Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Herd of cattle stolen- IFA €10,000 REWARD

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Would random DNA testing work, with DNA registered on each animal's card, or would it be too expensive using current technology?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

How would that work? All angus look the same

True and black whiteheads are hard to tell apart. But at least it would make it that bit more difficult for the conmen.
    At the moment all they need is just a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

What about a tattoo on animals ears of their id like sum of the pb do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

or a freeze brand at least its permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

All that needs to be done is to take a hair sample from each
    calf when you tag it. No need to DNA test it until you have to, i.e. cattle stolen.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

calf when you tag it. No need to DNA test it until you have to, i.e. cattle stolen.
    but could the bvd sample not be used for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

20silkcut wrote: »
    A lot of people don't take the cards seriously especially with regard to DOB etc. They are just a piece of card and could very easily be forged or tampered with, by even the most basic PC printer system.
    The card should have a photo of the animal.
    They'd never fit on the passport photo booth

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭tomieen jones

Maybe the genomics scheme might be of some use after all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

What about a tattoo on animals ears of their id like sum of the pb do.

Done in the early stages of the TB scheme. Not at all easy to read after a while and most likely easily tampered with.
    whelan2 wrote: »

Most likely but the scheme was intended to be temporary.
    They'd never fit on the passport photo booth

The Dept are trying to do away with passports. They only still exist due to the IFA (AFAIK).

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

whelan2 wrote: »

Tried to dna test a number of calves in last few years with bvd tag and not one of them worked, was still able to get bvd results tho?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

greysides wrote: »
    The Dept are trying to do away with passports. They only still exist due to the IFA (AFAIK).

Good God, why? Why would you get rid of a system that is designed to make Irish meat traceable and trustworthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Good God, why? Why would you get rid of a system that is designed to make Irish meat traceable and trustworthy?

I don't think they're getting rid of the system , just the cards . It will be online still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Bullocks wrote: »
    I don't think they're getting rid of the system , just the cards . It will be online still
    Call me old school but I would prefer if they did not get rid of them. There is something secure about holding a card in your hand while checking an ear tag be it buying or selling directly off farm. A printed list is never going to be a replacement.
    If the IFA have supported keeping them well fair play - I never realised that there was talk about doing away with them. Was it publicised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Base price wrote: »
    Call me old school but I would prefer if they did not get rid of them. There is something secure about holding a card in your hand while checking an ear tag be it buying or selling directly off farm. A printed list is never going to be a replacement.
    If the IFA have supported keeping them well fair play - I never realised that there was talk about doing away with them. Was it publicised.

I don't know was it publicised, the vet told us last year that all the cards wouldn't be signed anymore because it was all be online and even the cards wouldn't be needed soon but thats as much as I heard since .

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Would microchipping animals work I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I don't know was it publicised, the vet told us last year that all the cards wouldn't be signed anymore because it was all be online and even the cards wouldn't be needed soon but thats as much as I heard since .
    So is it ok NOT to sign the cards now?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

So is it ok NOT to sign the cards now?

Vets don't need to sign the cards. Instead of certifying the test on the cards it is certified electronically when it is sent in to the Dept. The cards are still stamped with the reading date of the test for informations sake.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

i have heard that stolen cattle in Ireland and Britain end up in dodgy Halal abbetoirs where no documentation is required and no questions are asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Similar but an isolated field near my fathers there was people keeping sheep he saw one time just loading a few into transit no tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Got the same story from a dept inspector a few years ago he said that they served no purpose anymore while he was checking to see that they were all signed and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

It is on the notification letter you get from the dept. Vet stamps date only now, no herd number or scrawl, can be put in any box so cards will probably now last for life not just tests. Intermediate tests in locked up herds are not to be stamped.

They gave me two months notice of requirement to test, and they tell you not to treat an animal for anything from the date of the letter until after the reading, except in emergency and then only with the vets permission, Two months is a long time to go without routine dosing especially if it was nearly due when you got the letter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya was in same situation for last 12 months, levacide is only 21 day withdrawal period, most of the fluke ones are 7 weeks. Most of the withdrawals are on line just google them.
    Chances are if you have a reactor it's going to be 2 weeks after the test before they are gone.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Only charged, no convictions yet. 21st September for the hearing, and he's been released on bail..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Betya he knew the farmer. Local knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Kamili wrote: »
    Only charged, no convictions yet. 21st September for the hearing, and he's been released on bail..

The poster only said that it's coming to a conclusion.
    You have to have a trial before you get a conviction.
    It's not the Wild West.

It's not the Wild West.

Chill dude! I'm not saying it is, just that its not concluded yet and the trial is in September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

It's not the Wild West.

Your dead right, the tunt should be hung in public to put the rest of the fcukers off doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Woah there now, douse the torches and put down the pitchforks for a second. This lad is only charged, not convicted. Innocent until proven guilty and all that....

Boards.ie has a policy to not discuss ongoing/upcoming trials so could we try to keep discussion on the person in question to a minimum, that'd be great.

Kovu wrote: »
    Woah there now, douse the torches and put down the pitchforks for a second. This lad is only charged, not convicted. Innocent until proven guilty and all that....

Boards.ie has a policy to not discuss ongoing/upcoming trials so could we try to keep discussion on the person in question to a minimum, that'd be great.
    Agree 100%
    Maybe it's time to close this one!
    Edit to say that I don't know any of the circumstances of the theft other than what was written online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Happy for the family that this has moved on in the background, also nice to see someone being brought up on these charges, all to often the cattle disappear and no one is ever found..

_Brian wrote: »
    Happy for the family that this has moved on in the background, also nice to see someone being brought up on these charges, all to often the cattle disappear and no one is ever found..
    Two bulls were stolen from an outfarm in Nov 2012. We reported it to the Garda and Dept at the time. Never heard anything about them after.

I think the reason this one was followed up was because of the horse meat scandal along with the massive campaign run by the farm owner on social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Been following this from the comfort of the city . Glad to see it nearing closure.
    But one question.
    What's the difference between cows and cattle?
    I'm sure there is one ( insert confused emoji here)
    stealing nine cows, nine calves and 53 cattle

Been following this from the comfort of the city . Glad to see it nearing closure.
    But one question.
    What's the difference between cows and cattle?
    I'm sure there is one ( insert confused emoji here)

Cows is the collective term used for breeding females, cattle would be a group of miscellaneous stock e.g. bullocks, heifers, bulls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Whats the definition for a bullock and a heifer?

A bullock is a castrated male, preventing breeding and aggressive male characteristics.

A heifer is a female that hasn't calved. They can be maiden (unbred) or in-calf (pregnant). Once they calve they are cows.
    Sometimes a calved heifer is referred to as a cow-heifer until she calves a second time when she becomes simply a 'cow'.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

Whats the definition for a bullock and a heifer?

Bullock has been castrated. If it's done wrong (one ball left intact) you can term him a rig or stag. Probably a few other regional terms for it too. A heifer is technically a maiden female which has had no calf. If she's had a calf, she can be termed a cow-heifer.

Snap G :D

Advertisement