Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gel/Acrylic/Shellac Nails

Options
  • 27-06-2015 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I want to get my nails done next week for a wedding I have on Friday. I have naturally strong nails and they grow into a nice shape but unfortunately, a couple of them have broken recently in work so will be looking at enhancing them.

I am utterly clueless about nail beauty treatments. I have no idea if I should go for gel, acrylic shellac etc. I've no idea! I don't want to wreck my nails either.

Can anyone give me the basics or preferences based on their own experiences. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I want to get my nails done next week for a wedding I have on Friday. I have naturally strong nails and they grow into a nice shape but unfortunately, a couple of them have broken recently in work so will be looking at enhancing them.

I am utterly clueless about nail beauty treatments. I have no idea if I should go for gel, acrylic shellac etc. I've no idea! I don't want to wreck my nails either.

Can anyone give me the basics or preferences based on their own experiences. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

I used to get gel nails done and yes, they look very elegant and ladylike, but they were too high maintenance for me.

They will start off by trimming your own nails, then filing your nails..and the nail bed (which, for some reason, REALLY hurt me; I could feel shooting burning pains in each finger each time the nail bed was filed), then they apply the false nails with glue, trimming each to whatever length you want.

They then apply this setting gel and you leave your fingers under UV lamps for a few seconds a time.

Then, in around two weeks, you will start to notice the "join"; where the false nail was attached to your natural nail, so you'll have to go back and have that "filled".

If you don't get them filled, it's going to look silly. It's around €40 for gel nails and about €25 to get them refilled (well, it was where I got them done).
    But like I said, they need to be maintained and for me, it was too time consuming.

Shellac is where they literally paint your own nails in whatever colour you want and then apply a gloss over them.

The nails won't chip and will look ultra professional and glossy.
    My mother got Shellac done for a wedding she was going to.
    She got around 3 weeks out of them before they started looking a bit shabby.

Gel nails do leave your own nails in a terrible state, though; you'll notice they're very weak, rough, uneven and prone to breaking.
    So you should really look after them once you're done with gel nails. Apply nail lotions, cuticle creams and hardening varnishes.

It's up to you, but I'd go with Shellac if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Thanks for the informative post! I might skip the gel nails so as I really don't want to weaken my nails. Will probably go for shellac since the only thing that's really motivating me to get them done at all is the wedding and I'm not interested in anything high maintenance!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adraigh

Agree 100% with fussyonion... If you are only started on the wonderful path of nails, going down the acrylic/gel nails route is a lot of hassle, committment, time and money!

I was quite addicted there to them for about a year.. These sorts of nail extensions look flawless and very glamorous for winter, but I think they are a bit fake or something for summer so am weaning myself of them!
    The upkeep is a bit much hassle really.

You have good nails you say so definitely i think go for a nice shellac colour on them... Long lasting, high shine, looks very neat and aren't too over the top! Vinylux is the latest craze, it lasts for a week. Great deals to be had on Groupon etc for Shellac though, about 15 euro in most cities... So go for that!

:) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If you're happy with the length/shape of your natural nail then shellac

Advertisement