Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Roadworks

Options
  • 27-06-2015 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or are these roadworks taking absolutely forever? Yesterday I drove by another gridlocked queue leading all the way from the park to left turn for Monkstown. It must be abou 3 months now they've been working on the road and when all seemed almost done, I think they ripped up what they had just recently surfaced and did it again :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have no idea what they were doing on the stretch on Temple Hill over the past few weeks, the median was narrowed by a matter of no more than a few inches but it probably cost tens of thousands of euros, not to mention the disruption to traffic. It was getting pretty chronic after 3 p.m. outbound any time I was there recently. All for a slightly wider cycle lane :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Whenever I get the no.4 bus home from college the running time is delayed by 10 to 15 minutes for any bus to Monkstown Avenue between 1pm & 3pm.

Any time I got a 4 from the CC to Stradbrook Road in the last two or three occasions have let me stay on it for nearly 55 minutes whenever there is heavy traffic from Frascati road going up to Temple Hill for a maximum of 20 minutes. That was because part of the southbound side of the carriageway up as far as Newtown Avenue was blocked off with traffic cones.

Pedestrians have a much more difficult opportunity to cross the road at the very top of the carriageway beside St Vincent's park because builders are rebuilding pedestrian junctions up as far the entrance to Monkstown Road. Half of the pedestrian lights on the St Vincent's park side is now blocked by the builders for over a week and half now leaving pedestrians to safely cross the road either at the Junction of Netownpark Avenue or at the lights at Newtown Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    I have no idea what they were doing on the stretch on Temple Hill over the past few weeks, the median was narrowed by a matter of no more than a few inches but it probably cost tens of thousands of euros, not to mention the disruption to traffic. It was getting pretty chronic after 3 p.m. outbound any time I was there recently. All for a slightly wider cycle lane :(

I guess that it's important to get the cycle lane correct.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/woman-cyclist-dies-in-hospital-after-blackrock-collision-1.1495045

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Due to be finished in August according to the website. I imagine all the services under the road are being replaced too, not just a matter of tarmac and white lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »

That accident (in 2013) involved a truck making a turn so the width of the cycle lane (or whether there was any cycle lane) was not a contributory factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

That accident (in 2013) involved a truck making a turn so the width of the cycle lane (or whether there was any cycle lane) was not a contributory factor.

The area was absolutely TREACHEROUS for cyclists. At least now there is some protection for cyclists just simply trying to get to work in a clean safe sustainable manner. I can't see any problem whatsoever with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

... All for a slightly wider cycle lane :(
    All for a cycle lane, you mean. There was none at all along most of the Blackrock bypass and the traffic lanes were too narrow for fast moving cars to overtake cyclists with a safe margin and remain in their lane. I cycled along it northwards during morning rush hour just once and vowed never to do so again - it's the only time commuting on the bike that I actually felt truly in danger from "normal" traffic. Found an alternative route. The new cycle lane, at least the completed bit, is up to the latest standards and much appreciated by me for one.

It has taken an age to complete though and must have cost a pretty penny. Not sure if doing it in short phased sections was the least disruptive option.

There's plans for a very similar cycle lane upgrade on the N11 between Stillorgan and Galloping Green so expect more fun and games there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the real question is why they didn't do a proper cycle lane like that the first time on the N11, that orange concrete that started breaking up after 5 minutes was/is an embarrassment.

The cycle lane is so wide, that gobshytes think it's a third lane. I wish I was joking. I think it's almost more dangerous for cyclists now. I saw a person actually drive up the cycle lane to take a left on to Mount Merrion Avenue, thinking it was the old filter lane :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,565 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Blackrock bypass? With the amount of new traffic lights installed you'd probably be better off going through the village. I welcome the cycle lane but question the logic of more ramps and traffic lights,especially when sequences seem intent on stopping drivers at every one. Frustrated drivers tend to cause accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What's up with the slip road past the BMW dealer too, it's marked as "Bus Lane" at the top, don't tell me they are going to turn that into a bus only slip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The cycle lane is so wide, that gobshytes think it's a third lane. I wish I was joking. I think it's almost more dangerous for cyclists now. I saw a person actually drive up the cycle lane to take a left on to Mount Merrion Avenue, thinking it was the old filter lane :eek:

also seen some motorbikes riding up along it, nearly crashing into cyclists waiting at the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cormie wrote: »
    What's up with the slip road past the BMW dealer too, it's marked as "Bus Lane" at the top, don't tell me they are going to turn that into a bus only slip?

Well I would think it is pretty obvious that is exactly what they are doing.

Will have to wait and see how they do it and sign post it before the slip for the garage considering it's only a bus lane past the garage itself, meaning vehicles will have to turn around as opposed to going through a 10m bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Not sure how you could do that as there are plastic poles separating the cycle lane there from the road.

however I notice there are only 2 of them left this morning from about 6 starting off so only a matter of time before the cars are into the cycle lane again unless they keep replacing the poles..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Not sure how you could do that as there are plastic poles separating the cycle lane there from the road.

however I notice there are only 2 of them left this morning from about 6 starting off so only a matter of time before the cars are into the cycle lane again unless they keep replacing the poles..

They put those poles there afterward!

And yep, within days of them being there, one was already gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

They put those poles there afterward!

And yep, within days of them being there, one was already gone.

Most of those poles are spring loaded, you can drive straight over them

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Most of those poles are spring loaded, you can drive straight over them

Well two people tested that theory and they are no more :P

(the poles, that is, not the people :D)

Saw that too the other day except he was coming from frascatti towards monkstown

• Advertisement

I don't know what's up with drivers heading towards Dublin before approaching the Garda station just opposite the BMW garage, hardly anyone can stay in their lane!

I don't know what's up with drivers heading towards Dublin before approaching the Garda station just opposite the BMW garage, hardly anyone can stay in their lane!

Probably the new narrower lanes installed recently..

They are more narrow, but still easy to fit between the lines :)

They are more narrow, but still easy to fit between the lines :)

Well maybe for some drivers..

I predict problems in September as the traffic goes back to normal levels. With the new narrower lanes there is now no room for scooters/motorbikes to filter between the 2 lanes like they used to. Expect to see large numbers of motorbikes using the new cycling infrastructure..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

this is why i mostly take the N11, the rock road seems to have the less intelligent drivers tbh

this is why i mostly take the N11, the rock road seems to have the less intelligent drivers tbh

Dyspraxic at the very least.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Well maybe for some drivers..

I predict problems in September as the traffic goes back to normal levels. With the new narrower lanes there is now no room for scooters/motorbikes to filter between the 2 lanes like they used to. Expect to see large numbers of motorbikes using the new cycling infrastructure..

Still fine for an 8ft/2.5m wide van but if there's two side by side yeah filtering may be difficult. Whether it will even be finished by September is another question at the rate they are going :o

It's also in bits, pot holes, dodgy man holes, road works. bike lane, no bike lane. no thanks. at least on the way back it slightly better.

Got this from the Council website
    # Frascati Road / Temple Hill Improvement Scheme, Blackrock ***

Construction works for the Frascati Road / Temple Hill Improvement Scheme will continue until August 2015.

A new temporary road and junction layout will be in place to facilitate junction
    improvement works at Temple Hill / Newtownpark Avenue, Blackrock. This will be in place on Temple Hill between Monkstown Road and Newtownpark Avenue junctions. As part of this traffic management plan there will be “No Right Turn” movement allowed from Temple Hill onto Newtownpark Avenue for the duration of these works. A diversion route will be in place via Stradbrook Road, Deansgrange Road, Brookville Park and Benamore Road.

The new layout and diversion routes will be fully signed for the duration of the
    construction works on this section of road and junction.

It is expected that this new layout will be in place from Monday, 29th June to Friday, 31stJuly 2015.A Traffic Management Plan will be in place. Traffic disruption will be kept to a minimum with business as usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Will have to wait and see how they do it and sign post it before the slip for the garage considering it's only a bus lane past the garage itself, meaning vehicles will have to turn around as opposed to going through a 10m bus lane.

Looking at this again today it is clear that the slip lane is to be open for general traffic in either direction as far as the BMW garage. Beyond that will be buses only onto the bypass.

General traffic from Temple Road heading south onto the bypass will have to use the signal controlled junction instead of the slip lane.

Cars coming out of the garage would have to turn right towards Temple Road and do a double back onto the bypass if they want to head south.

Advertisement