Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worse gig youve ever been at

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

In fairness a large proportion of metal fans are assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

buck65 wrote: »

Wow that is a really uneducated moronic opinion, I have been to 100s of metal gigs and they are the friendliest fans about, the teenagers can be hit or miss, but they learn after a few gigs, you can tell the daytrippers a mile off at metal gigs and they cause the majority of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Was at that myself and The Frames really killed the atmosphere. While far from being the worst gig I was also unimpressed with Green Day...had seen them in the Point the January and the Oxegen performance was pretty much the exact same show. It's a shame they have gone down the route of doing choreographed musical performances rather than gigs.

I wasn't impressed by Green Day either, I was never a huge fan of them but I was curious to see what they would be like, it was pretty obvious to see that if I was to see them at some other festival, the show would be the exact same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

entropi wrote: »
    This bit emboldened is what happened last time a Metallica gig was in Ireland, the one in Marlay Park in 2009. Mastodon had rocked the place, Alice In Chains just played a fantastic set and then we had Avenged Sevenfold :mad: Seeing most of the pit just leave in disgust was lovely. No visible anger, no objects thrown just a mass exodus of people getting food and drink until they finished.

Funny, I was there too and thought mastodon were woeful and avenged were great craic.

Suppose it helps when you know the songs though!

edit:I mean I don't know any mastodon, realised that was a bit unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ye can talk all day here about this and that...but the worst gig ever was "Cubanate" in the tivoli theatre (SUPPORTING CARCASS) ...end of thread!

any of you there????

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Worst gig I've ever been to was a free one that was on when I was staying in Salford a few years ago with The New Young Pony Club, The Horrors and The Gossip. Some NME ****e full of lots of umbrella holding goths for the horrors and neon **** for the rest.

Worst band I've ever seen live though was easily Arcade Fire. My girlfriend found a half price ticket for me because I love Pixies and was delighted to get to see them. Full of arseholes who for some reason though Pixies would smash their guitars and interact with the audience and dance around! :confused: Then Arcade Fire were so boring and masturbatory... utter bollocks. It wasn't the worst gig because Pixies were, as expected, ****ing fantastic; I'd put up with Arcade Fire twice just to see half a Pixies set!

Was really looking forward to seeing Pixies at that gig but thought they were meh and partly down to the fact there is no life or interaction, it is just one song into another. I didn't know their entire collection so at times it was hard to know when one song finished and another started. As someone else mentioned, they walked off early as well. Have been to see other bands who I don't know too well but few were as big a letdown as Pixies.

Was really looking forward to seeing Pixies at that gig but thought they were meh and partly down to the fact there is no life or interaction, it is just one song into another. I didn't know their entire collection so at times it was hard to know when one song finished and another started. As someone else mentioned, they walked off early as well. Have been to see other bands who I don't know too well but few were as big a letdown as Pixies.
    one song into another......aka value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Sounded all the same to me apart from a few songs.

Sounded all the same to me apart from a few songs.
    you don't like them then

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

buck65 wrote: »
    A lot of Metallica fans wouldn't be metalheads at all. They're always the trouble at the big gigs which you don't get at metal festivals or less well known bands.
    TBH I'd give the average metalhead a much better chance of being sound than the average indie kid, techno skanger or country music fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

Does anyone remember the Barbara Streisand concert at Castletown House from a few years ago? Not that I was at it or anything (!) but I do remember the reports of a downpour, bad sound and a bunch of biddies fighting over seats in the resulting mud and wet. There was a Liveline programme the following day where a few of them came on to give out stink about it. I just have this mental picture of it being like Woodstock '99, but with Barbara Streisand playing to frustrated aul' ones having a violent game of musical chairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    A lot of Metallica fans wouldn't be metalheads at all. They're always the trouble at the big gigs which you don't get at metal festivals or less well known bands.
    TBH I'd give the average metalhead a much better chance of being sound than the average indie kid, techno skanger or country music fan.
    *ahem* most techno fans aren't skangers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Ramones...GABBA GABBA HEY :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The David Bowie Glass Spider gig at Slane about a hundred years ago.
    Absolute s***e !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Deicide. McGonagles. 1990. We knew the promoter, so we used to get freebies for all the metal gigs that went on in Dublin, from McGonagles to the Top Hat.

