Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burgers - Home Made or Ready Made

Options
  • 28-06-2015 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend?

Homemade all the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Butcher made over frozen for me usually. SuperQuinn do some nice sirloin ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Can't beat making your own but Aldi's Aberdeen Angus burgers are a very tasty alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If you have the time maki your own is great.
    However if you know of a good craft style butcher they usually make fantastic handmade burgers there in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Make your own as you can be flexible with the contents.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Banner Burgers from Keanes Butchers in Ennis, steak mince mixed with peepers and onions. It's also most like a meatball when you buy it, nom nom nom.

The Tesco finest burgers arent bad either, I'm really not a fan of frozen burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I prefer homemade. Mince, salt and pepper. Nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Home-made for me - with grated Parmesan serving as the binding agent.

RasTa wrote: »
    Butcher made over frozen for me usually. SuperQuinn do some nice sirloin ones

Sorry, but I wouldn't believe it was minced sirloin unless they minced it in front of me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Sorry should have also said does anyone have a good receipe for the homemade version? and i do LOVE onions! I might try the Aldi ones as well as we have one nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry should have also said does anyone have a good receipe for the homemade version? and i do LOVE onions! I might try the Aldi ones as well as we have one nearby.

I use this one all the time: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/a-cracking-burger/#kuvgc0RXfr0UlbIT.97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Do the cream crackers make much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Crackers sound interesting. Found this comment
    They do the same thing as stale breadcrumbs but these days, noone ever has stale bread around. The burgers are less stodgy using crackers. They worked very well when I tried them during a summer barbie last year.

I hate how so many people serve up burgers in those giant buns that have become so popular now. There are few if any ready made burgers that suit them, fresh or frozen. The fresh ones are usually worse, too thick and small diameter, presumably so they will not fall apart easily. I always have to flatten them out more.

I have heard it called golf ball syndrome, like a giant meatball in between a vienna roll.

20120625-burger-lab-lamb-burger-18.jpg

I squish mine out flat on tinfoil and put the foil directly on a BBQ, when it begins to cook it makes it bind. In my airfryer I hold the thin pattie in my hand, take the basket out and turn it upside down and put the meat up inside and then flip it over.

rubadub wrote: »
    I hate how so many people serve up burgers in those giant buns that have become so popular now.

Yup I posted this somewhere else yesterday but this is the perfect bun/meat ratio imo

umilfy_official.jpg?w=1000

That reminds me, Aldi sell brioche burger buns, have to give them a try.

gets good reviews.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/fresh-bakery/bakery/rolls/rolls-product-detail-page/ps/p/specially-selected-burger-brioche-buns/

Yeah they're pretty good for the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

gets good reviews.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/fresh-bakery/bakery/rolls/rolls-product-detail-page/ps/p/specially-selected-burger-brioche-buns/

They are absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Yes indeed, the Aberdeen Angus burgers and the brioche buns are a match made in heaven:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Layinghen wrote: »
    Yes indeed, the Aberdeen Angus burgers and the brioche buns are a match made in heaven:)

Jays us we're getting fierce fancy these days -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make my burgers with 500g of mince, a good handful or two of breadcrumbs (Panko give a nice firm texture and I usually have some in the freezer), grated onion - much easier than chopping it into tiny dice, salt & black pepper and an egg to bind. I have a little burger press and it makes the job of shaping them a lot easier.
    I either serve them in gravy with lots of sautéed onions or in brioche buns, which Dunnes also sell now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I make my burgers with 500g of mince, a good handful or two of breadcrumbs (Panko give a nice firm texture and I usually have some in the freezer), grated onion - much easier than chopping it into tiny dice, salt & black pepper and an egg to bind. I have a little burger press and it makes the job of shaping them a lot easier.
    I either serve them in gravy with lots of sautéed onions or in brioche buns, which Dunnes also sell now :)

try a bitta whole grain mustard ~1 tea spoon per burger. other than that your bang on the mark with the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

They're used in place of breadcrumbs and help bind everything together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

gets good reviews.

The biz with homemade burgers be it beef, turkey or lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

This recipe is great and really easy, you never need to buy a pre-made burger bun again:

http://www.simplysogood.com/2014/05/brioche-burger-buns.html

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I'm a fan of mince (make sure it's not extra lean) carefully shaped into a patty without over handling the meat. Salt, pepper, brush of mustard and on the BBQ. Perfect. If you indent the middle slightly it helps the burger stay flat. And whatever you do don't press the burger as you cook it unless you like dry meat.

nosietoes wrote: »
    I'm a fan of mince (make sure it's not extra lean)
    Yes, usually I see about 18% fat recommended. The cheaper ones can be about 26%. I have mixed butter into leaner meat.

nosietoes wrote: »
    If you indent the middle slightly it helps the burger stay flat.
    +1, like the one on the bottom here. I do it far more extreme like that, the sides on mine are really high, I had a thin bit. I usually have the burger so wide its hanging out the side of the bun a little.

20100709-burger-shaping-raw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

eoinf wrote: »
    try a bitta whole grain mustard ~1 tea spoon per burger. other than that your bang on the mark with the above.

+1 on the mustard, it really gives a burger a nice kick. I also drop in a couple tbsp of worcestershire sauce and a drop of hickory liquid smoke to boot.

Must try those brioche buns from Aldi, their jalapeno and caramelised red onion relishes are delicious on top of a burger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Aldi Gourmet Burger Buns are very good. The basic buns they have fall apart at the slightest touch, but not these ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

It's hard to beat homemade burgers, but I have to agree with everyone here re the Aldi Angus burgers. As frozen burgers go, they're pretty good. Haven't tried those brioche buns yet. Time to thrown them in the trolley I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I never make my own burgers these days. Why would I when my butcher makes them exactly as I like them? : just meat and seasoning, uniform, not too thick and made fresh daily.

Finally got around to tasting the Aldi brioche buns. I was sceptical but I really did like them. Tasty.

Pic over on the here's what i had for dinner thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Crackers or breadcrumbs make the burger softer (less meaty) and juicier because they hold onto the juices that normally run off.

A little bit of garlic salt sprinkled on the burger while it's cooking can be nice.

I have to try those Aldi Brioche Buns. I've seen them mentioned so many times on the cooking forum. They must be good! :)

Oh, and +1 for putting a thumb indent in the middle of the burger when cooking to stop it rising up in the middle.

Advertisement