Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX 960

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Seeing as it's a gaming card I'd say the gaming version is just overclocked or something. I'd heartily recommend switching your CPU to an i3 4160, the Pentium is grand but can suffer from bottlenecks in a lot of places. Drop case to Zalman T4 if you need to accommodate it in your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Or even i3-4160+R9 270X > G3258+GT960

The G3258's minimum frames are a major obstacle to gameplay in some CPU heavy games like GTA V and Battlefield 4/Hardline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Seeing as it's a gaming card I'd say the gaming version is just overclocked or something. I'd heartily recommend switching your CPU to an i3 4160, the Pentium is grand but can suffer from bottlenecks in a lot of places. Drop case to Zalman T4 if you need to accommodate it in your budget.

I'm happy enough to stick to the pentium for now as the plan is to upgrade by the end of year, just want some machine to start with. Would I be better changing that card or sticking to what's there? Stupid me thought I'd ordered the OC version but didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can overclock the one you've got anyways. Terrors suggestion of he i3 and 270x is still a better idea than starting with the pentium. i3 should carry you for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Ok I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestions and help. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement