Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Probably Ghostface Killa in The Village a few years ago. I'm a pretty big fan of his, but he came on stage with about 10 other lads, all with mics who had carte blanch to use them where and when they felt necessary. And not necessarily anything to do with the song being performed at the time.
    The DJ also had a gunshot effect on his mixer which he used randomly.
    So it was fairly messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I actually came on here to post about the Pumpkins gig. I ended up going out for a pint during that 20 minutes of pure guitar w@nk. Billy Corgan, as usual, went out of his way to be a complete prick, and I just found the whole gig very boring.

I didn't think it was great but I didnt think it was too bad. Started and ended well, but United States was pretty good. Finishing with Cherub Rock was fun I thought.

Worst gig I ever went to was The Lumineers up in Belfast. They weren't too bad, but absolutely nobody was into it much until they played their one famous song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

Menas wrote: »
    Pixies at Marley park last year. Frank Black walked out after something like 40 minutes saying 'my guitar string broke'.
    Wnker. I had seen them about 5 times before that and always a great gig. But wont be seeing them again.

They played 22 songs as a support act so I can't really see why length would be a problem: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2014/marlay-park-dublin-ireland-4bc1a302.html

The guitar breaking was annoying but it was probably going to be their last song anyway (maybe Monkey Gone to Heaven too). It would have taken a few minutes to sort things out, a nightmare for a band who avoid any interaction with the crowd so they decided to leave it at that. Yeah it was dissapointing but somewhat understandable.

Anyway my worst gig was the XX in the O2 in 2013. They were lost in such a big venue and the set was dull. The crowd were terrible too, chatting throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Macklemore Marley Park 2014. Gig delayed by about 45 mins due to a software issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Did you know his shtick before you went?

More or less, but I thought I'd throw a few beers back and "get over" the more offensive bits.

My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Oasis at Maine Road Manchester many years ago. The concert was fine, it was just the hour of terror afterwards being hunted as prey by the locals from Rusholme and Moss Side which made it, errr, memorable.

New Order at Brixton Academy. Never the best live band anyway, the sound was truly truly terrible. Left after a couple of mumbled songs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Probably Ghostface Killa in The Village a few years ago. I'm a pretty big fan of his, but he came on stage with about 10 other lads, all with mics who had carte blanch to use them where and when they felt necessary. And not necessarily anything to do with the song being performed at the time.
    The DJ also had a gunshot effect on his mixer which he used randomly.
    So it was fairly messy.

I was at that too and it was pretty shambolic, but every Wu Tang related gig (and I've seen every single one in Ireland) is like that-it's part of the charm. Generally speaking, the more original core members that show up the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

iDave wrote: »
    Macklemore Marley Park 2014. Gig delayed by about 45 mins due to a software issue.

45 min delay is nothing compared to many, many gigs I've been to :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Jesus the Oasis, there's a blast from the past, probably long gone now is it?

the nightclub in galway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Everlong1 wrote: »
    What is it about toe rags and reggae ? Seriously? Has anyone ever noticed the correlation between knack bags (and I don't mean Pavees, I mean knackers as in general scumbag druggie types) and reggae? They love their Bob Marley, and of course they're usually racist as fu*k too.

old joke around dublin was UB40 gigs in caused a massive drop in crime around the city on the night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Years ago, I took one of my sisters kids to see a band called POD (not the dublin act some wanky teen nu metal band) in the olympia

I would have watched every band member be burned to death on a two bar heater and not felt an ounce of empathy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

Worst gig I was ever at was "Chumbawumba" - in fairness it would have been naive to have expected anything else. If I'd have burnt that £30 in my belly button it would have been better used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

conorhal wrote: »
    Well let the karmic justice commence!

One of the worst gigs I was ever at was the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the Phoenix Park. Well I wasn't there to see them actually, I was there to see the Pixies, who had just reformed (for the cash).

So was the rest of the crowd.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers died the death, they'd been upstaged by their support act and a disinterested crowd treated them like a pub cover band.

Boy they looked pissed.
    Didn't the Pixies blow the speakers on them. I got fried the same day:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭furiousox

InReality wrote: »
    the nightclub in galway ?

Carrickmacross I think.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

obviously your opinion but your wrong :), was at the gig myself with zero interest as my missus likes him, firstly marquee has never had one sound complaint ever its one of the reasons its so successful. bd
    Your opinion is wrong too :rolleyes:

The Marquee has had problem with sound before, saw The National in 2013 and the sound was pretty poor throughout, saw them again in 2014 and the sound was way, way better.

