Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 4 or Persona 4 Golden?

Options
  • 27-06-2015 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So I've just about wrapped up the main story (not The Answer), of Persona 3 Fes.......and I loved every minute of it. So I decided that I should get the next game, but I've hit a snag.
    While I could easily order Persona 4 online, the Golden version sounds to be infinitely better. While I own a PS2, I don't own a Vita. Is Golden worth getting if I go to buy a Vita or would it just be a console I'd play that single game for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

As you have a PS2, I would most certainly start with P4. It is simply an astounding game. Easily my favorite game of all time.

I would also highly recommend picking up a Vita and P4G at some stage later... P4G adds a bit more to the story, new locations and the system for Persona themselves is much better. A Vita can be picked up cheap enough 2nd hand now and Vita also has some great RPG games like YS: Memories of Celceta, Atelier Rorona Plus and Atelier Ayesha Plus as well as action RPGs like Freedom Wars. Stunning side scrollers like Guacamelee and Muramusa Rebirth.

And thats just scratching the surface.

Cracking system imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you had a choice just go straight into the Golden. It's slightly improved over P4. I'd also suggest taking a break from Persona before you start it, you don't want to get burnt out on the series!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭PKdude

Alright, I'll probably take the advice on not playing Persona for a little while just so I don't get burned out haha Thanks very much, when I do get back to it, I'll probably play Persona 4 Ps2, then maybe later get Golden. Should I expect it to be better than 3, because I really loved that game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PKdude wrote: »
    Alright, I'll probably take the advice on not playing Persona for a little while just so I don't get burned out haha Thanks very much, when I do get back to it, I'll probably play Persona 4 Ps2, then maybe later get Golden. Should I expect it to be better than 3, because I really loved that game.

Most people prefer 4. I can't decide which is better. P4 has better dungeons while P3 had the better story. I kind of like how you couldn't control characters in P3 but I'm in the minority there and most people like the full control of the party in P4. Needless to say which every you prefer they are for me the best RPGS of the last decade.

Persona 3 Portable is worth checking out as well. You can play as a female protagonist which changes up the social links and you can have full party control like in P4.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most people prefer 4. I can't decide which is better. P4 has better dungeons while P3 had the better story. I kind of like how you couldn't control characters in P3 but I'm in the minority there and most people like the full control of the party in P4. Needless to say which every you prefer they are for me the best RPGS of the last decade.

Persona 3 Portable is worth checking out as well. You can play as a female protagonist which changes up the social links and you can have full party control like in P4.

Yeah I really loved the characters in Persona 3, each one of them had a lot of development, something hard to find in games today :/ Anyway the characters in 4 are as good or will I still be worshipping Akihiko and Mitsuru senpai?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Put it this way: Everything Persona 3 does well, Persona 4 does at least as well. In terms of basic mechanical refinements the fourth game is almost undeniably a step ahead, but when it comes to characters and narrative that'll be personal preference. Both excel.

I personally prefer the fourth, as I think there's a more memorable, distinctive cast. P4 also IMO boasts a much more potent sense of place, and there's less of a disconnect between the social aspects and the dungeon crawling because everything is more coherently built around theme and characters (which probably helped feed into my impression that they were ultimately better developed). As I said, personal preference. But they're both outstanding games, and I'd confidently say if you loved Persona 3 you have nothing to fear moving on to its sequel :) Going the other direction would be a little trickier given the aforementioned mechanical refinements.

Put it this way: Everything Persona 3 does well, Persona 4 does at least as well. In terms of basic mechanical refinements the fourth game is almost undeniably a step ahead, but when it comes to characters and narrative that'll be personal preference. Both excel.

I personally prefer the fourth, as I think there's a more memorable, distinctive cast. P4 also IMO boasts a much more potent sense of place, and there's less of a disconnect between the social aspects and the dungeon crawling because everything is more coherently built around theme and characters (which probably helped feed into my impression that they were ultimately better developed). As I said, personal preference. But they're both outstanding games, and I'd confidently say if you loved Persona 3 you have nothing to fear moving on to its sequel :) Going the other direction would be a little trickier given the aforementioned mechanical refinements.

That makes me feel more confident in getting it now :3 I want to have finished both of them by the time Persona 5 comes out. As well as that, I made play Arena Ultimax and Shadow of the Labyrinth, it sounds fun crossing over the two games and the characters. Still loving Akihiko and Mitsuru senpai :3

Advertisement