Reasons for sh1tness:

1. Deicide are shyte.
    2. Deicide are shyte. (I realise that this is point 1 again, but they really are so shyte that the point was worth repeating.
    3. Deicide are also idiots. We met them out on the street beforehand. With fresh burn scars on foreheads. Inverted crosses of course. Even as teenage metalheads we couldn't help thinking that was a bit silly on grownups. We laughed at them a little. Couldn't help it. Glen Benton didn't like that. A lot. Which led to more laughing.
    4. Right. The gig itself. Vastly undersold. I think less than 50 tickets had gone by showtime. McGonagles was as good as empty, and those who remember the place will remember that it didn't take too many to fill it. The bouncers just kind of stood back from the door and let people in for free. Why not, at this point? A few more trickled in. And joined the 'crowd' inside, who seemed not to be taking the satanic spectacle seriously at all.

Finished early. Glad I didn't pay, but kinda glad I went. Pretty much guarantees that no gig I go to in the future will be the worst gig I was ever at.

:)

For those not familiar with early 90s metal, a link to a pic of his Satanic Silliness...

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/1/1/7/6/1176_artist.jpg?1944

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

It's been said a number of times but yeah, RHCP in the Phoenix Park.....brutal!

Now, I was in a pub in Sligo last year and the music was real good. I recognised a song I knew and it brought a smile to my face. It was Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. Then someone told me they were playing in the pub and I was like "fcuk off yer lying"......I thought the juke box was on or something but no, they were playing live down the other end of the bar and I was too stoopid to realise it. So, due to my own lack of awareness, I missed out. So for that reason, it was a **** gig :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Who likes Death or Black Metal? Seriously. How does that become a thing you enjoy. I could possibly understand if it was instrumental but the inane howling that is the vocal track just ruins any shred of musicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Who likes Death or Black Metal?
    Teenage angst & hormones are a heady mix when combined with a rebellious zeal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Wouldnt call it a gig but the blond one ot of tallafornia used to sing with her dad every Sunday in a pub in Harolds Cross a few years ago. God she was awful but the poor girl thought she was the dogs bollix

Who likes Death or Black Metal? Seriously. How does that become a thing you enjoy. I could possibly understand if it was instrumental but the inane howling that is the vocal track just ruins any shred of musicality.

It really depends on the band, Death and Black metal are more umbrella terms these days, you have so many sub genres that incorporate various elements of other styles you cannot just say they are one or the other.

The term Black Metal came from a Venom album in 1982, these lads came from Newcastle, hardly the place people think of when they hear the term and Death Metal came from the name of a Possessed album ( although it is a bit debated ).

I can go from some more extreme metal acts to Lionel Ritchie to Father John Misty to Public Enemy very easily.

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    It really depends on the band, Death and Black metal are more umbrella terms these days, you have so many sub genres that incorporate various elements of other styles you cannot just say they are one or the other.

The term Black Metal came from a Venom album in 1982, these lads came from Newcastle, hardly the place people think of when they hear the term and Death Metal came from the name of a Possessed album ( although it is a bit debated ).

I can go from some more extreme metal acts to Lionel Ritchie to Father John Misty to Public Enemy very easily.

I get that, but I think we can make a generalisation around the howling, gutteral singing style. Seriously, what does that do for anyone?

I get that, but I think we can make a generalisation around the howling, gutteral singing style. Seriously, what does that do for anyone?

Like I said it depends on the band, listen to the likes of Deafheaven and the singers voice is nearly like another instrument, when you listen to it as a whole everything blends in, a lot of the Scandinavian melodic death metal bands use the same techniques.

