Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance offered me iphone 6 upgrade?

• 27-06-2015 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys would welcome any feedback on this. I lost my phone last week and had it insured. Sent in the form, details etc. They called me back offering an iphone 6 upgrade for an extra 190. I agreed because I thought I sounded like a great offer at the time, was relieved to hear back from the insurance after hearing so many horror stories! However the 190 is also in addition to the 65 euro excess! Am I saving at all with this price? The phone I lost was an iphone 5c. My bill will remain the same around 50 a month. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Melissa92 wrote: »
    Hi guys would welcome any feedback on this. I lost my phone last week and had it insured. Sent in the form, details etc. They called me back offering an iphone 6 upgrade for an extra 190. I agreed because I thought I sounded like a great offer at the time, was relieved to hear back from the insurance after hearing so many horror stories! However the 190 is also in addition to the 65 euro excess! Am I saving at all with this price? The phone I lost was an iphone 5c. My bill will remain the same around 50 a month. Any thoughts?

I would do it 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Melissa92

Sorry it isn't letting me edit, but basically I'm wondering is that considered a decent deal for an iphone 6 from an iphone 5c with the same contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

A break down of your bill may be helpfull
    (how much is for your phone , how much is for your calls)

How much did the original iphone cost you?
    How long is left in your contract
    When your contract is up , will you get a new phone again ,or does the contract restart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

It's a little steep, maybe by around 30-40 euro, but if you have the 190 then take the hit. I think it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

If you decline the offer are they able to get a 5c. If they can't you might here the 6 for free. Is the 5c still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

naasrd wrote: »
    It's a little steep, maybe by around 30-40 euro, but if you have the 190 then take the hit. I think it's worth it.

A new iPhone 5c cost €399, iPhone 6 €699. How's that steep? Excess is part of your t&c and you would have payed that if you didn't take the iPhone 6 as well...
    Make sure your get at least the same or bigger memory. Seems like a great deal to me. It should not affect the duration of any contract as phone insurance is usually dealt with by 3rd party insurer (even if insured through the network provider) so it should not affect when you can upgrade/cancel contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Melissa92

Thanks for the replies. Apparently to upgrade as normal through meteor would cost me a lot more in the region of 400 to 500. So I guess it is good value to take this upgrade through the insurance. I have to pay the 65 euro anyway, so I'll be raging if I pay it and get the same 5c may as well get a brand new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Thanks for the replies. Apparently to upgrade as normal through meteor would cost me a lot more in the region of 400 to 500. So I guess it is good value to take this upgrade through the insurance. I have to pay the 65 euro anyway, so I'll be raging if I pay it and get the same 5c may as well get a brand new one.

May seem like a great deal , but the insurances isent really a great deal
    Your paying 12.99 a month for insurances which ends up at €155 a year
    Add on top of that 190 for the upgrade and then the €60 excess = €305 to replace your phone , now i know what your saying that it would cost you €400 to upgrade now, But take into account the odds of losing the phone and your really getting a tad screwed.

Prob best off to take it , but just something to keep in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Depends on how likely you are breaking/losing your phone. Never had insurance but do now (wife breaks too many phones). 2 €900 phones insured for €14/month not too bad.

Advertisement