Personally, I would say The Frames at Oxegen in 05 I think it was, they were on just before Green Day and after QOTSA, QOTSA absolutley killed it and I was buzzing, then Glenn and the boys came on and it was just so god damn boring and dreary and depressing..was right at the front too which probably made it worse

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Oasis at Maine Road Manchester many years ago. The concert was fine, it was just the hour of terror afterwards being hunted as prey by the locals from Rusholme and Moss Side which made it, errr, memorable.

New Order at Brixton Academy. Never the best live band anyway, the sound was truly truly terrible. Left after a couple of mumbled songs.

Looked a good concert from the video anyway. Were u at knebworth by any chance?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I can't think of many, the Black Grape one mentioned earlier was a head fck and another one I didn't enjoy was Primal Scream in Galway 96/97 can't remember exactly. It was very rock orientated whereas I preferred the Screamadelica album, the crowd was nasty and the sound was awful.
    Best ones were The Cure, INXS, The Levellers simply for the energy they brought on stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

siblers wrote: »

Personally, I would say The Frames at Oxegen in 05 I think it was, they were on just before Green Day and after QOTSA, QOTSA absolutley killed it and I was buzzing, then Glenn and the boys came on and it was just so god damn boring and dreary and depressing..was right at the front too which probably made it worse

Was at that myself and The Frames really killed the atmosphere. While far from being the worst gig I was also unimpressed with Green Day...had seen them in the Point the January and the Oxegen performance was pretty much the exact same show. It's a shame they have gone down the route of doing choreographed musical performances rather than gigs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Thought of another one. The actual gig was good but deciding to drop the strongest acid around and go to a Therapy? concert was never high up on the right things to do list. Scarred for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Oasis 96 in Cork.
    They spent the entire time fighting on stage and it was cringeworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Foo Fighters in Marley Park 2007, NiN and the Sliversun Pickups played great sets, Foo Fighters were awful, stretching out songs and Dave going yeeeaahh every two seconds, only gig I ever left before the end.

Also The Lemonheads in the early 90s, Evan Dando was totally out of it, fell off the stage twice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

The Marquee has had problem with sound before, saw The National in 2013 and the sound was pretty poor throughout, saw them again in 2014 and the sound was way, way better.

I was a good bit farther back. Didn't find them too bad although I don't remember too many people chanting along to "coffee to go,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was at that Frames set. I'd say it was more of a case what you were in the mood for at the time. If you were in the mood for jumping around following QOTSA they were probably not going to do anything for you. I was chilling on the grass with my mates during The Frames, with the sun going down, and they hit the spot nicely. It probably would have been better if they were placed before QOTSA though.

I was also at Green Day as well as seeing them in The Point earlier that year. The exact same show with the exact same stage banter. I was less of a fan after that set at Oxegen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

perrier wrote: »
    Badly Drawn Boy, Olympia in the early 2000's he was pissed and came across as a total twat..

Is that the time he threw his harmonica at one of the band and stormed off the stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Worst gig was U2 at Slane, I went to oblige a mate, I was right up the front in the middle of enthusiastic fans just completely underwhelmed. I can imagine how the Frames would be an anti-climax, their devoted fans are like a twee army. It's Hansard's butchering of traditional Irish songs though that is unforgivable.

The two worst gigs I have ever been to were both - Nina Hynes.

Awful on just about every level it can be awful at - bad songs - bad singer - bad production - bad sound - the works. And it was quite a let down both times because people who's music opinion I share in 99% of cases were raving about her at one point (quite some years ago now - feeling old thinking of this) - so I went in the first time really expecting to like her - and the second time really expecting to understand what I missed the first time.
    I believe Christy Moore and Van Morrison are in that bracket too, no idea if they are good or bad live but apparently probe to strops.

Morrison did a great gig in the Olymipa where he had such a strop that he threw his guitar over the drummer during an Astral Weeks track. I was a bit let down the next night however when he did it again and I realised it was something he had incorporated into the show as a self parody of his perceived stroppiness.

Almost a shame because it was so in the moment passionate musical rage that it really added to the mood and power of the song. So the second night when I realised it was theatrics I was a little let down. But it was powerful all the same so not a total loss or waste. Just - diminished.
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    van morrison in slane.Jesus the man was god awful. saw him a good few years later as well and he was worse.
    he just cannot cut it as a live performer imo.

I think he is amazing and he is one of my all time favorites. But I HATE seeing him in large OR outdoor venues. Awful awful stuff. The only way to see him is in small intimate venues - which is rarer but worth it. For all my love of him and admiration - I would absolutely expect his slane appearance was nothing short of awful without even having been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Does anyone have any good stories of comedians bombing? I remember hearing that a drunken Andrew Maxwell was booed off stage at the Cat Laughs festival a few years ago.

Saw Tommy Tiernan get booed of the stage in Coleraine students union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'd like to know has anyone ever been to a Lost Prophets gig?

Can anyone actually admit to being a fan at some stage of their lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I went to see a guy called Buck 65 in Phoenix, Arizona recently. I had seen him play about 3 times before and he was great. Two days before the gig he posted this really cryptic post on Facebook about going through his divorce and making himself seem like the victim and how he wasn't the victim. He was the villain, he was the cheater, he destroyed the relationship etc. and then ended with him saying he was going through a tough time but was planning on trying to be a better person.

Anyways. He get's on stage and talks about planning to go to the Grand Canyon the next day and possibly throwing himself into it. Pretty much every break was filled with some cryptic self loathing talk. He also played some of his most obscure stuff. About 30 minutes all but a few of the people there had left.

Listen man, I had a rough week then but thanks for persevering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

buck65 wrote: »
    Listen man, I had a rough week then but thanks for persevering.

HE''S ALIVE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

On before Slipknot the day metallica played the rds in 2004. They got bottled out of it , keep playing on. Guitarist if i remember right had really good reflexs. Of course back then they were just known for being a crap nu metal band.

The set after corey taylor of slipknot was giving a shout out for everyone that played that day and when he mentioned the LPs, everyone boo'd , which taylor responded "you show some f**king respect" to which everyone went "whaay".

I have never seen so many ugly people in a field in all my life that day, mostly due to the crowd slipknot attracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

This guy.
    15 years old at reading festival i saw lostprohets over radiohead. you tell me which one i'll get the chance to see again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The two worst gigs I have ever been to were both - Nina Hynes.

Awful on just about every level it can be awful at - bad songs - bad singer - bad production - bad sound - the works. And it was quite a let down both times because people who's music opinion I share in 99% of cases were raving about her at one point (quite some years ago now - feeling old thinking of this) - so I went in the first time really expecting to like her - and the second time really expecting to understand what I missed the first time.
    I liked that album but yeah, I've seen her live and she's very snoozey. I don't think she's skilled really in any department except maybe she has a few decent tunes in her head. Didn't I read somewhere that's she packed in the whole music thing eventually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Didn't I read somewhere that's she packed in the whole music thing eventually?
    From her facebook page 3 hours ago:
    On Twitter, at 2pm Berlin time, @ireland will be broadcasting me live playing a song in my living room in Berlin on periscope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Guns n Roses at the Point. They turned up an hour late, played 4 songs then stormed off stage because somebody threw some water on stage.

Them Crooked Vultures at Download 2010 were also ****e. They just jammed for an hour. About 5 songs and the rest just jamming. Crap and a half. At least Guns n Roses played a couple of good songs

They played eight or possibly more, I thought they were really good. There songs do go on for far too long though. I'd still long to hear a second record at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

thesultan wrote: »
    Didn't the Pixies blow the speakers on them. I got fried the same day:mad:

Yep, posted about it earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭briany

lbj666 wrote: »
    On before Slipknot the day metallica played the rds in 2004. They got bottled out of it , keep playing on. Guitarist if i remember right had really good reflexs. Of course back then they were just known for being a crap nu metal band.

The set after corey taylor of slipknot was giving a shout out for everyone that played that day and when he mentioned the LPs, everyone boo'd , which taylor responded "you show some f**king respect" to which everyone went "whaay".

I have never seen so many ugly people in a field in all my life that day, mostly due to the crowd slipknot attracted.

It is the height of bad manners to throw things at a band with a view to hitting them or interfere with their performance in any way. You don't like a band? Fine, but show that through disinterest, or just not being there for the duration of their set if at all possible. Although some might feel retroactive justification in bottle the LPs because of Ian Watkins, that doesn't change that the rest of the band were, and are, musicians trying to get by and put on a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭tara73

guns'n roses in kind of their 'high time', beginning of the nineties. big open air event in hannover, germany.

think axl rose was on stage for about 30 min through the whole show, left the stage on and off. slash had to do solos most of the time.

very disappointing and ticket was expensive for sure! that ba*****. he could be happy if he would fill vicar street this days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,265 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Bassfish wrote: »
    Went to see Simon Amstell in Vicar St. a few years ago. Thought he was great on Never Mind the Buzzcocks. €32 for a ticket and he was on stage for 50 minutes. He spent 25 of those telling this long story about having some transcendent trippy experience in a tent in the himylayas. The story was a cure for insomnia and did not achieve a single giggle from the c.1000 people in the crowd. He even said 'wow you clearly didn't like that did you?' to which the crowd responded No! He received a half hearted applause at the end and everyone left giving out stink that they'd been ripped off. Really disappointing, was a big fan of him before that, wouldn't cross the road to go see him now!
    it took me 3 mins to realise it wasn't a stand up show and was more of a spoken word...and i enjoyed it then....it was more of a companion show to his tv show about his family.

Didn't I read somewhere that's she packed in the whole music thing eventually?

I may be mistaking her for someone else but I _think_ it was her I recently saw on a crowd funding website fundraising for a new album? Or was that Gemma Hayes? I know some female solo singer from the Irish circuit was on such a site lately, I just can not fully remember if it was Nina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

The worse gig I was ever at was David Guetta twice! Once went he was supporting Fatboy Slim and another time at Oxegen. Fcuking Press a button and stand there and people go crazy.

I was at the Clapton gig in Malahide and it was some disgrace. I was so bored. The sound was awful when it worked and I think he was in the middle of Layla when the sound went.

Was also at the GNR gig in the RDS in 06. Thought that was fairly good

Best gigs I was ever at was Muse, Eminem and Dizzie Rascal, Jay z was fairly good too. I ended up going to the infamous Sweedish House Mafia gig in '12. I hate their music but Snoop Dogg before hand was unreal. I had some craic at that whole gig despite the bad press it got.

'SO what we get druuuuunnnk , So what we smoke weeeeeeddddd'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

another post for Bob Dylan. surely he wins the thread. galway 2004, it was fcuking terrible, we all left early.
    lately it has to be Hudson Mohawke in Twisted Pepper around May 2013, he was ruined and just playing **** songs and not giving a fcuk. I realised then that DJ sets are retarded, lads just playing some random songs.

But DJs who play their own stuff can still be good, even though I know it's just the laptop again but it's the shared communal experience. I was at Chemical Brothers at Glastonbury on Sunday and it was class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Eminem was ****e at Punshestown. Day was saved by Cypress Hill and believe it or not Xhibit (yo dawg. I heard you like concerts! So we pretended to put a substandard concert in your racecourse.) 50 Cent was brutal in The Point. I was a teen at the time :roll:

I thought that whole day was class, Eminem was deadly and at the height of his powers. But Xzibit definitely shocked everyone, he had the Irish flag draped around him from the first song going HAM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

briany wrote: »
    It is the height of bad manners to throw things at a band with a view to hitting them or interfere with their performance in any way. You don't like a band? Fine, but show that through disinterest, or just not being there for the duration of their set if at all possible. Although some might feel retroactive justification in bottle the LPs because of Ian Watkins, that doesn't change that the rest of the band were, and are, musicians trying to get by and put on a show.

I'm in full agreement, boo and voice your displeasure all you want but don't stoop to the level of throwing objects at the stage. It's low rent behaviour.

I may be mistaking her for someone else but I _think_ it was her I recently saw on a crowd funding website fundraising for a new album? Or was that Gemma Hayes? I know some female solo singer from the Irish circuit was on such a site lately, I just can not fully remember if it was Nina.
    Are you thinking of Carol Keogh? One of my favourite voices in Irish music, but her career does seem to sputter along badly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I went to see a guy called Buck 65 in Phoenix, Arizona recently. I had seen him play about 3 times before and he was great. Two days before the gig he posted this really cryptic post on Facebook about going through his divorce and making himself seem like the victim and how he wasn't the victim. He was the villain, he was the cheater, he destroyed the relationship etc. and then ended with him saying he was going through a tough time but was planning on trying to be a better person.

Anyways. He get's on stage and talks about planning to go to the Grand Canyon the next day and possibly throwing himself into it. Pretty much every break was filled with some cryptic self loathing talk. He also played some of his most obscure stuff. About 30 minutes all but a few of the people there had left.

If you've ever seen his ex, you'd realise why :D
    Buck is normally great live, but I know that he has had his dark dark period and battling depression and some physical injuries.

Are you thinking of Carol Keogh? One of my favourite voices in Irish music, but her career does seem to sputter along badly.

Nah just checked it was nina.

She made the 10k? Carol Keogh didn't if IIRC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

briany wrote: »
    This bit emboldened is what happened last time a Metallica gig was in Ireland, the one in Marlay Park in 2009. Mastodon had rocked the place, Alice In Chains just played a fantastic set and then we had Avenged Sevenfold :mad: Seeing most of the pit just leave in disgust was lovely. No visible anger, no objects thrown just a mass exodus of people getting food and drink until they finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭baron von something

entropi wrote: »
    and then we had Avenged Sevenfold :mad: Seeing most of the pit just leave in disgust was lovely. No visible anger, no objects thrown just a mass exodus of people getting food and drink until they finished.

They were bad but in fairness, they did take some kid from the crowd up on stage to sing Pantera's Walk. That probably made his week and possibly got him laid that night

I remember when Linkin Park supported Metallica in the RDS and they were heavily booed and bottled too. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they were booed off the stage during most of that tour

• Advertisement
Advertisement