On the other hand you have bands that appeal to a very niche market due to their extreme growling or shouting, honestly for every 10 black metal or death metal bands you hear these days, you are lucky to find one you like.

Like I said it depends on the band, listen to the likes of Deafheaven and the singers voice is nearly like another instrument, when you listen to it as a whole everything blends in, a lot of the Scandinavian melodic death metal bands use the same techniques.

On the other hand you have bands that appeal to a very niche market due to their extreme growling or shouting, honestly for every 10 black metal or death metal bands you hear these days, you are lucky to find one you like.

Fair enough, I find the whole thing fascinating. I am not, as you might have guessed, a fan of the music but I do respect the technical proficiency of the guitarists and drummers which is immense, i often wondered why the vocal track was so, i dunno...rudimentary in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

, you can tell the daytrippers a mile off at metal gigs and they cause the majority of issues.

Daytrippers? I've this image of men with long hair and wallet chains giving out stink about people who have the temerity to not live for METAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was good when napalm death, bathory, celtic frost etc were at it back in the 80s, gave the music a certain edge

Nowadays it usually just daft, and then you occasionally see spastic metal heads greeting their fellow spastics with growly shouts.

AVIVAAA!! as mario rosentstock would say :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    It was good when napalm death, bathory, celtic frost etc were at it back in the 80s, gave the music a certain edge

Nowadays it usually just daft, and then you occasionally see spastic metal heads greeting their fellow spastics with growly shouts.

AVIVAAA!! as mario rosentstock would say :pac:

We're way off topic here but a lot of those would fall into the thrash category more than death metal no? Maybe not.

I have a napalm death cover of kim wilde's kids in america somewhere !

Nope, Correction. That was Lawnmower Death, now that I think about it :) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's been said a number of times but yeah, RHCP in the Phoenix Park.....brutal!

Now, I was in a pub in Sligo last year and the music was real good. I recognised a song I knew and it brought a smile to my face. It was Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus. Then someone told me they were playing in the pub and I was like "fcuk off yer lying"......I thought the juke box was on or something but no, they were playing live down the other end of the bar and I was too stoopid to realise it. So, due to my own lack of awareness, I missed out. So for that reason, it was a **** gig :(.

Missing Wheatus would be a fcuking turn up for the books in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Agree with you there. His good albums legacy is near untouchable, but live he's very hit and miss and often couldn't give a fcuk.
    GerB40 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan in the O2. It was my second time seeing him and the first time he was class, this time he just didn't bother. He barely picked up a guitar, mumbled incoherently along to his songs and just fúcked off after just over an hour. Plus it was my first time in the O2 since it changed from being The Point which just added to the disappointment. I still idolize him but I wouldn't watch him live if he was playing on my front lawn..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Saw Clapton in the Marquee in Cork in maybe 2007?
    Was gutless he just seemed to not be bothered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We're way off topic here but a lot of those would fall into the thrash category more than death metal no? Maybe not.

I have a napalm death cover of kim wilde's kids in america somewhere !

Nope, Correction. That was Lawnmower Death, now that I think about it :) !

None of them bands were thrash, they had the growling wokills though

• Advertisement

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    clairek6 wrote: »
    Amanda brunker at oxygen, still having nightmares 😢

Probably daydreaming about his free Lexus from his "Lexus" tour...
    somefeen wrote: »

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thankfully, Ive never been to a bad gig musically. All have sounded and performed great.

But I've had the unfortunate pleasure of going to Eminem.. Bunch of clowns at it.

Give me a rock/metal concert any day, much nicer crowd who help you rather than try to stab and rob you.

Disclaimer
    I don't like Eminem.

I can vouch for that. I also saw him once in Vicar St. in say 2006 and it was just like you said.
    McChubbin wrote: »
    Do comedy gigs count?
    If so, I can tell you that I once went to see Dylan Moran in Vicar Street a few years back.
    I loved him in Black Books so I was expecting a bit more of the same brand of humour but nope- onstage that night, he was slurring his words, obviously phoning it in and forgetting what joke he told whilst rambling on and on trying to get to the punchlines.
    It was painful to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Worst gig ever was Oasis in Landsdowne Road. Got free tickets for it. Supergrass as support were amazing, Oasis boring, but the worst thing was the amount of scumbags in the crowd, the type of knackers that'll happily wip out their knob and openly piss on your leg without a thought. Left early.

Have been to some great gigs but one that sticks out was Paul Heaton and Jackie Abbot in the Speigel Tent in wexford recently. Fantastic performance topped off by an amazing version of caravan of love at the end.

Comedian wise I remember seeing Edie Izzard in the RDS and he was pure unadulterated ****e. Wife went to see Jimmy Carr recently and she fell asleep, that tells it's own storey!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Was dragged to see The Frames at The Marquee years ago. Tried to give them a chance but it was the longest, dreariest, most boring gig I've ever been to. Was genuinely miserable going home later.

p.s I was at Glastonbury and Florence sounded great from where I was. Maybe the sound didn't transfer well to TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Went to see Willie Nelson in the old Point around ten years ago.
    Musically, the band seemed tight enough.
    Unfortunately the same could not be said for poor old Willie's vocals....

It was so bad it made Liveline the next day.

A sad night to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

R.E.M. in Hungary at the Sziget festival. They were brutal - kept making mistakes and didn't look interested in doing what they were well paid for. Unforgivable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Was dragged to see The Frames at The Marquee years ago. Tried to give them a chance but it was the longest, dreariest, most boring gig I've ever been to. Was genuinely miserable going home later.

Are you a fan?

Seen them tonight actually and loved it (despite the high proportion of selfie taking yappers in the crowd).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

somefeen wrote: »

Clapton hasn't been bothered since 1971.
    I wish I was around in '67 to see him, but then again I'd probably just go to Jimi Hendrix.

I've never been to a stadium gig, but most local bands I've seen are awful.
    Inoffensive and tame renditions of songs I could just hear by turning the radio on.
    Somebody in this thread had some disparaging comments regarding Death Metal, yet I once saw a Death Metal(yes, in Ireland) and they were ****ing brilliant. Great energy and afterwards the band took us to a sacrifice of a child(Just kidding haha)

BTW there is plenty of great Death Metal out there, just have some patience with the vocals at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Funniest gig story I ever heard has to be when Cat Stevens played the O2 a few years back - played a load of obscure stuff he was working on and some lovely fella was heard shouting "play Peace Train you f***ing a***hole". Didnt stop laughing for about a week afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

iDave wrote: »
    Macklemore Marley Park 2014. Gig delayed by about 45 mins due to a software issue.

I was working the bar at that gig, the amount of abuse we got for it was insane. It wasn't our fault that he wasn't playing!
    I'd like to know has anyone ever been to a Lost Prophets gig?

Can anyone actually admit to being a fan at some stage of their lives?

Went to see them in the Academy, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Looking back, I'm disgusted at myself, but they were a decent band. I think the non child molester members have a band now.

I think the worst gig I was at was either Paramore in Simmonscourt or My Chemical Romance in the O2. Paramore played fantastically, but the sound there is absolutely dire. My da had to bring me, he came with me to see them a year or two later in the O2 and couldn't believe it was the same band. MCR were horrific, it later came out that three of the four of them had the flu, but they shouldn't have played. If I hadn't gotten to see them at Oxegen that year I'd have been very disappointed when they called it quits.

Best gig is probably The Blackout in Manchester last March. It was their farewell tour, and it had the potential to have had an awful atmosphere, but the band were fantastic, and the room was buzzing. God, I miss that band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Went to see Willie Nelson in the old Point around ten years ago.
    Musically, the band seemed tight enough.
    Unfortunately the same could not be said for poor old Willie's vocals....

It was so bad it made Liveline the next day.

A sad night to be honest.
    anti-venom wrote: »
    R.E.M. in Hungary at the Sziget festival. They were brutal - kept making mistakes and didn't look interested in doing what they were well paid for. Unforgivable.

Can I combine these two?

I remember REM playing Marlay some years back, and Stipe's vocals just couldn't hack it. I saw them later on in the Point, around 2004, on the last night of the European tour, and it was a brilliant show - band were really in party mood. "Don't go back to Rockville......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

RainyDay wrote: »
    Can I combine these two?

I remember REM playing Marlay some years back, and Stipe's vocals just couldn't hack it. I saw them later on in the Point, around 2004, on the last night of the European tour, and it was a brilliant show - band were really in party mood. "Don't go back to Rockville......."

I was at that REM point gig and it was indeed magnificent. For once a gig in the point with good sound.

The gig itself was filmed and recorded and released as a live album / DVD and it's well worth getting. Turn it to 11 and you could still be there !

A lot of people highlighting gigs by the likes of legacy acts like The Stones, Dylan and Clapton etc... Acts charging best part of 100 euros in many cases and no hunger or drive no just going through the motions. I've seen both the stones and Dylan and both meh. The only act of that nature who were amazing were the Who on both occasions blew the roof of the gaff and put everything into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Aerosmith in Marley Park a few years ago - can't even remember what year it was. Admittedly the sound wasn't great on the night but the band was just appalling. Apart from their awful performance, they left out most of the hits - something they have a tendency to do live, apparently. Awful stuff.

I was at that gig and I loved it, the reason they leave out so many hits is because they've got a huge catalog to play from.

I have all there albums and knew every song they played. I thought it was a great set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Worst gig by a comedian was Tim Minchin few years ago in Vicar street. First half of show using a mother and daughter as comedy bait. Second half playing old youtube material on piano and being ****e at it.

If I ever actually meet him I'll do time, and be a world hero for it

Prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

New Order supporting Red Hot Chilli Peppers in Lansdowne Road, 2002. I love New Order - and that's why I went to the gig, I'm not much of a fan of RHCP - but it was a disaster because N.O. weren't the right fit as support. Most of the RHCP fans didn't have a clue who they were and thought they were crap and gave them a load of abuse, with the result that New Order's bassist got really pissed off with them, and the tension just took away from the gig, ruined the atmosphere, and they couldn't wait to be done. Only time seeing them and it was such a disappointment, as I'd really been dying to see New Order in concert.

I was at that gig. I was 17 at the time and hadn't a feckin clue who new order were. They got slated. Booed at the end of every song. Pretty much took away from the chillis too as you said. The crowd was very young and new order just didn't fit in at all.

To make it worse I bought a disgusting burger from a van afterwards and was sick on the bus on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Phil Collins...

Fans love him, I'm not a fan, my ex girlfriend was.

Much to everyone's delight he played for over 3 hours...almost everyone's delight that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

de5p0i1er wrote: »
    I was at that gig and I loved it, the reason they leave out so many hits is because they've got a huge catalog to play from.

I have all there albums and knew every song they played. I thought it was a great set.

I wasn't at the gig but going by the setlist I don't see what the other poster is complaining about, loads of their big hits in it.

http://swearimnotpaul.com/2010/08/setlist-aerosmith-marlay-park-dublin-26-june-2007.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Oxegen in I think 2006, one of those crappy indie bands that were everywhere back then, The Kooks or something, I don't know. Anyways most of the crowd, myself included, were only there because they were waiting for whoever was on next. Band were playing pretty badly so people started giving them abuse, then someone threw an Ireland flag up on stage. Now obviously the protocol in that situation is to drape it round your shoulders and go "Yeah!" or "Woo" or "We love Ireland" or something along those lines. Muppet of a singer just picked it up, looked at it like "dafuq am I supposed to do with this" and tossed it back. Write off after that, you couldn't hear them over the booing.

Also The National a few years ago at EP. In fairness though that was a great gig, it was the fact that I started hallucinating that ruined it for me. Boyfriend at the time had to bring me back to the tent, he was raging, he loved The National.

• Advertisement
Advertisement