Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

DareGod wrote: »
    It was a Michael Jackson tribute act in Andrews Lane Theatre, back in 2010 or something like that. It was absolutely horrific, mainly due to the terrible sound and the awful layout.

Oh wait...I went to one of those in the Olympia. Thought it'd be a bit of craic. Absolutely shocking, had to leave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

M People in the National Stadium .... what the fcuk was I doing there ? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

o emperor in the waterford a few years ago , by far the best part of the night was the burger on the way home.

any oxygen ,,, standing knee deep in muck and piss surrounded by aggressive stabby feral teenagers coked out of their faces with no clue who is on the stages .

thinking back it was a huge missed opportunity having all those people behind wire at one time without taking advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I got dragged to see Right Said Fred in the national stadium in 1997 by some lassie.
    Fck me, the things I used to do to get the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Has to be Dylan at the O2. A horrendous gig. Mumbled his way through the butchering of his catalogue. Sad to see such a man reduced to that.

Was at GnR at the O2 is 2010 and couldn't rate that as a terrible gig. You know you'll get that from Axl at some stage and it was entertaining in its own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

u2 in Croker in 2007, sound quality was completely rubbish-sound just bounced all around the stadium, making the whole set inaudible..paid 165e for two tickets for that ..still not happy, and woundnt go to see them again..

dishonourable mention goes to Garbage at Castlegar in 1997, the soundcheck lasted longer than the set...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

nm wrote: »
    Surprised the Neil Young Crazy Horse gig in the RDS hasn't been mentioned yet, I wasn't there but I remember people went berserk after that

Yeah, that was a dreadful day out.
    Some of it down to NY (20 mins of feedback to finish off "Walk Like A Giant" anyone?)
    But most of it down to the $hit venue, $hit sound, and $hit weather.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I consider myself lucky in that most gigs I've been to I'd consider good at the very least.

Worst was RHCP in Croker a few years ago.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Thats not a "gig" its a ""Disco"" ....... he he he
    I see you've play gigie-disco before then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

The Vines is another one I remember, think it was the Academy. It's easy to see why they never fulfilled on their early promise, poor live act, really messy and amateurish.

The singer has Aspergers or something. Heard they don't tour anymore because of his issues with that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 mud_raker

Specialun wrote: »
    Watching glastonbury here with the mrs..florance and the machine is depressing the sh!te out of me....

Whats the worst gig/concert youve ever been at

Florence was awesome last night

never been at a truly awful gig but I once went along to a meat loaf gig , hate his music but he rocked it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The singer has Aspergers or something. Heard they don't tour anymore because of his issues with that?

That's true, he's actually the only original member now left in the band. I think they still do a handful of shows in their native Australia each year but they have stopped touring internationally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Dave and Joe, the Harp Bar, Ballybofey 1992... accordion & electric guitar.
    Jesus thats one that I won't forget in a while, they never really shone again after that fiasco.A friends aunt regularly sees Dave playing the pub circuit out in lanzarote,looking tanned and relaxed.As for Joe....
    Poor old Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Meatloaf somewhere, can't even remember where it was, Fundoran maybe. Think he is consistently bad live though.

I was going to say meatloaf , he was at Fitzgerald stadium in Killarney . I was very disappointed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The Neil Young concert at the RDS was not that bad.
    Apart from the disinterested singer, bad sound, lousy weather, wind in wrong direction and warm beer.
    At least the Waterboys were half decent that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Beat on the Street '96, you could tell The Carter Twins were just going through the motions at that stage...the spark was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

James Taylor in the 02 a few years back.

Pure gick.

Specialun wrote: »
    Watching glastonbury here with the mrs..florance and the machine is depressing the sh!te out of me....

Whats the worst gig/concert youve ever been at

Florence surprised me massively. Poison Chalice that she unbelievably overcame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Menas wrote: »
    I got dragged to see Right Said Fred in the national stadium in 1997 by some lassie.
    Fck me, the things I used to do to get the ride.

Which one rode ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭blue note

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Clapton at Malahide. Not the best gig but right at the end I managed to get into the pit and he just started playing the hits and then the PA system went. The band kept playing even though nobody could hear anything. No apologies or refunds for that. Took over 2 hours to get out of the car park then to round it off nicely.

Logged in to post this. An absolute disgrace, I think we heard one of his hits before the sound went and then he was gone. It was shameful that there was no refund or second gig or anything.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Logged in to post this. An absolute disgrace, I think we heard one of his hits before the sound went and then he was gone. It was shameful that there was no refund or second gig or anything.

