Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse riding fear

Options
  • 27-06-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi. I need help! I bought my first horse two years ago after years of riding in riding schools. She is a looky loo when we're hacking but I trust her and I've hunted her and she is good and not strong or scary. But I dread riding. I was unexpectedly left without support after I bought her and made some mistakes that I've now figured out (too much food, not enough turnout) but when I think about riding, I get scared. When I do ride her, I enjoy it and come home happy but the next time, I'm just as reluctant to ride again. What am I going to do? I know that this is an irrational fear based on lack of confidence about taking care of her and riding alone but she is healthy and happy and peaceful and I ride her without mishaps (although some spooks that I don't mind once I'm in the saddle) so why am I so scared and stressed every time? It's getting so I don't even want to ride her once a week when I should be delighted to ride her every evening. I don't want to sell her. :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, what happens when you put her away for an hour and come back? Is it the same feeling? Is it with all horses or just her? How often do you ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tc100

sup_dude wrote: »
    OP, what happens when you put her away for an hour and come back? Is it the same feeling? Is it with all horses or just her? How often do you ride?[/quote

Hi, I haven't tried doing that. When I get ready to ride, I ride her and then I'm finished until I have to build up to it again. I was thinking of tacking and lunging a few times without riding, or just mooching around the field. It's not the riding that scares me, it's the working up to ride. Once I'm on, I'm ok. I just dread getting there! Weird I know. She's my only horse and I don't ride anywhere else at the moment. It's gone so I only ride one day a week and I didn't even do that this weekend. I seem to use any excuse not to and yet I love it when I do, once I'm out on the road. I am afraid if she chucks me that she'll run off and get hurt on the road. I was always a bit worked up going to riding stables, but there was no messing, the horse was just ready. I think I'm scared cos my getting her ready signifies that I'm in charge

Psychological training can be just a important as physical training. I would be willing to bet you're not the only person with that problem. Have you tried hyping yourself up? Or just imagining a great time you had riding, before you tack up?

What have you done in terms of playing? Have you remembered to just have a fun day where you mess around and do random things or pony club games? Have you took the horse for a walk on the lead? Have you gone places with the horse? Do you take lessons with her?

Horses have a fanatastic homing skill. If, for whatever reason, she gets loose, she will find her way home.

I'll try all those things, thank you so much. I'm a bit stuck for bringing her places, cos I have no horse transport at the moment. I'm also going to try tacking up and just mooching around the field on her, to make the stuff routine instead of scary. Thanks for the reassurance.

Is there anyone around who horse rides?

• Advertisement

Loads of super dooper hunters who have no fear. I'll hack with them when they're exercising for the season though.

Tc100 wrote: »
    Loads of super dooper hunters who have no fear. I'll hack with them when they're exercising for the season though.

Have you gone hunting, on an experienced horse? Maybe you could get a lift every so often to lessons etc? Or find a free lance instructor who will teach you in the field

I've hunted this very mare and managed everything, even though I was scared. The funny thing is, I can ride spooks, and little rears and all sorts. I just have convinced myself that I can't or something. And the mare is the best, a brilliant girl, very forgiving and kind, great jumper. She's a follower, so she's a bit nappy and spooky when hacking alone, but when I ride her regularly, she's very relaxed. I've been watching videos on riding confidence. I've been trying to burst through the anxiety but now after today and advice from a few kind strangers such as yourself, I'm going to go back a few steps and do things slowly and calmly so that I don't make myself or the horse nervous.

Advertisement