Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What wrong with my tree

Options
  • 27-06-2015 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I have a maple (i think) tree. It is not doing well. It there for years and now not even half the size of it's comrade planted the same day. Goin to try put up some pics.

The leafs are leak and some are brown like dieing. There is also some furry stuff growin on it like moss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭bing3

Most acers hate wind. If its in an exposed area consider moving it somewhere sheltered as they can tolerate being transplanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

The 'furry' stuff is lichen which is a symptom of a plant growing poorly and not a cause.

Is there a nice clear area around the trunk?

That picture will help diagnose the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭kk09

Some pictures

I would say it is in a sheltered area, more so than the other tree. It is on the lawn, with grass growing around the trunk. The other tree is surrounded with bark mulch.

kk09 wrote: »
    I would say it is in a sheltered area, more so than the other tree. It is on the lawn, with grass growing around the trunk. The other tree is surrounded with bark mulch.

The grass is your biggest problem.

Keep a 1m diameter circle grass free around the trunk. Put bark there if you like.

The grass takes all the moisture from the soil before the tree can get it and also eats up nutrients. Its a little late for feeding trees but a liquid feed even now might help. And loads of water if the area is dry.

Check the trunk at the base for lawnmower or strimmer damage.

You should notice a big improvement next year but feed in the spring again.

• Advertisement

I'll do that n see how it goes

There is some lawnmower / strimmer damage. Is the obvious answer to be more careful the way to go or is there some kind of fix for such damage.

kk09 wrote: »
    There is some lawnmower / strimmer damage. Is the obvious answer to be more careful the way to go or is there some kind of fix for such damage.

No fix at this stage, but it's another reason to have the clear area around it. Clear the area and see what happens next year. After feeding, if you get better growth you should be fine.

Advertisement