Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT for imported car more than 4 years old

Options
  • 27-06-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I imported a 2009 vehicle from the UK last week (17th June), and got the VRT done at the first available appointment, Friday (26th) morning. I taxed it this morning (27th), as it appears to take 24 hours for the registration record to propagate. The car is insured, taxed and VRT'd, however, I don't have an NCT certificate. From what I read here, its UK MOT, which falls due in June 2016 is not valid in Ireland.

I attempted to book an NCT this morning, however my registration was not recognised by their system "No information found for your search" (see screenshot below).
    Is this a normal delay in the systems talking to one another? Anyone seen this before? If the tax people know about it, how far are NCTS likely to be behind?

353362.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

delays? NCT? nooo what makes you think that

someone with a sensible reply will be along shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As you've stated - it takes ~24 hours for the car to get registered on the Irish systems once you tax it.

Hence trying to book an NCT at the same time as taxing it isn't going to work. The car isn't going to be on the database the NCT uses until tomorrow at the earliest.

Alternatively, you could phone them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭goochy

I thought all imports have to be .ncted to get registered ? To cut down on crashed cars being imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

VRT first, then NCT, the two are completely separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

goochy wrote: »
    I thought all imports have to be .ncted to get registered ? To cut down on crashed cars being imported?

VRT inspection and NCT test are two separate procedures that just happen to be managed by the same company, the NCTS. However if an import is 4 years or older then it is required to be NCT'd once it has been registered in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

goochy wrote: »

Sort of, you take the car to an NCT centre, and go to the VRT desk. Lady there did a visual look over of the car, looked for trim marker, VIN etc. But it didn't go through the lane inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sort of, you take the car to an NCT centre, and go to the VRT desk. Lady there did a visual look over of the car, looked for trim marker, VIN etc. But it didn't go through the lane inspection.

See my previous post. VRT inspection and NCT test are separate.

Once the car is VRT'd and registered you then book the NCT, you don't do both the same day.

Advertisement