Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT vs university

Options
  • 27-06-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi!!!
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this but anyway....
    I've just completed my leaving cert to be honest it didn't really go the way i planned and i highly doubt i will get one of my top choices. I still have a bit of hope, but would like to have a solid plan B as i have little to no intention of doing the lc again. I really want to study in Dublin and really like the look of some of the courses available in DIT, but I'm not quite sure of the difference between a university and an IT. would anyone be able to clarify this for me please!? the two courses I'm looking at in particular are economics and finance and Business & Management. If anybody here has done or are doing one of these courses i would be so grateful to hear a students perspective on them. Also, what is the atmosphere like in DIT too? i know that might be a weird question, but with the different colleges and schools being all over Dublin i feel like it might be somewhat difficult to make new friends there or get involved in clubs and societies.
    The CAO closes on the first of July so if someone could respond or pm me as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sara16

I'll PM you with some info later on today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

eoin12345 wrote: »
    hi!!!
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right place for this but anyway....
    I've just completed my leaving cert to be honest it didn't really go the way i planned and i highly doubt i will get one of my top choices. I still have a bit of hope, but would like to have a solid plan B as i have little to no intention of doing the lc again. I really want to study in Dublin and really like the look of some of the courses available in DIT, but I'm not quite sure of the difference between a university and an IT. would anyone be able to clarify this for me please!? the two courses I'm looking at in particular are economics and finance and Business & Management. If anybody here has done or are doing one of these courses i would be so grateful to hear a students perspective on them. Also, what is the atmosphere like in DIT too? i know that might be a weird question, but with the different colleges and schools being all over Dublin i feel like it might be somewhat difficult to make new friends there or get involved in clubs and societies.
    The CAO closes on the first of July so if someone could respond or pm me as soon as possible I would greatly appreciate it!

In a nutshell DIT would be above most other IT's and would be treated similar to universities

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

eoin12345 wrote: »
    but I'm not quite sure of the difference between a university and an IT. would anyone be able to clarify this for me please!?

The simplest way to think of it is that an IT is essentially focused on teaching, a university is focused on the advancement of knowledge.

So what does that really mean? :)

ITs and Universities both offer qualifications up to doctorate/PhD level, so could be considered comparable in that sense. However, ITs typically slant their courses towards the more practical side of things, universities slant their courses towards the theoretical. While both types of institute engage in research, it is probably more prevalent in universities.

I've engaged in some serious generalisations there, but I hope that clarifies things somewhat.

And I would agree with others - DIT is possibly the most university like in terms of reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

few things,
    1. DIt is not an institute of technology. It is allow award its own degree , which its arent. it was established independently of the it system , which were regional tech schools , while dit was national
    2. DIT , itt and itb are forming the first tech university
    3. What dit falls down on a bit is facilities for clubs and socs. But they are good. List of clubs - http://www.ditsports.ie/download/streamfile/1066/

list of socs - http://www.dit.ie/societies/listofsocieties/ They are investing a lot in them , but it will take time

Feel free to ask be about any of the clubs and socs ,(clubs in particular) and ill be prob be able to tell you a bit about what they do , when the meet and all that sort of stuff.
    Good thing about it is , if you want to set up a club or soc you can, with a bit of effort and a good idea. (somebody please make me a tea soc)

4. You will be in anguir st which is just off st Stephens green. But i dont know anything the course

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Quake

bpb101 wrote: »
    Feel free to ask be about any of the clubs and socs ,(clubs in particular) and ill be prob be able to tell you a bit about what they do , when the meet and all that sort of stuff.

I'd like to ask about the Islamic society.

Which part of DIT do they meet up and is it to get to from Kevin street?

And is DIT being scattered around a pain in the neck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Quake wrote: »
    I'd like to ask about the Islamic society.

Which part of DIT do they meet up and is it to get to from Kevin street?

And is DIT being scattered around a pain in the neck?

They meet up in Kevin st most of the time.
    They have this prayer space in the basement of Kevin st.
    They do a good bit of charity work and often have a few
    What I presume you would call "introductions to Islam" where they tell you about it's history and beliefs to the non Islamic students . And let's you try on them head scarves

Active ennough soc.

As for Dit being scattered. It is a pain, but you get use to it

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Quake

bpb101 wrote: »
    They meet up in Kevin st most of the time.
    They have this prayer space in the basement of Kevin st.
    They do a good bit of charity work and often have a few
    What I presume you would call "introductions to Islam" where they tell you about it's history and beliefs to the non Islamic students . And let's you try on them head scarves

Active ennough soc.

As for Dit being scattered. It is a pain, but you get use to it

Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement