Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Effect of joints when jogging on footpaths

• 27-06-2015 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I've always walked on them but she wants to run faster....is walking on these surfaces bad enough as it is?

I'm talking about 2hrs a day, but not concurrently.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I suppose "she" is a dog ? :D

In that case the reason why she wants to go faster is because for a dog a trot is far more energy efficient than a walk. Their tendons are set up as a kind of spring and in a trot they can release that stored energy perfectly...not so much at walking pace.

How good or bat trotting on asphalt is for a dog I can't answer unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

peasant wrote: »
    I suppose "she" is a dog ? :D

In that case the reason why she wants to go faster is because for a dog a trot is far more energy efficient than a walk. Their tendons are set up as a kind of spring and in a trot they can release that stored energy perfectly...not so much at walking pace.

How good or bat trotting on asphalt is for a dog I can't answer unfortunately.

A dog that I've to pay the health bills for! lol

Thanks for the info regarding the trot....I might start jogging....it looks weird walking at the pace I'm doing now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I do canicross and would never advise running a dog on concrete or asphalt, it can and does damage their joints over time, as the impact is greater than walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

muddypaws wrote: »
    I do canicross and would never advise running a dog on concrete or asphalt, it can and does damage their joints over time, as the impact is greater than walking.

100% on the comment above... my cocker and I used to do 5k running each night... he's now 10 with joint and shoulder issues...

I did have him on salmon oil form the age of 4 ... and that's helped him some what but not enough... he's now on Luposan pellets each day and salmon oil.. and while he is grand.. the damage done was avoidable.

if you are going to continue to run her, firstly start her on a supplement for his joints and then get health insurance..

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

cocker5 wrote: »
    100% on the comment above... my cocker and I used to do 5k running each night... he's now 10 with joint and shoulder issues...

I did have him on salmon oil form the age of 4 ... and that's helped him some what but not enough... he's now on Luposan pellets each day and salmon oil.. and while he is grand.. the damage done was avoidable.

if you are going to continue to run her, firstly start her on a supplement for his joints and then get health insurance..

Insurance for the dog or the OP? If its for the dog and the dog is over 4 years old, you wont get insurance.

• Advertisement

Ashbx wrote: »
    Insurance for the dog or the OP? If its for the dog and the dog is over 4 years old, you wont get insurance.

Well in my opinion both humans and canines should always have medical insurance - wouldn't be without it for either of us to be honest

:D

I've googled there and no where does it state a dog over 4 wont get insurance... i got it for my guy at 10 weeks ... im sure there would be a levy etc but cant see where it says they DEF wont insure the dog - maybe im wrong but cant find that anywhere.

Well in my opinion but humans and canines should always have medical insurance - wouldn't be without it for either of us to be honest

I've googled there and no where does it state a dog over 4 wont get insurance... i got it for my guy at 10 weeks ... im sure there would be a levy etc but cant see where it says they DEF wont insure the dog - maybe im wrong but cant find that anywhere.

I recently adopted a 6 year old border collie (I say adopted intentionally as she was not a rescue and I do know her health background). I asked a number of insurance companies and all have come back to say they wont insure a dog over 4 years of age....wont even give me a quote.

I just emailed one of the big ones there who refused to even give me a quote and to ask them their reasons why they wont insure a dog over 4. I will let you know what their response is.

Well in my opinion both humans and canines should always have medical insurance - wouldn't be without it for either of us to be honest

Ahem a lot of people cannot afford medical insurance for themselves. We're supposed to have FREE healthcare in our state. Nobody should need to pay private companies anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've had no problem insuring my dogs and both were over 4 when insured for the first time. Many providers won't cover a dog over the age of 8 unless they've been with them fro a couple of years beforehand.

euser1984 wrote: »
    Ahem a lot of people cannot afford medical insurance for themselves. We're supposed to have FREE healthcare in our state. Nobody should need to pay private companies anyway....

Let's not get into the free healthcare debate.. I can't particularly afford it myself but I find the funds , do without other things so I can pay if..as it's very important for me for us to have private healthcare.

The op asked about their dog .. And if they can afford it they should get pet insurance that's my advice.

My guy will need injections fur his joints soon and without his insurance it would cost me a fortune .. That's my advice!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    No more discussion of human healthcare in this context please... it's pulling thethread off-topic.
    Thanks,
    DBB

I do have insurance for the dog anyway given how I regard her.

Anyways I think I will just steer clear of roads if I'm jogging. I wonder how I'm going to find places to jog without roads or footpaths....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I do have insurance for the dog anyway given how I regard her.

Anyways I think I will just steer clear of roads if I'm jogging. I wonder how I'm going to find places to jog without roads or footpaths....

Most roads and footpaths have a grass verge beside them, so the dog can run there if they prefer, with you on the road/footpath

Got a reply from one of the insurance companies as to why they wouldn't ensue a dog over four and they said...

"We can insure a dog who is currently 4 years old but due to our underwriters we cannot accept a pet any older than this.
    Please accept my apologies for this but there is no way a policy can be issued."

Ashbx wrote: »
    Got a reply from one of the insurance companies as to why they wouldn't ensue a dog over four and they said...

"We can insure a dog who is currently 4 years old but due to our underwriters we cannot accept a pet any older than this.
    Please accept my apologies for this but there is no way a policy can be issued."

What about if you already have insured your dog from an early age?

What about if you already have insured your dog from an early age?

Oh yeah that is fine, you can continue the policy but if you want to get a new policy they wont let you. So just don't change insurance companies! :)

It was my second dog who was 5 when I got her so right from the start I couldn't insure her if I wanted to.

Advertisement