Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burgers - Home Made or Ready Made

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Angus burgers in Aldi or M and S are the business.

I have to say I am a fan of putting a bit of whatever cheese is knocking around in the middle before bbqing. Just put my clean finger in the middle, press down, insert cheese of choice, cover it up, and voila. Surprise!

Brioche buns all the way too.

That roasted red pepper relish from Aldi together with a bit of mayo makes a great dressing too. Along with the onions of course. Which I grate and put in the micro (aaagh) with some real butter to soften first. No pan to clean. Oh the joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Along with the onions of course. Which I grate and put in the micro (aaagh) with some real butter to soften first. No pan to clean. Oh the joys.

Ooh that's very clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

That's a great idea about the onions.... could also use this for other dishes....

Every time I go to my local Aldi the Aberdeen Angus burgers are sold out (sob sob...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭il gatto

I just use mince, onion salt, pepper and a half teaspoonful of brown sugar. Don't see the need for breadcrumbs, egg etc. even though I take what was said above about keeping the juices in. I don't like onion in the burger as it's practically raw when the burger is cooked. I also don't like raw onion as a topping. Fried is much nicer (to me anyway).
    My "secret" ingredient is Lingham's chilli sauce. A smear on the burger before the cheese is put on. Gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

il gatto wrote: »
    I just use mince, onion salt, pepper and a half teaspoonful of brown sugar. Don't see the need for breadcrumbs, egg etc. even though I take what was said above about keeping the juices in. I don't like onion in the burger as it's practically raw when the burger is cooked. I also don't like raw onion as a topping. Fried is much nicer (to me anyway).
    My "secret" ingredient is Lingham's chilli sauce. A smear on the burger before the cheese is put on. Gorgeous.

If I was putting onion into a burger I'd fry it off first to soften it. That's what I do when making stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Breadcrumbs and soak in a tiny bit of milk... Makes a really succulent burger.

I am surprised about the brown sugar in the burger, that's interesting for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

il gatto wrote: »

This is exactly how my sister eats her burger. The mighty Lingham sauce. I haven't had it for awhile now.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If I was putting onion into a burger I'd fry it off first to soften it. That's what I do when making stuffing.

I actually never considered that. Doh!

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I am surprised about the brown sugar in the burger, that's interesting for sure.

I suppose many barbecue sauces and marinades tend to be sweet. Tiny bit of sweetness is nice. Don't overdo it though.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This is exactly how my sister eats her burger. The mighty Lingham sauce. I haven't had it for awhile now.

It's my favourite chilli sauce. Not very hot but still has the flavour. And it tastes very "fresh" to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I've added sweetness with brown sauce before, the vinegar seems to dissapate.
    I tend to add salt to my burgers in the shape of soy sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mozies

Homemade all the way!
    I make mine using
    Lean mince, Swartz Italian seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and finely chopped scallions- sometimes I put a babybel in the middle.

Where do you buy the Linghams sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I always get them in Asian shop. Then my local Tesco and (then) Superquinn stocked them, but I haven't seen since, unless it's in Tesco Extra (Maynooth). But Asian shops definitely.

Fantastic dip they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Home made all the way. I tend to go for mince with about 12% fat. I find the higher fat mince results in burgers completely dripping in grease. I tend to oven cook mine. Season with aromasat, dried onion, and steak seasoning by Schwarzkopf.

It's hard to find. If I see it I buy a few bottles, just in case.

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, usually I see about 18% fat recommended. The cheaper ones can be about 26%. I have mixed butter into leaner meat.

Rubadub I normally use 5% mince what's the difference between that and the higher fat content mince? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

mozies wrote: »
    Rubadub I normally use 5% mince what's the difference between that and the higher fat content mince? Thanks :)

Fat = flavour, higher fat content also = moisture and juiciness, I'd always use a min 10% fat when making burgers, 5% for me would be too dry.

Dont squish down burgers when cooking as all that happens is the juice gets squeezed out.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Fat = flavour, higher fat content also = moisture and juiciness, I'd always use a min 10% fat when making burgers, 5% for me would be too dry.

Dont squish down burgers when cooking as all that happens is the juice gets squeezed out.

Thanks for that I just wondered!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

_Brian wrote: »
    If you have the time maki your own is great.
    However if you know of a good craft style butcher they usually make fantastic handmade burgers there in the shop.
    How long do you think it takes to make a burger? About thirty seconds...

I make my burgers with 500g of mince, a good handful or two of breadcrumbs (Panko give a nice firm texture and I usually have some in the freezer), grated onion - much easier than chopping it into tiny dice, salt & black pepper and an egg to bind. I have a little burger press and it makes the job of shaping them a lot easier.
    I either serve them in gravy with lots of sautéed onions or in brioche buns, which Dunnes also sell now :)

I use caramelised onions for the same reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

katydid wrote: »
    How long do you think it takes to make a burger? About thirty seconds...
    It probably takes closer to fifteen, between making the burgers, sorting out what to do with leftover meat, and getting the mince out from under your fingernails. (then you have to cook them)
    I've a good butcher at a farmer's market that makes great burgers, so I pick them up half the time, and makemy own the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

I divide a 500g pack of mince into four, make into balls and flatten each ball with the bottom of a lunch plate (press quite hard). Salt, pepper and a rub of oil, and cook in a really hot pan two minutes each side. Cheese on top with 30 seconds to go, put a splash of water into the pan and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.

The surface of the burger will be nice and caramelised, the middle will be cooked through but juicy.

Tree wrote: »
    It probably takes closer to fifteen, between making the burgers, sorting out what to do with leftover meat, and getting the mince out from under your fingernails. (then you have to cook them)
    I've a good butcher at a farmer's market that makes great burgers, so I pick them up half the time, and makemy own the other half.

Leftover meat? What's that? Just freeze the burgers you don't want.

Seriously though, it literally takes less than a minute. Salt, pepper, a few herbs, roll in balls, flatten, cook.. Bish bosh, as Jamie says

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Leftover meat? What's that? Just freeze the burgers you don't want.

Seriously though, it literally takes less than a minute. Salt, pepper, a few herbs, roll in balls, flatten, cook.. Bish bosh, as Jamie says

See that's your problem. You're buying into Jamie (this 12 course meal will only take 15 mins to prep and cook) Oliver's propaganda.
    Of course it'll only take 15mins Jamie, but we all don't have an unlimited supply of clean up minions to sort out the mess once you're done. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I use caramelised onions for the same reason.

Ah you definitely can't do this in thirty seconds!

Not a burger fan, but I had delicious ones from supervalu done on the barbecue over the weekend, really good!

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Ah you definitely can't do this in thirty seconds!

Not a burger fan, but I had delicious ones from supervalu done on the barbecue over the weekend, really good!
    You can if you make jars of caramelised onions beforehand...

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    See that's your problem. You're buying into Jamie (this 12 course meal will only take 15 mins to prep and cook) Oliver's propaganda.
    Of course it'll only take 15mins Jamie, but we all don't have an unlimited supply of clean up minions to sort out the mess once you're done. ;)

Squirt of washing up liquid in bowl, rinse, on drainer. Bish bosh..

Advertisement