Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I go back to my original Dell OEM Windows 8 - after installing Windows 10?

• 27-06-2015 3:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Dell XPS that came with Windows 8. When 10 came out I reinstalled and used it for a while, but I want to go back to 8 now. Thing is my pc did not come with any media. Is it possible to download the original ISO and find out what my serial for my PC was?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Zascar wrote: »
    I have a Dell XPS that came with Windows 8. When 10 came out I reinstalled and used it for a while, but I want to go back to 8 now. Thing is my pc did not come with any media. Is it possible to download the original ISO and find out what my serial for my PC was?
    Thanks
    When 10 came out??? 10 isn't out yet, it's release date is July 29...

To answer your question though, depends on when you installed it. What built and what build is it on now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Win 10 has been out for months as part of the technical preview program. I have it and once the full version is released the pre release version automatically upgrades to the latest full version. Don't know why anyone would want back to Win 8 or 8.1 after using 10 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Win 10 has been out for months as part of the technical preview program. I have it and once the full version is released the pre release version automatically upgrades to the latest full version. Don't know why anyone would want back to Win 8 or 8.1 after using 10 though.

Because Tech Preview users aren't entitled to a Windows 10 license, only those upgrading in July from windows 7 or 8 are.

I'd ask on Microsoft's support pages Zascar, because the company has flip flopped constantly on Windows 10 licensing announcements/policy (if that is what you're at).

Is the recovery partition intact on your computer? If so, try setting it as the active partition and reboot. That might force the system to boot from it and run the recovery process.

But if it doesn't work, the system will be unbootable. So don't do this unless you have some way of changing back the active partition if it doesn't work, such as a bootable USB flash drive of some sort.

Overheal wrote: »
    Because Tech Preview users aren't entitled to a Windows 10 license, only those upgrading in July from windows 7 or 8 are.

I'd ask on Microsoft's support pages Zascar, because the company has flip flopped constantly on Windows 10 licensing announcements/policy (if that is what you're at).

Yes they are, perfectly entitled... http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

This will get you back to 8. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-uninstall-windows-10-technical-preview-1468867

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Windows 10 isn't "out" yet. You're running the technical preview, so you should use the technical preview documentation to get back to 8.1

The technical preview documentation told you to create a recovery drive or installtion media before you installed the technical preview:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq

testicle wrote: »
    If someone "upgraded" a Win7/Win8 installation, then the preview can upgrade to Win10, and remain activated. If someone did a clean install of the preview (replaced or formatted the HD), even on a machine that had a valid OEM license, then the existing preview instance doesn't necessarily know that there's a valid license to upgrade from, and that user may be entitled to an Win10 upgrade license, but they won't necessarily be able to get it on that machine - they may have to re-install their OEM OS and install the Win10 upgrade from there.

Bayberry wrote: »
    If someone "upgraded" a Win7/Win8 installation, then the preview can upgrade to Win10, and remain activated. If someone did a clean install of the preview (replaced or formatted the HD), even on a machine that had a valid OEM license, then the existing preview instance doesn't necessarily know that there's a valid license to upgrade from, and that user may be entitled to an Win10 upgrade license, but they won't necessarily be able to get it on that machine - they may have to re-install their OEM OS and install the Win10 upgrade from there.

They can, if they stay in the Insider Program.

They can, if they stay in the Insider Program.
    They can what? Continually run a preview version of the OS?

If they want to get off the hamster wheel and stick with the released version of Win10, they need to have upgraded from Win7/8. If the preview wasn't installed as an upgrade to an existing Win7/Win8, then it may be necessary to restore that Win7/8 build and upgrade to Win10 from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,650 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement

Bayberry wrote: »
    They can what? Continually run a preview version of the OS?

If they want to get off the hamster wheel and stick with the released version of Win10, they need to have upgraded from Win7/8. If the preview wasn't installed as an upgrade to an existing Win7/Win8, then it may be necessary to restore that Win7/8 build and upgrade to Win10 from there.

Once 10 is released on the 29th, there'll be further previews you know? It's not a release and close up shop...

Once 10 is released on the 29th, there'll be further previews you know? It's not a release and close up shop...
    If Preview versions were as stable and reliable as production builds, you wouldn't need to have preview builds. The "free for insiders" version may not be as reliable as the "free upgrade from Win7/8" version, simply because it'll be a build or two ahead.

You also won't have the option of turning off some of the data collection options in the Insider version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Did it twice now. If it was via preview and windows update, the old version can be restored by going into settings, then select recovery, restore previous version. It takes no time at all to restore.

Advertisement