Mate of mine went too and was disgusted also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Went to see Tom Waits in the Marquee in Phoenix park in 2008 (i think) and although he was 'not baaaad', there was just no atmosphere in the tent. the tickets were disgustingly expensive, the acoustics were horrible and it seemed to be full of auld wans bitching an moaning the whole time.

And then a couple of years ago, we repeated the experience with ZZ Top and Elvis Costello at the Marquee in Cork (in my defence, someone told me that it was a proper venue) Both bands clearly phoned in their performance and were only there for the cash, there was no atmosphere and the acoustics were pants.

The only highlight of the trip was the amazing Ben Miller Band supporting ZZ Top, and the cheap booze in Cork itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

For me it was Marilyn Manson in Sweden this very day six years ago at Metaltown festival in Gothenburg. He couldn't get through a song without sucking down some oxygen from a tank he had. Any words he did manage were more numbled than sang. Special mention goes to Lostprophets supporting Metallica along with Slipknot at the RDS in 2004. Awful ****e.....and we all know how that story ends :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ken wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you on Mundy. Seen him twice live and I've seen better pub bands.

How he made any money out of music is beyond me. Nothing more then a bad busker.

Anther ****e gig was The Frames at Meeting House Square in Temple Bar a good few years back. If I remember they were put on as part of the HWCH festival. My mate kinda liked them and wanted to check them out, me not a fan at all but it was him who suggested we got the **** out of there. Boring as **** band, average beige sounding songs, boring singer... Entertainment it wasn't .. And still ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

John Newman yesterday at Rock Werchter. Kept trying to talk to and interact with the crowd when they weren't receptive. Couldn't hear him sing at all, the volume levels for his mic must've been a lot lower than the instruments. Also he seems pretty arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Meatloaf somewhere, can't even remember where it was, Fundoran maybe. Think he is consistently bad live though.

Saw Meatloaf in the o2 a couple of years ago and he absolutely rocked it. One of the best gigs i've been to. I heard he got booed off the stage the very next night in Belfast
    New Order supporting Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Lansdowne Road, 2002. I love New Order - and that's why I went to the gig, I'm not much of a fan of RHCP - but it was a disaster because N.O. weren't the right fit as support. Most of their fans didn't have a clue who they were and thought they were crap and gave them a load of abuse, with the result that New Order's bassist got really pissed off with them, and the tension just took away from the gig, ruined the atmosphere, and they couldn't wait to be done. Only time seeing them and it was such a disappointment, as I'd really been dying to see New Order in concert.

New Order were so terrible. It just felt like they kept playing Blue Monday over and over and over. Terrible support acts for RHCP that year

Worst gig i've ever been at was Coldplay @Oxegen '03. If I had a length of rope I would have hung myself

Best gig by far was System Of A Down in Wembly back in April

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Not watching Florence's Glastonbury performance (yet) but I saw her live in Coventry in 2012 and she was fantastic. She most definitely can sing live, whether one likes her voice/music is a different matter.
    Yeah I like Florence & The Machine - think they've some very good songs. Her voice is a bit whingey and shouty at times, but still a good singer IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A few years ago about 07 I think a group of us were chatting before The Who in marley park and we were bringing a mates 14 yr old nephew as his first gig he was also coming to the Rolling Stones that summer with us (might have been the other way round) and we were talking how it was ridiculous that his first gigs were top bands surely you should have to serve an apprenticeship and we ended up going around the table saying what our first gig was, mine was UB40 supported by the Pretenders Jamiroquai and Chaka Demus and pliers in the RDS, some people were at some dodgy ones when it got to my brother in law he admitted his first gig was S Club 7, he must have been 28 or 29 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

Motorhead in the Olympia a few years ago. I don't particularly like them, Lemmy had a cold, and I was cross-eyed with drink by the time they came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Guns 'N Roses in the O2 a few years back, the one where Rose threw a hissy fit and stormed off stage. It was beyond a shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

First gig was The Prodigy in the Point, New Year's Eve '94, a fecking baptism of fire I tell ya.

Worst, unfortunately because I used to worship the Clash, was this band called Carbon/Silicon with Mick Jones of the aforementioned and a few others. Bit if a shambles, left not long into it. Was in the Village and I'd say there was less than 50 people there. This was around the time pictures emerged of him, Kate Moss and Pete Doherty doing coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Steve_Carella

Aerosmith in Marley Park a few years ago - can't even remember what year it was. Admittedly the sound wasn't great on the night but the band was just appalling. Apart from their awful performance, they left out most of the hits - something they have a tendency to do live, apparently. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Birneybau wrote: »
    First gig was The Prodigy in the Point, New Year's Eve '94, a fecking baptism of fire I tell ya.

Worst, unfortunately because I used to worship the Clash, was this band called Carbon/Silicon with Mick Jones of the aforementioned and a few others. Bit if a shambles, left not long into it. Was in the Village and I'd say there was less than 50 people there. This was around the time pictures emerged of him, Kate Moss and Pete Doherty doing coke.

I was at that... If I remember Mick was passing cans of beer out to people in the audience. Wasn't the worst gig I was ever at but not near great either... The lack of people in attendance kinda put the kibosh on the atmosphere... As it tends to do...

Speaking of the Clash... I saw Joe Strummer with his band The Mescaleros a few times including the last gig he ever player at Liverpool Uni.. But he played a couple of times at The Olympia and tore the roof off the gaff each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Deep Purple in the Marquee 5 years(ish) back were absolutely fcuking horse****e.

I was so disappointed.

funny, I remember in 1988 when DP's House of Blue Light album was released, Dave Fanning was saying on his show how he thought we should all dig deep and buy the album so that they could retire in dignity.. and that was 27 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

funny, I remember in 1988 when DP's House of Blue Light album was released, Dave Fanning was saying on his show how he thought we should all dig deep and buy the album so that they could retire in dignity.. and that was 27 years ago.
    Sorry, this thread is about the worst gigs, not the worst DJ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

heres one gig to miss

pyrotechnics and crowded areas - will we never learn.

Strumms wrote: »
    I was at that... If I remember Mick was passing cans of beer out to people in the audience. Wasn't the worst gig I was ever at but not near great either... The lack of people in attendance kinda put the kibosh on the atmosphere... As it tends to do...

Speaking of the Clash... I saw Joe Strummer with his band The Mescaleros a few times including the last gig he ever player at Liverpool Uni.. But he played a couple of times at The Olympia and tore the roof off the gaff each time.

Maybe I should have hung on a bit longer. Yeah, saw Joe in his last gig in the Olympia. Sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

16 pages (on mobile) and nobody has mentioned the dire Police gig in Croke Park??? €130 a ticket to hear Sting elongate every vowel in every song. Eeeverry breeaaath youuuuuuu taaaake, it was painful. No energy, no backing singers, proved how much of their music was heavily produced in the studio. Went from being one of my all time favourite bands to one that I refused to listen to after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Went to see Nine Inch Nails in Manchester years ago. The music and show was phenomenal but the night was tainted by over zealous security guards.

They seemed to treat everyone like an utter criminal and Reznor himself even commented on it during the set.

Constantly shining torches into the crowd and the like. I was seated upstairs and one burly prick was trying to get by and was shouting at me like some sort of dog to get out of his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Bob Dylan at the Marquee in Cork a few years ago. Awful stuff. He didn't pick up a guitar once and mumbled his way through the setlist. Most of the songs were completely differently performed to how they were recorded. Like the earlier poster I wouldn't watch him live again even if he was in the front garden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

The after party for that was the stuff of legend.

Are you kidding me?

My parents were stung when they went to see The Band on night one of a two-night stint in the Olympia about a decade ago. Gig was so bad (hello London…songs all over the place…bass player wandered off and never came back) that people were refunded.

Next night? Scintillating. Reportedly one of the best gigs they ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Katy Perry. Ugh. And the stench of chung wans in the o2... nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ash headlining in the Point in 96, Jesus H it was god awful....

Still a terrible band IMO....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Radiohead, Malahide 2008, turned me off them ever since, though I still like the first three albums. Witness, 2003, before it was Oxegen was mostly ****, The Flaming Lips and The Mars Volta were alright though.

Radiohead, Malahide 2008, turned me off them ever since, though I still like the first three albums. Witness, 2003, before it was Oxegen was mostly ****, The Flaming Lips and The Mars Volta were alright though.

I thought that Radiohead gig was fecking great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭LeBash

Fun lovin criminals donkey's years ago in the olympia. Walk out after 6 songs. They looked wrecked on the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

Bon Jovi in Punchestown - can't remember the year but was so disappointed - very bland concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dublintweety

Bon Jovi in Punchestown - can't remember the year but was so disappointed - very bland concert. Kid Rock played support & he was the hilight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Garth Brooks summer 2014

Shane Filan was the support act. He was awful. Garth Brooks didn't play any of his songs at all. Tickets were a nightmare to get. Worst €200 spent on done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

mapaco wrote:
    Paolo nutini last november-so disappointed.......BUT its very subjective cos a girl near me at the show was losing the plot at how amazing he was so.....its only my humble opinion!

Don't say that! Going to see him next weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement