Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new lawn

Options
  • 27-06-2015 11:09am

Hi All

I rotivated, seeded and rolled an over grown site (after poisoning off all growth weeks earlier).

My problem is that the new seed is growing extremely patchy on the area and in addition to this I am getting an unreal amount of a broad leaf growth ( broad leaf that grows with a yellow flower-not dandelion).

What can I do? Its a large site (1/4 acre) so weeding it out is not ideal.

Any suggestions for what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its almost certainly a brassica, they do infest new lawns at an alarming rate. Mowing will discourage them and they will go away, don't leave them to seed.

The patchiness might sort itself or it might need a bit more seed, or a broadleaf weedkiller and feed might help. It could be poor bits of ground though. Maybe a pic would help? Not an expert on lawns, no doubt some of the others will be more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Not the best time of year to seed a new lawn... Autumn better. And this spring/ early summer has been particularly dry. Maybe reseed the patches then? Regular mowing should see off most of pesky weeds.

Just googled brassica and that's the fecker alright.

I'm way off mowing it yet as shoots only came up last week.

There are patches of bad ground alright where subsoil was mixed up with top soil and its in these areas where grass is struggling. Does it just need time?

Would extra watering bring on growth?

I knew it wasn't an ideal time but I really had to get it in as id missed the opportunity in April.

Is there a poison I could use that won't damage new grass shoots?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Weedkillers are not usually recommended for new lawns and they're not usually needed anyway. If the lawn is firm enough to walk on then mow at highest setting as suggested.

The reason some areas are patchy is because the areas with poor soil contains less moisture and nutrients. The patches will fill out once we get some rain.

• Advertisement

This brassica has gone into flower and really taken over. Im gutted after the time and effort I spent preparing for my new lawn.

I am going all out attack with the petrol strimmer later or would the lawnmower at highest setting be better?

Update:
    Took the lawnmower to it. Looked great for the first day or two. The weeds came back.

The lawn has been mowed twice now. The Brassica is still present only now it is going to flower way quicker and at the level of cutting.Cutting doesnt seem to deter it.
    Ive also now got some nettles and thistles beginning to rise up. Do I just keep at the cutting? I am right in saying that the grass is too young for weedkillers???

Some areas of the lawn have great green healthy growth of grass, others especially where the poor soil is have barely any yellowy coloured grass. Even the weeds do poorly here.

I have some used grow bags that I had strawberries in from last year. Im thinking of opening them up and scattering around the poor soil areas. Is there anything else which I can add to this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gardeninghobby

I think the grass is too young for weedkillers.

This seems to be a terrible year for weeds too. With all this rain and low temperatures its hard to keep the lawn in good condition. Grass is usually growing a lot faster at this time of year and weeds are less of a problem.

Advertisement