Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PW Boards Fantasy League Tournament

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The final week...

TLC_2015_official_poster.jpg

The first show of our four-show finale - TLC - is in the books and with 8 matches on offer, plus a potential bonus of ten points for predicting the Tables, Ladder and Chairs matches respectively, there was plenty to play for on the show.

With regards the bonus I can reveal that four players secured the maximum ten points. They were: Bounty Hunter, Cheese Wagstaff, LeeJM and myself.

I will begin the update with the scores from the show (including bonuses where necessary) before revealing the updated league table. Read on for more...

*Warning - TLC spoilers lie below. Do not read further if you do not want the results from the PPV.*

TLC scores

Bounty Hunter....................31 pts
    Cheese Wagstaff.................28 pts
    LeeJM...............................27 pts
    Mr.Nice Guy.......................26 pts
    A Brad Maddox Guy.............25 pts
    Stereomaniac.....................19 pts
    DM_7................................17 pts
    beakerjoe..........................14 pts
    linvoysblues.......................13 pts
    Scavenger XIII...................10 pts
    Hashtag_Heel......................2 pts
    thebostoncrab......................2 pts
    Zemuppet............................2 pts

TLC Fallout

The highest score for the show goes to Bounty Hunter who scored wins with Del Rio, Charlotte, and his mid-tier picks Kofi and captain Big E. He also scored the maximum available from the bonus on offer.

Just behind him, much to the disappointment of his rivals, the leader Cheese Wagstaff maintained his excellent consistency of late with a strong score of 28.

The average score for TLC was 17 points.

And here is how it has affected our league table...

Final Week Standings (Post-PPV)

1. Cheese Wagstaff................................................................744 points

2. Bounty Hunter...................................................................715 points

3. A Brad Maddox Guy............................................................710 points

4. LeeJM...............................................................................701 points

5. Mr.Nice Guy......................................................................700 points

6. DM_7...............................................................................664 points

7. linvoysblues......................................................................638 points

8. Scavenger XIII..................................................................627 points

9. Stereomaniac....................................................................601 points

10. beakerjoe........................................................................559 points

11. Hashtag_Heel...................................................................455 points

12. thebostoncrab..................................................................442 points

13. Zemuppet........................................................................380 points

League Fallout

Congrats are again due to Cheese Wagstaff who continues to sit on top of the pile. His lead from last week has been cut - but only by two points. He now enjoys a lead of 29 points over his nearest rival going into the final three shows.

The only tiny glimmer of hope for his rivals concerns Cheese Wagtaff's captaincy choice of Roman Reigns. If Reigns ends up being fired in storyline, then he won't score for the rest of the week and there could be potential gains for other players. It's admittedly a long shot though. I reckon we will be able to crown Cheese Wagstaff the winner after Raw if he has a lead of 20 points or more.

The big movement this week sees Bounty Hunter overtake A Brad Maddox Guy for second place while LeeJM secures fourth spot for himself as I slip to fifth.

TLC results

Sasha Banks defeated Becky Lynch

Big E and Kofi defeated The Usos and The Lucha Dragons

Rusev defeated Ryback

Alberto Del Rio defeated Jack Swagger

Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Erick Rowan and Braun Strowman defeated The Dudley Boyz, Tommy Dreamer and Rhyno

Dean Ambrose defeated Kevin Owens

Charlotte defeated Paige

Sheamus defeated Roman Reigns

170px-Lana_and_Rusev.jpg

A good win for Rusev on the show. Will he pick up some more wins this week?

The main event finish was interesting and one wonders how it will affect things from our perspective.

That's it for the PPV update. On to Raw which ought to tell us a lot.

The final week...

220px-WWE_Raw_logo.png

An eventful Raw to say the least is done and dusted and that means we are one step closer to the end of the contest. There were only six matches that went the distance on this show and so every point mattered.

I'll begin as usual by highlighting the scores for Raw and then move on to the latest league standings. Read on for more...

*Note - Raw spoilers below. Do not read further if you do not want news of Raw.*

Monday Night Raw scores

A Brad Maddox Guy.............24 pts
    linvoysblues.......................17 pts
    Mr.Nice Guy.......................15 pts
    Cheese Wagstaff.................14 pts
    DM_7................................11 pts
    Hashtag_Heel.....................11 pts
    Scavenger XIII...................10 pts
    Bounty Hunter.....................9 pts
    Zemuppet...........................9 pts
    Stereomaniac......................8 pts
    thebostoncrab......................8 pts
    beakerjoe...........................7 pts
    LeeJM.................................6 pts

Raw Fallout

The highest score for Raw by some distance goes to A Brad Maddox Guy who gets the best Raw score for the third week in a row. With the exception of Kalisto, every single member of his squad scored wins, including his captain Rusev.

The average score for Raw was 11 points.

And here is how it has affected our league table as we prepare for the final part of the week...

Final Week Standings (Post-Raw)

1. Cheese Wagstaff................................................................758 points

2. A Brad Maddox Guy............................................................734 points

3. Bounty Hunter...................................................................724 points

4. Mr.Nice Guy......................................................................715 points

5. LeeJM...............................................................................707 points

6. DM_7...............................................................................675 points

7. linvoysblues......................................................................655 points

8. Scavenger XIII..................................................................637 points

9. Stereomaniac....................................................................609 points

10. beakerjoe........................................................................566 points

11. Hashtag_Heel...................................................................466 points

12. thebostoncrab..................................................................450 points

13. Zemuppet........................................................................389 points

League Fallout

Congrats again go to Cheese Wagstaff who stays top of the table. I speculated after TLC that Cheese Wagstaff's captain might not feature and could perhaps be fired in storyline. What happened? Er, well he fought and won the WWE Title. Goes to show what I know...

I also remarked that if Cheese Wagstaff had a 20+ point lead we might be able to crown him the winner before the final show, and Cheese Wagstaff has that lead and must remain the overwhelming favourite, but I didn't count on the hefty score of A Brad Maddox Guy which has left a seed of doubt. His big score sees him overtake Bounty Hunter for second place, and if one looks at the make-up of the top two squads in the league there are differences to be found:
    Cheese Wagstaff squad: Roman Reigns (c), Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, Alberto Del Rio; Big E, Braun Strowman; Kalisto.

Cheese Wagstaff NXT pick: Finn Balor

A Brad Maddox Guy squad: Alberto Del Rio, Charlotte, Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt; Luke Harper, Rusev (c); Kalisto

A Brad Maddox Guy NXT pick: Samoa Joe

We can discount Alberto Del Rio and Kalisto because they both have them. The way I see it the following things need to happen for A Brad Maddox Guy to have any sort of chance: the New Day must be a no-show again like they were on Raw; the Wyatt Family must appear and win on Smackdown (not a guarantee but not impossible); Rusev must appear and win (and perhaps be involved in double duty with the League of Nations); and Samoa Joe must win on the NXT special.

In all honesty it's a massive long shot for A Brad Maddox Guy; but hey, at least it is a shot. And at this point he is the only guy in with a sniff of stopping the incredible form of Cheese Wagstaff.

In other news, I managed to overtake LeeJM for fourth place while the good score of linvoysblues means DM_7 will have to watch over his shoulder in case he loses his top six spot.

Raw results

Dolph Ziggler defeated Dean Ambrose via D.Q.

Bo Dallas vs R-Truth went to a no-contest

Rusev and Alberto Del Rio defeated Ryback and Jack Swagger

Neville defeated Tyler Breeze

The Wyatt Family defeated The Dudley Boyz, Tommy Dreamer and Rhyno

Charlotte and Becky defeated Brie Bella and Alicia Fox

Roman Reigns defeated Sheamus

220px-Roman_Reigns_November_2013.jpg

The win for Reigns illustrated why he is pretty much a must-have in the game. It's a bit like with Cena a few months back when everyone pretty much had to have him. He's too important to leave out.

That concludes the Raw update. I intend to post the Smackdown update around about Thursday evening (which could go into Friday morning if there are any dodgy results that I have to investigate). By that time we will know the winner of the NXT main event and so it will be included in the Smackdown update.

All this means that the next update will be the final one of the game and we can declare at long last the winner of the 2015 PW Fantasy League tournament. Stay tuned...

World_Heavyweight_Championship_%28WWE%29_%282002%29_-_present.jpg

Smackdown as well as the NXT special from London have finished and with that we reach the end of this contest and complete a journey that has lasted over six months.

We have seen high scores and low scores, fantastic captaincy choices as well as forgettable ones, we have manoeuvred through stipulation challenges and collected bonus points where we could, all for one purpose: to be declared the champion.

And so now, without further ado, it is my pleasure to crown the winner of the 2015 PW Boards Fantasy League Tournament...

...Cheese Wagstaff!

In a result that in truth will come as little surprise to his rivals, Cheese Wagstaff, who has proven himself to be the outstanding player of the contest for some time now, deservedly takes the title and adds another award to his recent PW Boards Best Newcomer accolade. Here is a quick summary of his path to glory...

Road to the Title

There were ominous signs for other players after only the first week of the competition. After the first show of the game in week #1 Cheese Wagstaff raced into an 8 point lead. He would finish the week with a lead of 8 points.

It was a show of strength that would be a sign of things to come. For the first seven weeks of the contest he kept top spot. His first real test came in week #8 when DM_7 would knock him off the top - but it was to prove short-lived. Cheese Wagstaff regained first place the following week.

His next test came in weeks #11 and #12 when yours truly knocked him off top spot. This was the first time Cheese Wagstaff found himself off the top spot two weeks in a row - it would also be the last. Normal service resumed the following week when he went back on top.

The final test of his credentials would come in week #16 when A Brad Maddox Guy took the top spot. But once again Cheese Wagstaff would respond the following week by regaining control - and he never lost it.

After gameweek #17 he held the top spot all the way to his eventual triumph and it meant that out of the 25 gameweeks we played, he held the top spot for 21 of them. It is a remarkable illustration of his excellent form through the game and the rest of us simply couldn't deal with it.

The only real blip for Cheese Wagstaff would come in the Fantasy Cup when linvoysblues knocked him out in the quarter-finals in what was perhaps the shock of the whole competition. It denied the league champ the chance to battle for a double.

But he emerges with the accolade he had wanted most of all. The league table doesn't lie and with a final tally of 771 points he finishes with a margin of 28 points over his nearest rival A Brad Maddox Guy.

Job done. Game won. All hail Champion Wagstaff!

*Note - Smackdown & NXT: London spoilers below. Do not read further if you do not want the results.*

Below are the scores for Smackdown and NXT: London. Four players correctly predicted the winner of the NXT: London main event. They were: Bounty Hunter, Cheese Wagstaff, DM_7 and myself. I have added bonus points where necessary:

Smackdown and NXT: London scores

Mr.Nice Guy........................17 pts
    Bounty Hunter.....................14 pts
    Cheese Wagstaff..................13 pts
    DM_7.................................13 pts
    linvoysblues........................13 pts
    beakerjoe...........................11 pts
    Stereomaniac......................11 pts
    Hashtag_Heel......................10 pts
    A Brad Maddox Guy...............9 pts
    Scavenger XIII.....................8 pts
    LeeJM..................................7 pts
    thebostoncrab.......................7 pts
    Zemuppet.............................5 pts

Smackdown & NXT: London Fallout

The highest score goes to yours truly thanks mainly due to my decision to stick the captaincy on Kalisto, plus correctly predicting that Finn Balor would defeat Samoa Joe.

The average score was 11 points.

If you're interested in the best performing stars of the week, Alberto Del Rio was the MVP with wins on each show giving him 9 points. Just behind him, Rusev, Dolph Ziggler and the mid-tier Wyatts would all provide 8 points each respectively.

And now for a look at the final league standings...

Final Standings

1. Cheese Wagstaff................................................................771 points

2. A Brad Maddox Guy............................................................743 points

3. Bounty Hunter...................................................................738 points

4. Mr.Nice Guy......................................................................732 points

5. LeeJM...............................................................................714 points

6. DM_7...............................................................................688 points

7. linvoysblues......................................................................668 points

8. Scavenger XIII..................................................................645 points

9. Stereomaniac....................................................................620 points

10. beakerjoe........................................................................577 points

11. Hashtag_Heel...................................................................476 points

12. thebostoncrab..................................................................457 points

13. Zemuppet........................................................................394 points

League Fallout

As noted above the margin of victory for the champ Cheese Wagstaff was 28 points and so there can be no doubt that he is a deserving winner. Well done to him.

After many weeks of congestion and scrapping for second spot it is A Brad Maddox Guy who finally takes the place. Meanwhile despite having the highest score for Smackdown I am unable to take third spot from Bounty Hunter.

LeeJM ends up having to settle for fifth but seeing as he has the only other accolade of the game, the Fantasy Cup, I don't think he will be too disappointed. The Cup runner-up, DM_7, ends up in sixth place with linvoysblues unable to pip him to the spot; but linvoysblues at least has some satisfaction in finishing ahead of Scavenger XIII, who he has been having a topsy-tury battle with throughout the contest. Stereomaniac had some strong moments but is ultimately unable to make ground on the lads above while beakerjoe rounds out the top ten places and avoids relegation. :pac:

Smackdown results

Alberto Del Rio defeated Ryback

Titus O'Neil defeated Tyler Breeze

The Lucha Dragons defeated Xavier Woods and Kofi

Becky Lynch defeated Brie Bella

Dolph Ziggler defeated Kevin Owens via D.Q.

NXT: London bonus

Finn Balor defeated Samoa Joe

180px-NXT_Champion_Finn_Balor.jpg

A strong win for Balor. A pity we never got to use him in our main roster selections. Then again, you look at what is happening to Tyler Breeze and maybe he is better off where he is.

On to...the future! And my thoughts and thanks...

I'd first off like to thank each player for taking part in the competition. I had always had an itch to do a fantasy football-esque game for wrestling and I wasn't sure if it could be pulled off. But we managed it and it was your participation that made it possible.

I was disappointed that we were unable to attract any newcomers beyond the original volunteers. I accept responsibility for that. When I posted the thread originally I did so largely on an impulse and reading it back it's all pretty shaky. I had suggested initially a trial run which probably put off a few posters who may have volunteered if I had just dove in with it. Some may have decided to sit on the fence and see how the trial run played out - but of course then we ditched the trial run idea and just plowed in. That was a messy start and it was poor planning on my part. My explanation of the rules was also pretty convoluted. And I think I could have promoted it better such as given advance notice a few weeks ahead of time the way Bounty Hunter sensibly did with the Draft, or even stuck a note in my sig to draw some more eyes to the thread. I will try to learn from this.

On a more positive note several players remarked that playing the game had increased their interest in WWE, or even maintained interest. I was delighted to hear that as this was one of the reasons I wanted to do the game. I can say that if I were not running the contest I would have given up on the product earlier in the year, definitely Smackdown, and so in that sense the game kept me invested.

I am interested to hear any feedback players may have, good or bad, on your experience. I am particularly interested in your thoughts on the format. I noticed that the weeks with most interest and responses involved the Cup. I don't think that's a surprise as it meant when players had something to play for they got involved. In the last few weeks, when only a handful of players had something to fight for, the interest fell off and squad submissions were down. Should a different format have been used? Something along the lines of rugby's Pro 12? Maybe have the top four teams fight in a play-off at the end of the season to determine the winner? I'm curious about your thoughts.

I did have an idea that I didn't get to use which I was going to call the tag team tournament. It would have seen me randomly pair two squads together and face off against another pair and it would have brought a new dimension to things since you'd be relying on your partner to have a good week as well as you. This would have worked along with the league like the Cup did. Whether it would have been popular I don't know.

One thing I do think is that 25 weeks was too long. If I could do it over I would make it between 16 and 20 weeks.

With all that said, I enjoyed the experience and the overall atmosphere and I hope you did too. I hope to see many of you in the Draft coming up in a month's time which I would recommend to those who have never played it.

Thanks once more and a final congrats to Cheese Wagstaff - the Champion - and LeeJM - the Cup winner - on their respective triumphs. And to everyone have a great Christmas and a happy new year!

PW Boards Fantasy League Honours

Fantasy League Champion: Cheese Wagstaff

Runner-up: A Brad Maddox Guy

Fantasy Cup Champion: LeeJM

Runner-up: DM_7

Highest Score for a single show: Cheese Wagstaff and DM_7 (33 pts in week #13)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Thanks for running that MNG, I enjoyed it & as others have said it definitely kept my interest in the product - now that it's over I will revert to WWE's stance & pretend Smackdown doesn't exist :pac:

As for suggestions, I'd agree with making it a bit shorter. I think it ends at a great time with the Draft just over 2 weeks away so I'd personally start it a bit later in the year (I can't believe this started in June, definitely doesn't seem like it was that long ago). A couple suggestions I'd make is to reduce the number of top tier selections to 3 & put a few more midcard names into the bottom tier rather than just jobbers. Also maybe drop the number of transfers to 2 per week. My thinking is this might lead to a bit more variation in team selections, making it easier to gain ground & tougher to hold on.

I felt this ran really smoothly though, the stips added to it & the cup was a great idea. It'd be great if more got on board with it in the future. And congrats to Cheese Wagstaff, fully deserved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well done to the excellent Winner and thank you very much to MNG for running a fantastic competition.

It sure kept my interest up in WWE.

For feedback, I would reduce transfers back to two, three meant it was a little easy to change things for a PPV for example. The format worked well overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Just to add to the above you have done a super job with this MNG. I really enjoyed it and look forward to defending my PWBFL Cup (maybe we could get a sponser for the cup) next year, unless of course I get invited to the World Fantasy League Cup then like United in 2000 I'm off to Brazil :P

I like Brad Maddox Guys idea of changing up the tier slightly and limiting transfers. Maybe have a Womens/Divas tier all of their own and you must select 1 an while having points for appearances & wins maybe also have points for loses and a penalty if your selected Woman/Diva doesnt appear at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Thanks for a very enjoyable game Mr. Nice Guy. I picked solely based on kayfabe reasons so I am very surprised that I didn't finish at the bottom. Also I sometimes went a few weeks without updating my squad, ha ha. Fair play to you for making wins and losses matter for me on each of the weekly shows. It's a great way to keep interested in down periods.

Advertisement