Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira elite st problem

Options
  • 27-06-2015 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys, the shower in my ensuite has been making funny noises for the last few days, and the Mrs said it finally give up the ghost on her yesterday mid shower.

I turned the shower on this morning, and there's water coming out, albeit at a trickle, but after giving the unit a bit of a slap (Fonsee strike) it's started working as normal, although still with the noise in the background like somethings about to give.

The pressure and temp of the water still seems the same to me, but I'm wondering west part I need to replace, does this sound like a pump or a motor problem with the symptoms described?

If it helps, when I put my ear to the shower, the noise seems to be coming from the top left hand side.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Sounds like brushes on the pump could be gone. Is there any evidence of black dust around the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There will be black dust around any normally operating shower. Thats not to say its not the brushes, but the black coating will be evident on most showers.

Brushes could be worn down, or stuck in their guides. Or there could be another problem with the pump/motor.

Check the commutator on the motor, its the part the brushes make contact with consisting of copper strips. The pump can be rotated by hand to check it for any obvious problems.

Make sure the shower isolstor/pullchord switch is off of course, if you are going to look yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The way the pump sits in the Mira elite st it actually has one of the brushes looking out at you so you should see very easily if the brush is worn all the way. You'll see the spring is in as far as it goes. You can expect to pay around 100 supplied and fitted for new brushes and (sit down for this) 190 to 200 to have a new motor supplied and fitted. If it is the motor needs replacing it would be much better value getting the shower replaced. Around 330 for new shower supplied and fitted. It's statistically much more likely to be the brushes so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thanks for the replies lads.

Water and electricity don't sit well with me, add being committing l colour blind to that mix, so I think I'll get a professional in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stevenmartin99

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The way the pump sits in the Mira elite st it actually has one of the brushes looking out at you so you should see very easily if the brush is worn all the way. You'll see the spring is in as far as it goes. You can expect to pay around 100 supplied and fitted for new brushes and (sit down for this) 190 to 200 to have a new motor supplied and fitted. If it is the motor needs replacing it would be much better value getting the shower replaced. Around 330 for new shower supplied and fitted. It's statistically much more likely to be the brushes so fingers crossed.

I need to replace brushes and the front one was easy , however I am assuming I need to remove the motor and pump assembly to do this back one? I can't find any guide or pictures online about doing this , do you know how much needs to come out to get to it?

I see there is 2 kinda horseshoe clamps between the filter and pump and between pump and heater , with hex screws. Is that all I need to be removed and it will be free? I need to do it in a friends house and want to make sure I'm not stuck for some odd tool that I didn't bring!

I can't believe they didn't rotate the Motor 90degrees to leave brushes on the left and right! Although maybe it would cause carbon to spray further around the casing.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Turn the water and power off. The whole pump needs to come out for this one

Advertisement