Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslim group outside the Cineplex.

Options
  • 28-06-2015 11:11am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with this crowd who are outside the former Cineplex site every saturday and who they're connected with?I'm all for people being free to practise their own religious beliefs but I get a sense that this bunch are shoving it down peoples throats.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No worse than those guys who stand outside the old Modern belting on about Jesus.
    Personally I think they should all sod off.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Sonics2k wrote: »
    No worse than those guys who stand outside the old Modern belting on about Jesus.
    Personally I think they should all sod off.

Well we know where we stand with that crowd,and the pesky Mormons annoying you when youre out and about.The issue with the muslim group is if they have connections with extremists.I don't ever see them condemming the likes of Isis or Islamic extremism.They also had a banner yesterday that said something like "One Billion people are not eating or drinking today" or something similar.I found it a bit distastful that on the same day you have islamic extremists slaughtering people in Tunisia for daring to enjoy themselves on the beach and all this crowd are concerned with is narrow orthodox rituals that mean nothing to the vast majority of people passing them on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never found them in your face at all. I've passed them many times and never been approached.
    There is nearly always a group of Jahova's Witnesses just down from them. Don't they bother you at all?
    Regularly Catholics with banners and statues in Daunt's Square. Pretty hard to miss them.

As long as they all leave me and government alone I've no more of a problem with one group over another but like another poster, I'd prefer if none of them were around.

I find it odd that the OP singles out the Muslims.
    In your face how?

Well we know where we stand with that crowd,and the pesky Mormons annoying you when youre out and about.The issue with the muslim group is if they have connections with extremists.I don't ever see them condemming the likes of Isis or Islamic extremism.They also had a banner yesterday that said something like "One Billion people are not eating or drinking today" or something similar.I found it a bit distastful that on the same day you have islamic extremists slaughtering people in Tunisia for daring to enjoy themselves on the beach and all this crowd are concerned with is narrow orthodox rituals that mean nothing to the vast majority of people passing them on the street.

So all practising Muslims are extremists connected to terrorism and fundamentalism?

Are all Christians responsible for the acts of Christian extremists.

The KKK are a Christian organisation.
    Should my Christian mother feel responsible for their actions?

OP, have you engaged with them and asked if they support extremism?
    If not, how would you know whether they condemn such actions or not?

• Advertisement

I've never found them in your face at all. I've passed them many times and never been approached.
    There is nearly always a group of Jahova's Witnesses just down from them. Don't they bother you at all?
    Regularly Catholics with banners and statues in Daunt's Square. Pretty hard to miss them.

As long as they all leave me and government alone I've no more of a problem with one group over another but like another poster, I'd prefer if none of them were around.

I find it odd that the OP singles out the Muslims.
    In your face how?

All religious fundamentalists bother me.The catholic group with the statues are ridiculious but face it,in about ten years or so most of them will be dead and I don't see them trying to recruit people.Jehovas witnesses bother me a great deal,especially when they come knocking on the door.The issue I have with the musulim groups is we've seen in other European countries muslim groups demand things such as sharia law,special treatment over other groups and "muslim patrols" in areas with high muslim numbers and no attempt to integrate into wider society,this group outside the cineplex I see as part of a wider trend.

So all practising Muslims are extremists connected to terrorism and fundamentalism?

Are all Christians responsible for the acts of Christian extremists.

The KKK are a Christian organisation.
    Should my Christian mother feel responsible for their actions?

Have you seen the KKK handing out leaflets localy recently?They are for the most part consigned to the Southern United States,they have support among a minority of white supremacists in Europe including probably a handful here but I don't see a mass movement of recruits to their cause in the way that we've seen with Isis.

But OP, you are making the assumption that because these people are Muslim, that they must be supporters of extremism and terrorism.

I want to see less religion in our society, not more but attitudes like yours marginalises groups and encourages fundamentalism.

Our laws no longer really reflect Ireland's Catholic past. WTF would we start adopting Muslim laws?

Have you seen the KKK handing out leaflets localy recently?They are for the most part consigned to the Southern United States,they have support among a minority of white supremacists in Europe including probably a handful here but I don't see a mass movement of recruits to their cause in the way that we've seen with Isis.

You've seen Isis recruiting in Cork?
    I hope you went straight to the Guards!

Wait.

You have an issue with them practicing their religion on the day a terrorist attack happened?

That's.. That's.. Ludicrous! They are free to practice their religion whenever they want, wherever they want. Regardless of whatever else happens in the world.

Take that church shooting, which was a white on black killing. Should I feel ashamed and reject people because I share the same skin colour? Because I have the same skin colour of KKK members, does that mean I have an association with them?

You're essentially saying the exact same as these Muslim people. They share the same religion, that's all.

Tell me, OP, are you also the kind of person that feels uneasy whenever a Muslim looking person boards the same plane as you?

• Advertisement

Look, I don't want to see Islam taking hold in our society any more than i want to see the Catholic church regain its influence.

But to look at a Muslim and see a terrorist or even assume their support for terrorist acts is prejudiced and racist.

The unofficial mosque on Shandon St has had some interesting guests.

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/105408.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Rabble rabble rabble

Look, I don't want to see Islam taking hold in our society any more than i want to see the Catholic church regain it's influence.

But to look at a Muslim and see a terrorist or even assume their support for terrorist acts is prejudiced and racist.

Since when were Muslims a race?Theyre no more an ethnic group than Methodists or Hare Krishnas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Since when were Muslims a race?Theyre no more an ethnic group than Methodists or Hare Chrisnas.

I agree. Not a race at all.

Since when were Muslims a race?Theyre no more an ethnic group than Methodists or Hare Krishnas.

Fair enough.
    Not racist.
    Prejudiced and zenophobic and ignorant.

Wait.

You have an issue with them practicing their religion on the day a terrorist attack happened?

That's.. That's.. Ludicrous! They are free to practice their religion whenever they want, wherever they want. Regardless of whatever else happens in the world.

Take that church shooting, which was a white on black killing. Should I feel ashamed and reject people because I share the same skin colour? Because I have the same skin colour of KKK members, does that mean I have an association with them?

You're essentially saying the exact same as these Muslim people. They share the same religion, that's all.

Tell me, OP, are you also the kind of person that feels uneasy whenever a Muslim looking person boards the same plane as you?

They can practise their religion all they want.However if I were to go to most majority muslim nations and stand on a street handing out leaflets espousing secularism or any kind of ideology that went counter to muslim beliefs I'd say I wouldn't last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What a load of absolute crap.
    Muslim =/= terrorist.

You may as well try claiming that being Catholic in Northern Ireland = IRA supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Serious question - Why are they even here?
    Ireland should have a policy that only allows Christians who are being persecuted in Africa and Middle East into this country.
    Protect our own.
    Muslims are a dangerous breed and i believe the rise of Muslim extremism across Europe draws parallels with the rise of the Right in 1920s Europe.

Thankfully their numbers here are small, lets keep that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Ireland should have a policy that only allows Christians who are being persecuted in Africa and Middle East into this country.
    Protect our own.
    Muslims are a dangerous breed and i believe the rise of Muslim extremism across Europe draws parallels with the rise of the Right in 1920s Europe.

Thankfully their numbers here are small, lets keep that way.

Nice to know Im welcome in my own country as a non Christian

• Advertisement

Nice to know Im welcome in my own country as a non Christian

are u a muslim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

are u a muslim?

Nope, there's more than Muslims and Christians in this world.

You do know that there's nothing stopping an Irish person becoming a Muslim though right?

Protect our own.

Are you serious?
    What do you mean, protect our own?

Like it or not, Ireland is not a Christian country.
    I am Irish. I am not Christian. Most of my friends are not Christian
    I have no more affinity with foreign Christians than i have with foreign Muslims.
    How do you know where these people are from?
    Maybe they are Irish. Maybe EU citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

They can practise their religion all they want.However if I were to go to most majority muslim nations and stand on a street handing out leaflets espousing secularism or any kind of ideology that went counter to muslim beliefs I'd say I wouldn't last too long.

and? If we start judging people on their religion and limiting their right to expression here in Ireland, then we would be no better than Saudi or Iran etc.

your point has nothing to do with the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I'm guessing the irony of using dehumanising language and then going on to use that analogy is completely lost on you.

Are you serious?
    What do you mean, protect our own?

Like it or not, Ireland is not a Christian country.
    I am Irish. I am not Christian. Most of my friends are not Christian
    I have no more affinity with foreign Christians than i have with foreign Muslims.
    How do you know where these people are from?
    Maybe they are Irish. Maybe EU citizens.

All refugees we accept should be Christians who are being persecuted by Muslims.
    You can like it or not, Ireland is still a Christian country.

Nope, there's more than Muslims and Christians in this world.

You do know that there's nothing stopping an Irish person becoming a Muslim though right?

But what did you mean by nice to be accepted in my own country statement.
    What did that mean, What does it have to do with Muslims and Christians when you are neither.

Any adult that switches between any 2 religions, they are the ones to never be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Ireland is a post enlightenment, liberal democracy in most areas of life.

The issue I have is any religious group trying to run the state or operate their own legal systems. So far, the only groups to have attempted that have been Christian. Magdalene laundries etc being an example of a parallel religious judicial and prison system having been in operation.

We need solid separation of church and state though and a proper secular setup.

Lack of secular public schools is just going to cause ghettoisation and fragmentation as the country becomes more diverse.

It also provides space for extremist views to be merged into education.

That's not down to anything other than the Catholic church's stranglehold on education and the total lack of a public school system which will inevitably cause calls for more religious schools.

We've an urgent need for a real public school system.

People gathering in the street as part of a religious festival is entirely up to them. You've a constitutional right to publicly practice your religion. It's a non issue.

All refugees we accept should be Christians who are being persecuted by Muslims.
    You can like it or not, Ireland is still a Christian country.

what about Christians being persecuted by Buddhists in Myanmar? Or Christians being persecuted by Israelis in Palestine?

• Advertisement

Any adult that switches between any 2 religions, they are the ones to never be trusted.

what, like Jesus and his apostles?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement