Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raised beds

Options
  • 28-06-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

i use ridges/raised beds in my garden and am thinking of boarding up the sides so that they will be easier to maintain (i have arthritis) but i dont want to use timber because it would have to be done again in a few years any ideas on a cheap way to do it
    was thinking about roof sheeting and cutting it into strips and it should last a long time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kali291

Have you considered concrete blocks? They are cheap, and if you use the ones with holes in them, you can fill the holes with soil and grow companion plants in them. I did this with great success for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 johnd123

i did consider blocks but was afraid they would tilt ass over the place but cavity blocks would be more stable even if more expensive

forgive the miss type

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

With arthritis an issue, you might consider raising the beds considerably- I have seen raised beds using corrugated sheets of galvanised on their sides. These were securely fixed using a treated wood frame and went to the full width (height) of the sheets. You wouldn't have to backfill it totally with topsoil, you could use subsoil to build it up and then finish the top 18" with topsoil. A lot of effort initially, but you will certainly be doing a lot less bending afterwards!

worth a thought thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement