Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone please help me

Options
  • 27-06-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I have a problem with my laptop. It's an Asus one.

I have 3 files in my downloads folder and all I want to do is copy and paste them to a different folder but anytime I try to do that the little circle on the arrow comes up and it freezes. Then I have to X out of it and it puts me to the home screen but the screen is just blank.

Then I have to press control, alt and delete to sign out and back in.

I can browse the Web etc no problem and I can even go into those 3 files but when I try to copy them this happens every time. Please someone help me , it's driving me nuts

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I have a problem with my laptop. It's an Asus one.

I have 3 files in my downloads folder and all I want to do is copy and paste them to a different folder but anytime I try to do that the little circle on the arrow comes up and it freezes. Then I have to X out of it and it puts me to the home screen but the screen is just blank.

Then I have to press control, alt and delete to sign out and back in.

I can browse the Web etc no problem and I can even go into those 3 files but when I try to copy them this happens every time. Please someone help me , it's driving me nuts

Have you tried to right click on them and see if there is a save as option and add them to the new folder? Or save them to it when you have them open?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Stheno wrote: »
    Have you tried to right click on them and see if there is a save as option and add them to the new folder? Or save them to it when you have them open?

They are music files so they open in media player but I just want to save them to a folder on my desk top

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They are music files so they open in media player but I just want to save them to a folder on my desk top

Don't use media player but check if there is a save option

Or try having the two folders open and doing a drag and drop?

Or keep the downloads folder smaller and just drag them on to the desktop?

Don't use media player but check if there is a save option

Or try having the two folders open and doing a drag and drop?

Or keep the downloads folder smaller and just drag them on to the desktop?

Thanks il try that later. I have done this 100s of times with music but it just won't work this time.

I'm not liking windows 8 tbh

Thanks il try that later. I have done this 100s of times with music but it just won't work this time.

I'm not liking windows 8 tbh

Do you know how to make it look like Windows 7 or xp? I disliked it as my machine is not a touchscreen but once I changed it to look like seven it's fine

• Advertisement

Do you know how to make it look like Windows 7 or xp? I disliked it as my machine is not a touchscreen but once I changed it to look like seven it's fine

No I don't know how ? I tried dragging them to the desktop and it freezes , I tried right clicking on them and it freezes. Will I just delete them ? Surely they must be faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Did you download them? If you did make sure they are not still in use by the Prog used to down them. Close it and try to move them.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Did you download them? If you did make sure they are not still in use by the Prog used to down them. Close it and try to move them.

Thanks ya I downloaded them and closed the programme. I can't use any of my files now without the laptop freezing

Thanks ya I downloaded them and closed the programme. I can't use any of my files now without the laptop freezing

I'd use AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes to scan and clean the system without delay.

You might have to down them on another machine and transfer them to yours via pen drive or something/ You might also need to start your machine in safe mode to install them.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I'd use AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes to scan and clean the system without delay.

You might have to down them on another machine and transfer them to yours via pen drive or something/ You might also need to start your machine in safe mode to install them.

Sounds complicated ha

• Advertisement

If you start your system in "Safe Mode" does everything freeze?

If you start your system in "Safe Mode" does everything freeze?

Haven't tried , I will give it a go when I get home

I started the laptop in safe mode and I can move the downloads now but when I try to play them I get a message saying "server execution failed" .

I get that message now with any song I try to play even the ones that were working perfectly

I started the laptop in safe mode and I can move the downloads now but when I try to play them I get a message saying "server execution failed" .

I get that message now with any song I try to play even the ones that were working perfectly

Is that while still in safe mode?

Restart normally and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tenner says they're malware. Delete them OP and get your music legitimately.

Is that while still in safe mode?

Restart normally and see what happens

Yes that was in safe mode. I reset my laptop without deleting files and its still the same now

ED E wrote: »
    Tenner says they're malware. Delete them OP and get your music legitimately.

They were all working 100% until yesterday. I can play them now again but it's making my laptop freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does right clicking or interacting with any other files cause this issue or just these 3 files? I ask because it sounds like an issue I was having with Windows until this fixed it for me:

http://www.reddit.com/r/windows8/comments/2bzvqy/windows_81_explorerexe_crashes_every_time_i/

I installed this:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

and disabled a load of extensions that it highlights in red (nothing Windows related just crap like the Foxit pdf reader entries etc) and it totally fixed my issue.

Just bear in mind aswell this could be nothing to do with your problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

No ones mention the command line xcopy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771254.aspx

mach1982 wrote: »
    No ones mention the command line xcopy

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771254.aspx

I think the OP's issue is far more security related than inability to move or copy.

• Advertisement

I haven't done anything with it since anyway . Just been turned off

Advertisement