Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Not at it but watching the worst ever. Kanye West at Glasto.

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Clapton at Malahide. Not the best gig but right at the end I managed to get into the pit and he just started playing the hits and then the PA system went. The band kept playing even though nobody could hear anything. No apologies or refunds for that. Took over 2 hours to get out of the car park then to round it off nicely.

+1 on this and it pissed rain most of the time as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not at it but watching the worst ever. Kanye West at Glasto.

Shocking.

That's not the point of the thread though.
    We could all look up youtube and post things.

FWIW, I thought Kanye started well, went a bit **** for the last couple of songs, but he seems to have the fans on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Meatloaf somewhere, can't even remember where it was, Fundoran maybe. Think he is consistently bad live though.

Was that the one that wad postponed for 24 hours? I was at that and thought he was great!

Dt. Hook for me. They weren't bad but the drummer was loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

I've seen Dylan many time times over the years, some good some horrendous. If you've already seen him you know it can go a bit pear shaped (also stand up Mr Ryan Adams).

But last year in the 3Arena finished it for me. Just awful. Went to the toilet and the missus rang me to say she'd couldn't take any more and was already on her way to the car park.

Badly Drawn Boy, Olympia in the early 2000's he was pissed and came across as a total twat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Jesus watching a bit of that Kayne West Glastonbury gig. Glad im not at it utterly useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

RHCP in Croker a couple of years ago wasn't great. Always find the sound there shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Foo fighters at slane. It went a little something like this
    1. Queue
    2. Purchase alcohol that tastes a bit like piss
    3.queue for 45 minutes.
    4. Toilet.
    5. Rain.
    6. Queue for 20 minutes to purchase alcohol that tastes like piss.
    7. Queue for 45 minutes for the toilet.
    8. Rain

Shame because the foos do such a great show but slane is just a total mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

The Blizzards somewhere in Dublin (I think maybe the Academy or somewhere like that). I didn't even really like them but a friend gave me and another friend a pair of tickets as a thank you for helping her with something so we had to go to say we used them.

They didn't create an atmosphere or get the crowd going at all and what's his face Bressie just sounded pissed off. After about three songs Bressie said they'd be filming the crowd for their latest music video so everyone should be excited. When their perform failed to elicit that response he roared, "Come on to fcuk and clap." We decided to leave at that stage.

I saw Mundy at a bar ex in the NUIM SU as well and it was shocking. The way the bar is set up is that once you're in you can head to the venue part where bands play or go to the main bar and dance. The gang of us stuck our heads in the door to see how the Mundy gig was going. It sounded just like the recorded version, which seemed a bit strange until we realised that it was the recorded version - he was miming, which he clearly demonstrated when he stopped mouthing the words and started twirling his guitar around but the song kept going. Allegedly he was unimpressed that it wasn't a sit-down gig where the bar would be closed during the performance. At a bar extension. In a college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

conorhal wrote: »

One of the worst gigs I was ever at was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park. Well I wasn't there to see them actually, I was there to see the Pixies, who had just reformed (for the cash).

So was the rest of the crowd.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers died the death, they'd been upstaged by their support act and a disinterested crowd treated them like a pub cover band.

Boy they looked pissed.

I was at this gig and what actually happened was half of the PA system went down during the Pixies set (with an audible bang) and it wasn't fixed. You could barely hear the Chili Peppers while they were on unless you were directly in front of the stage. Complete waste of time and money.

Another terrible gig involving ****ty PA systems and engineers was Ian Brown and Supergrass in Barcelona. Ian Browns auto-tuner kept cutting out which was hilarious as he'd go from sounding half decent to absolute ****e throughout his set. Supergrass sounded like they were playing in a tunnel which was fairly disappointing.

Best gig, Faith No More in the Olympia. Absolutely electric atmosphere and incredible performance. Saw them in London last week and just as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

UB40 in Leisureland Galway years ago... first time I realised a gig could be ****, even if you liked the band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

efb wrote: »
    Katy Perry. Ugh. And the stench of chung wans in the o2... nasty

A friend who works crew at all the venues around dublin told me that following any gig by a boyband or similar there's a palpable odour of pubescent vadge in the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

David Kitt, Garavogue, Sligo 2001-2002ish. Craptacular. Droney sh1te with 5 minutes of noise and feedback in the end which of course sent the **** watching into delirium. Been lucky really. Never seen much bad apart from that. I suppose I went to gigs I wanted to see rather than random ones like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

U2 in Croke a few years ago. We were right at the back and top of the Davin section and the sound was awful. Got one side hit us well before the other, so much so it was unlistenable. Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

sabat wrote: »
    A friend who works crew at all the venues around dublin told me that following any gig by a boyband or similar there's a palpable odour of pubescent vadge in the air.

not really familiar with that smell m8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 aislinnb

Saw John Legend in Cork on Tuesday, couldn't get over the disappointment of it, not a huge fan but did expect something, left after All Of Me, tickets were free from competition. A lot of people would of paid the €55 to see him, wasn't that full, but still it was shocking. He was too up close to the microphone and speakers were just too loud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Kinda embarrassing seen as ye are comparing actual bands mostly but last year I had the misfortune of having to bring a few service users where I work to see Chris Brown in the O2. My god, what a talentless p!!!k

He hasn't played in Ireland since 2012, has he? I thought he was having visa issues due to his assault conviction.

The only one I ever bailed on was Bryan Adams.

Not even sure why we went, must have been free tickets, saw him punch the air a few times (putting his hand up was a good idea, or else you'd forget where he was cos he's about 4 foot tall), and his fans punched the air back, and got out before I became an air puncher too. He may have been great, just not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

aislinnb wrote: »
    Saw John Legend in Cork on Tuesday, couldn't get over the disappointment of it, not a huge fan but did expect something, left after All Of Me, tickets were free from competition. A lot of people would of paid the €55 to see him, wasn't that full, but still it was shocking. He was too up close to the microphone and speakers were just too loud!

obviously your opinion but your wrong :), was at the gig myself with zero interest as my missus likes him, firstly marquee has never had one sound complaint ever its one of the reasons its so successful. bearing in mind most of his set is him signing into a mic from a piano dunno how you though he was too close to a mic, all in all was an enjoyable gig with about 4k at it which isnt bad going for a tues in cork it only takes 5k but is set up way bigger for health and safety reasons.

bloc party at oxegen was the worst gig i was ever at keli was so drunk he was falling all the place and unlike the rolling stones or any band notorious for the party scene that still manage to play live he was in cable of even standing, they broke up ot took a "break" straight after that weekend

firstly marquee has never had one sound complaint ever its one of the reasons its so successful...

I presume that is a joke, many people complain about the sound at the Marquee.

It's successful as Cork has no other venue for a 3/4,000 size crowd. Even Killarney has a proper events centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

KoL and the Pixies in the old Lansdowne Rd. That place should never have held gigs. Could not hear a thing with the wind passing through it. We actually went from the pit to sit in the stand during the Pixies set, did not make the slightest bit of difference.

Also saw the Frames in Vicar St once. Fair enough Glen, you wanted to play new stuff and not your known popular songs, no need to be a complete knob about it when someone shouted up a request.

theteal wrote: »
    Also saw the Frames in Vicar St once. Fair enough Glen, you wanted to play new stuff and not your known popular songs, no need to be a complete knob about it when someone shouted up a request.

That surprises me.

I'd rather perforate my eardrums than listen to the Frames but thought he was supposed to be a nice guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

I presume that is a joke, many people complain about the sound at the Marquee.

It's successful as Cork has no other venue for a 3/4,000 size crowd. Even Killarney has a proper events centre.

presume all you want, i was serious,

presume all you want, i was serious,

Well you were wrong. Lots of people complain. I'm just surprised that someone didn't know this. I should say it doesn't bother me, I know I am going to a tent with terrible sound so it's hardly a shock to find a tent with terrible sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

Guns and roses Slane 92. Sucked mules..

Srsly, best part of it was the coca cola cups being thrown in the air bit... Literally, everybody was so bored for the two hours + it took them to go onstage that they started throwing empty cups in the air.

You know I've been hearing people say how amazing that gig was for years and wondered was I at a different gig or something, what a bunch of overated fúcks.

My worst gig was probably Metallica in the point in '92, we were so looking forward to it but what a let down, I spent the last twenty minutes in the foyer. I think that's where my affection for them ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Kings of leon at oxygen a few years back . they were god awful . it was like they didnt give a ****e and were just going through the motions . no emotion from them at all . really turned me off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Oasis at Slane
    Bob Dylan in Galway
    Stereophonics acoustic gig in New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

Why does she even talk, just sing and get it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭frink

Snow Patrol in Marlay Park one year. Left after 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciartastix

madonna at slane with iggy top as support. AWFUL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Guns and roses Slane 92. Sucked mules..

Srsly, best part of it was the coca cola cups being thrown in the air bit... Literally, everybody was so bored for the two hours + it took them to go onstage that they started throwing empty cups in the air.

My brother was at this, and although he was a big GnR fan at the time, said it was terrible.

The general consensus is that Faith No More blew GnR off the stage and then some, which I would easily believe as FNM were an incredible live band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Prince's Trust Concert in Hyde Park London many moons ago....

it was cold and over-sold i was at the back could hardly see the stage, even with the big screens

on the bill...Alanis Morrisette sang out of tune, Bob Dylan boring & miserable as usual, Eric Clapton boring and the Who doing quadrophinia with special guest...Gary Glitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paulo nutini last year at electric picnic, was just very disappointing.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Shred

My brother was at this, and although he was a big GnR fan at the time, said it was terrible.

The general consensus is that Faith No More blew GnR off the stage and then some, which I would easily believe as FNM were an incredible live band.
    Oh yeah FNM were definitely the band of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

obviously your opinion but your wrong :), was at the gig myself with zero interest as my missus likes him, firstly marquee has never had one sound complaint ever its one of the reasons its so successful. bearing in mind most of his set is him signing into a mic from a piano dunno how you though he was too close to a mic, all in all was an enjoyable gig with about 4k at it which isnt bad going for a tues in cork it only takes 5k but is set up way bigger for health and safety reasons.

bloc party at oxegen was the worst gig i was ever at keli was so drunk he was falling all the place and unlike the rolling stones or any band notorious for the party scene that still manage to play live he was in cable of even standing, they broke up ot took a "break" straight after that weekend

The sound at the Marquee is notoriously ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

That surprises me.

I'd rather perforate my eardrums than listen to the Frames but thought he was supposed to be a nice guy.

I thought it was well know that Hansard is very 'precious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

It seems Bob Dylan wins it by a mile( few friends have seen him and the reaction is always the same, awful) me I thought linkin park in 08 were poor just going through the motions and barely interaction to the crowd, Queen's of the Stone age were their support and they were excellent, best id say were mastadon in Marley park supporting metallica, never heard of them till that gig and I thought they were brilliant and rammstein a few years back were amazing as well just the sheer craziness of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I was at that chilli peppers gig in 04 and to me grove armada blew peppers out of the water. Pity they were on so early and a lot of people didn't see them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Birneybau wrote: »
    I thought it was well know that Hansard is very 'precious'.
    I'd put much of the Kitt/Hayes/Hansard/Mundy "in" crowd in the same category. Insufferable.

• Advertisement

Probably deserves it's own thread, but for **** combos you can't beat Alanis Morisette supported by Tori Amos. I really really wanted to see Amos but no f...ing way I was shelling out for the whiney auld bayitch headliner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Saw REM in their early days at the Kentish Town and Country Club and they were absolutely brilliant...years later I got tickets to see them at Ardgillan Castle with Moby as support (I wouldn't have been a Moby fan at all..) - Stipe spent most of the gig waffling about Ang-shang-sue-chung or whatever her name is, the burmese woman and generally being a pretentious gimp - and Moby rocked the place, brilliant live..

I also suffered through Snow Patrol at the Point and it was flat as a fart. They looked almost as bored to be there as I was..although That Petrol Emotion back in the day had their moments of crappery too...I remember trying hard to stay awake at one of their gigs it was so sh*t..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

They still are

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'd put much of the Kitt/Hayes/Hansard/Mundy "in" crowd in the same category. Insufferable.

I believe Christy Moore and Van Morrison are in that bracket too, no idea if they are good or bad live but apparently probe to strops.

I believe Christy Moore and Van Morrison are in that bracket too, no idea if they are good or bad live but apparently probe to strops.
    I only saw Christy at the legendary Feile in Tipp. Have to say he was great craic and was full of beans. Really paid attention to the crowd. Maybe the Cork prima donna thing has grown stronger with age...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Eeden wrote: »
    UB40 in Leisureland Galway years ago... first time I realised a gig could be ****, even if you liked the band.

You just reminded me of seeing them playing in Millstreet maybe 10years ago. Wouldn't be a massive fan, but my ex wanted to go see them.
    Hands down, the roughest gig I was ever at. The music wasn't too bad (although The Wailers supporting them were waaay better), but I have never seen so many fights in my life. Travellers everywhere, both men & women, kicking lumps out of each other. The car park outside was FULL of transit vans/caravans & campervans.
    UB40 actually stopped the music at one stage to announce they would be packing up and leaving if the fighting didn't stop. We actually headed home early ourselves to get away from the trouble.
    Pity it ruined the music, but it made it a very memorableg gig lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The Streets at Oxegen were also terrible.

Haha. I was actually going to post this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Yes at the Wembley Arena in the late 70s/early 80s. Nothing I've ever attended comes close to its soul-destroyting awfulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Not had a bad gig really as far as I remember. Bell X1 were playing FF, watched their set as I like a couple of songs but was as bored as ****. I was even bored listening to the songs I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TRADES SUPPLY AVAILABLE

Frito wrote: »
    Not had a bad gig really as far as I remember. Bell X1 were playing FF, watched their set as I like a couple of songs but was as bored as ****. I was even bored listening to the songs I liked.

Do you mean "Bell end one" ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Birneybau wrote: »
    First gig was The Prodigy in the Point, New Year's Eve '94, a fecking baptism of fire I tell ya.

Also my first proper gig,how I can even recall it so clearly truly is a miracle. Black grape were also on the bill that night if memory serves me correct.

• Advertisement
Advertisement