Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

U2 in Croke a few years ago. We were right at the back and top of the Davin section and the sound was awful. Got one side hit us well before the other, so much so it was unlistenable. Dreadful.

Yeah, seen The Police there around eight years back and the sound was coming through the tannoy where we were seated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Had the unfortunate experience of seeing snow patrol at oxygen. Christ.
    Was that the year the drummer got arrested at the airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

eeguy wrote: »
    Was that the year the drummer got arrested at the airport?

No idea, it was around 8 years ago though.

Pity the whole lot of them didn't get arrested.

Edit: checked and apparently the keyboard player was arrested shortly before they took to the stage. Presumably for crimes against music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭clairek6

Amanda brunker at oxygen, still having nightmares 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'd put much of the Kitt/Hayes/Hansard/Mundy "in" crowd in the same category. Insufferable.

Hansard takes himself very very seriously and thinks he is a very important person. Ie. The guy is a dick ..I know several people who have worked with him and nobody ever has a good word to say about him. I also encountered him throwing a strop in a guitar store because your man behind the counter was reading him back his own mobile number to make sure they had it right.... "Ohh FFS I don't need everyone knowing my number and getting hassle". Funny as at this time they were only starting to become known and playing the likes of Whelans, also I was the only one in the shop at the time... The final straw though was when I read an interview where he compared himself to Jeff Tweedy.. Around when Wilco were in their prime.. Tosser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

No idea, it was around 8 years ago though.

Pity the whole lot of them didn't get arrested.

Edit: checked and apparently the keyboard player was arrested shortly before they took to the stage. Presumably for crimes against music.

Interesting. They've gone up a little in my estimation. Always considered themselves and Coldplay to be dull tea-drinking dry wusses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Strumms wrote: »
    Hansard takes himself very very seriously and thinks he is a very important person. Ie. The guy is a dick ..I know several people who have worked with him and nobody ever has a good word to say about him. I also encountered him throwing a strop in a guitar store because your man behind the counter was reading him back his own mobile number to make sure they had it right.... "Ohh FFS I don't need everyone knowing my number and getting hassle". Funny as at this time they were only starting to become known and playing the likes of Whelans, also I was the only one in the shop at the time... The final straw though was when I read an interview where he compared himself to Jeff Tweedy.. Around when Wilco were in their prime.. Tosser...
    Do you remember that Irish music awards when Paddy Casey won and he said "It's not about winning, it's about beating Glen Hansard" during the acceptance? Makes me think now he wasn't even making a joke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

James Taylor at Kilkenny was torturous. Support by Bryan Ferry, Katie Melua and Juliet Taylor. A day I will never have again. Taylor could not be arsed, he even got Ferry to swap with him so he could go home early and have his tea at Mount Juliet, leaving Ferry to play to a quarter-filled Nowlan Park of people who arrived late to see James Taylor....

It was the first gig I ever went to with my now-wife after a nasty break-up with someone else. Worth it though, when I consider it was the day everything went right for me. And I got to meet John Martyn in the crowd and shake his hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Probably The Smashing Pumpkins in the RDS Simmonscourt in 2008. It wasn't awful or anything, but it was in a venue I hate with a passion and the sound was complete muck that night. Billy Corgan was also completely full of himself and dragging the song 'United States' (from the God-awful Zeitgeist) out to about 20 minutes was an exercise in tedious self-indulgence. Probably the only gig I've been to where I left disappointed.

Also Maximo Park at Oxegen 2006. How a band that boring, unoriginal and sloppy made it onto the main stage was beyond me. Their lead singer and keyboard player were obviously wasted as well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

James Taylor at Kilkenny was torturous. Support by Bryan Ferry, Katie Melua and Juliet Taylor. A day I will never have again. Taylor could not be arsed, he even got Ferry to swap with him so he could go home early and have his tea at Mount Juliet, leaving Ferry to play to a quarter-filled Nowlan Park of people who arrived late to see James Taylor....

I was at that. I thought Brian Ferry was running late which is why Taylor went on before him. That was what we were told by the staff as we were right up front. Was an okay gig - not the worst by a mile. I didn't stay to see Brian Ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Do comedy gigs count?
    If so, I can tell you that I once went to see Dylan Moran in Vicar Street a few years back.
    I loved him in Black Books so I was expecting a bit more of the same brand of humour but nope- onstage that night, he was slurring his words, obviously phoning it in and forgetting what joke he told whilst rambling on and on trying to get to the punchlines.
    It was painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Pixies in Perth, actually walked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

McChubbin wrote: »
    Do comedy gigs count?
    If so, I can tell you that I once went to see Dylan Moran in Vicar Street a few years back.
    I loved him in Black Books so I was expecting a bit more of the same brand of humour but nope- onstage that night, he was slurring his words, obviously phoning it in and forgetting what joke he told whilst rambling on and on trying to get to the punchlines.
    It was painful to watch.
    Dylan Moran is a bit like the weather i find.Sometimes brilliant,sometimes sh1te,but never consistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

sabat wrote: »
    A friend who works crew at all the venues around dublin told me that following any gig by a boyband or similar there's a palpable odour of pubescent vadge in the air.

your friend sounds like a creep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Eurythmics at Wembley Areana sometime in the late 80's was 2 hours of hell!

Both Van Morisson and James Taylor at Lisdoon - probably different years but memory is bit hazy.

Have seen The Fall live about a dozen times and whilst most of the times they were incredible a couple have been pure sh1te!

Lou Reed at the Point a few years ago was fairly dire.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Special mention goes to Lostprophets supporting Metallica along with Slipknot at the RDS in 2004. Awful ****e.....and we all know how that story ends :pac:

Logged in to post exactly this! Dreadful altogether, thankfully they got booed off the stage after only a couple of songs, so the ordeal wasn't as drawn out as it could have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Pixies in Perth, actually walked out.

Pixies at Marley park last year. Frank Black walked out after something like 40 minutes saying 'my guitar string broke'.
    Wnker. I had seen them about 5 times before that and always a great gig. But wont be seeing them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Everlong1

You just reminded me of seeing them playing in Millstreet maybe 10years ago. Wouldn't be a massive fan, but my ex wanted to go see them.
    Hands down, the roughest gig I was ever at. The music wasn't too bad (although The Wailers supporting them were waaay better), but I have never seen so many fights in my life. Travellers everywhere, both men & women, kicking lumps out of each other. The car park outside was FULL of transit vans/caravans & campervans.
    UB40 actually stopped the music at one stage to announce they would be packing up and leaving if the fighting didn't stop. We actually headed home early ourselves to get away from the trouble.
    Pity it ruined the music, but it made it a very memorableg gig lol

What is it about toe rags and reggae ? Seriously? Has anyone ever noticed the correlation between knack bags (and I don't mean Pavees, I mean knackers as in general scumbag druggie types) and reggae? They love their Bob Marley, and of course they're usually racist as fu*k too.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    U2 two years ago.

It's at least five years since U2 toured last. It's a rare U2 gig that isn't good. What was so terrible about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Does anyone have any good stories of comedians bombing? I remember hearing that a drunken Andrew Maxwell was booed off stage at the Cat Laughs festival a few years ago.

Jinx Lennon - what a douche, Im sure he appeals to angry 14 year olds but he comes across as a knob end

Best gig ever - Duke Special in the Roisin Dubh in Galway, supported by Duffy before she became pretty famous.

That's unfair. Jinx Lennon is an acquired taste alright but he's a good performer. I've seen him many times.

Sweet suffering Christ on the cross. You could have fuc*ing warned us first Tom. I'm a hardcore U2 fan but I may never be able to listen to that song again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Sweet suffering Christ on the cross. You could have fuc*ing warned us first Tom. I'm a hardcore U2 fan but I may never be able to listen to that song again.

Still trying to keep this morning's toast down, I'm afraid I'm loosing this battle......

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Eminem was middling at Slane, on stage for just over an hour and only performed a verse from each song. It was reported that he performed 21 songs, but none of them were the full thing! It was debatable if he performed live either.

Prior to him, Plan B was on. Most people there were a bit disappointed, because for every other gig on Eminem's tour, his last support act was none other than Kendrick Lamar. As such, Plan B got a very mild reception. He didn't take this very well, and proceeded to insult and goad the crowd for the duration of his performance. He also demanded tequila 20 minutes into the set, so he'd be able to finish without going "facking insaneee.."

Gas man :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Does anyone have any good stories of comedians bombing? I remember hearing that a drunken Andrew Maxwell was booed off stage at the Cat Laughs festival a few years ago.

Went to see Simon Amstell in Vicar St. a few years ago. Thought he was great on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. €32 for a ticket and he was on stage for 50 minutes. He spent 25 of those telling this long story about having some transcendent trippy experience in a tent in the himylayas. The story was a cure for insomnia and did not achieve a single giggle from the c.1000 people in the crowd. He even said 'wow you clearly didn't like that did you?' to which the crowd responded No! He received a half hearted applause at the end and everyone left giving out stink that they'd been ripped off. Really disappointing, was a big fan of him before that, wouldn't cross the road to go see him now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Also my first proper gig,how I can even recall it so clearly truly is a miracle. Black grape were also on the bill that night if memory serves me correct.

You remember correctly. Black Grape, Liquid Wheel and Fourth Dimension. Jaysus! : D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I went to see Jim Jefferies at a gig in Arizona. He didn't bomb but he opened with his bit about gun control (I'm sure on purpose) which split the crowd but by the end of it, he had everybody laughing along.

I also went to see Norm MacDonald. He was way too clever for the room. There wasn't one bad moment, it was his entire set. It got some laughs but very few. He's not really a punchline comedian. His warm up was the opposite too, he was full of one liners and punchlines. e.g. A bird is the only animal, that if you throw it, you're helping it. Which wasn't a great lead in for a 5 minute bit about Hitlers Dog.

Norm has a reputation, though. He bombs on purpose. He went on one of those crappy Roasts and read jokes from a 1950's joke book with absolutely no indication to what he was doing at the time. Telling jokes like "his head looks like a flower, yeah, a cauliflower". "If you need to go to the restroom later, don't worry that the door say's Gentlemen on it. There is no door that says Scoundrel...on..it"

One of his most infamous stories of bombing was a charity gig in Iowa. He had to leave the state right after the gig because the Governor was in attendance and got p1ssed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I wonder what the lads over at the Glastonbury thread were smoking... almost universal approval of Kanye Sing Noye Can't over there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Birneybau wrote: »
    You remember correctly. Black Grape, Liquid Wheel and Fourth Dimension. Jaysus! : D

I was at that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

morrissey in the 3arena last december. he sounded good but performed mostly new songs and showed videos of animals being murdered and bull fighters being killed. went with a bus load of morrissey fanatics and it was like a funeral coming home because of the set he done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

not really familiar with that smell m8

Weren't good with the ladies back in secondary school so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Paulo nutini last year at electric picnic, was just very disappointing.

What?? I'm not even a fan of him and that was a very very good set. Crowd was immense and you could see how much he enjoyed being there, the point where he knelt down and just soaked it in, what you want to see from a performer. Vocals were very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

The Rolling Stones are the worst live act I've ever seen by a long, long way. They sounded terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

Jinx Lennon - what a douche, Im sure he appeals to angry 14 year olds but he comes across as a knob end

Best gig ever - Duke Special in the Roisin Dubh in Galway, supported by Duffy before she became pretty famous.

duke special is terrible live. He's like Tim Minchin without the musical talent or comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

aqualung supporting the cranberries many many years ago. The first and only time I had to resist the temptation to start throwing things at a band. They were the antithesis of a 'warm up act' as when the main act came on the crowd was somewhere between suicidal and comatose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I saw Outkast last August at Sziget in Budapest.
    Not a big Outkast fan but had listened to a fair amount of their stuff in preparation.
    Sweet mother of god they were horrific.
    Even their big songs like Hey Ya and Sorry Miss Jackson were piss poor.
    Worst act of the 7 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Saw sonic youth a few times, sometimes they more or less reproduced the album tracks but if you were unlucky it could descend into complete and utter drivel. You had to try hard to enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I saw Outkast last August at Sziget in Budapest.
    Not a big Outkast fan but had listened to a fair amount of their stuff in preparation.
    Sweet mother of god they were horrific.
    Even their big songs like Hey Ya and Sorry Miss Jackson were piss poor.
    Worst act of the 7 days!

Had the exact same experience in Sziget a fair number of years back with Faithless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Comedians - That abusive Scottish pr1ck Frankie Boyle. I walked out half way through, jokes about vaginal cancer and disabled people. Nice one.

Most people loved it. In fairness it was a ticket someone gave me for free , fortunately I didn't pay. I know I was in the minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Rolling stones a couple of years ago. They looked and played like old men. They did play all the hits to be fair to them and gave a good solid 2.5 hour show but it lacked life. It was not a terrible gig but they did really look like they were just going through the motions.

I guess what more could be expected of guys of their age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Kraftwerk.. booring.. kind of a retro bandwagon going on there.

Yeah they have made a great living touring around the place - looking cool and old and playing horribly boring boring emotionless music

Saw them once at Electric Picnic over 10 years ago and think I gave up trying to get into the buzz of it after about 20 minutes or so

I just watched a clip of them again on youtube live and you can see people in the crowd are all expecting to be blown away, four cool old men walk out, an even cooler video is on in the background and then the music comes on and just does nothing for anyone

Seriously, who keeps going to their bloody gigs? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

for my sins I ended up working at Oxygen one year.
    Snoop dog was utter cock.

Sugar Babes at Oxgen. And it was the only "gig" i got to that weekend too. Devo

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I was brought to Bob Dylan back in 2004/2005 in the Point in Dublin.
    You couldn't really hear anything except this shrivelled old man mumbling into a tinny sounding mic for fvcking hours.
    I'd say if you're into Bob Dylan it was deadly but to a 17 year old me it was worse than a 2.5 hour-long mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Comedians - That abusive Scottish pr1ck Frankie Boyle. I walked out half way through, jokes about vaginal cancer and disabled people. Nice one.

Most people loved it. In fairness it was a ticket someone gave me for free , fortunately I didn't pay. I know I was in the minority.

Did you know his shtick before you went?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Couldn't agree more. Fat pasty faced cnut. The 'right on' crowd love him. Lemmings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Did you know his shtick before you went?
    Have to wonder that myself. Sounds a bit like leaving a Pogues gig in outrage because Shane McGowan was drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Probably The Smashing Pumpkins in the RDS Simmonscourt in 2008. It wasn't awful or anything, but it was in a venue I hate with a passion and the sound was complete muck that night. Billy Corgan was also completely full of himself and dragging the song 'United States' (from the God-awful Zeitgeist) out to about 20 minutes was an exercise in tedious self-indulgence. Probably the only gig I've been to where I left disappointed.

Also Maximo Park at Oxegen 2006. How a band that boring, unoriginal and sloppy made it onto the main stage was beyond me. Their lead singer and keyboard player were obviously wasted as well.

I actually came on here to post about the Pumpkins gig. I ended up going out for a pint during that 20 minutes of pure guitar w@nk. Billy Corgan, as usual, went out of his way to be a complete prick, and I just found the whole gig very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Slayer back in the point a few years ago 07/08 , they were awful and only played what seemed like half a set.

They played Hellfest in 2010 as well which I was at, was going to give them a miss based on the above gig but strolled down anyway and they killed it , they were brilliant...guess it was just a bad gig in Ireland or they weren't as arsed as a big festival.

Advertisement