Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd are interested in Seamus Coleman

• 28-06-2015 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Would be great to see an Irish international play for one of the biggest clubs again. Do Sligo have a sell on fee? :)
    Manchester United are interested in signing defender Seamus Coleman from Everton, according to Sky sources.

United have not made a bid for the Republic of Ireland star as yet, but Louis van Gaal is keen on signing a player who has been one of the most consistent performers in the Premier League in recent years.

Van Gaal wants to bolster his back-four options but at the same time, he wants his full-backs to offer quality going forwards too - and Coleman fits the profile.

He has scored 10 Premier League goals in 133 games for Everton, who paid Sligo Rovers just £60,000 for the 26-year-old in 2009.

Meanwhile United are continuing their pursuit of Southampton central midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, and Sky sources understand talks are ongoing.

Comments

Sky sources understands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would probably cost about 20-25m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Hasn't been as good the past season as the season before. At his best he'd be a good signing but not at the likely fee. If 20 million or so is the price i think there'd be better targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No need for a whole thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Coleman is decent going forward, defensively he's suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This is about the 3rd summer in a row of this rumour...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unfortunately he's just a right back. A good right back who could potentially be a great right back but a mere fullback nonetheless. He's not going to solve many of the current Irish squad issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

How many times have people watched him for Everton. He's been good this season although not as great as the season before, still better than Valencia. Not much between him and Raf but Raf can't stay fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Think a move to united would be perfect for him. Thinks he needs a change of club. Always need an Irish player in your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

it would be great having an Irish player playing for a top club but I doubt it's true. Why wouldn't united just go for someone like Clyne who is of similar ability but would cost half the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Gunna drop the grenade.

Clyne is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sligo sold the sell on fee to Everton for 15k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

rob316 wrote: »
    Gunna drop the grenade.

Clyne is better.

I wondered how long it would take for a pool fan to pop up with that. Ye lasted longer than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sligo sold the sell on fee to Everton for 15k.
    There never was one. He was almost out of contract and it was the only offer on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

rob316 wrote: »
    Gunna drop the grenade.

Clyne is better.

jesus christ, why bother with this comment?

There are lots of better right backs, I dont think anyone has disputed that and you know this isnt the point of the thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

jesus christ, why bother with this comment?

There are lots of better right backs, I dont think anyone has disputed that and you know this isnt the point of the thread...

Is a thread really a thread without an argument between the less intelligent sections of the Man United/Liverpool Irish fan base though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CSF wrote: »
    Is a thread really a thread without an argument between the less intelligent sections of the Man United/Liverpool Irish fan base though?

If a post ever summed up the mentality of the average "irish" football supporter this is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

doncarlos wrote: »
    If a post ever summed up the mentality of the average "irish" football supporter this is it

Why is Irish in quotation marks :confused:

Do you question the existence of Ireland?
    Godot. wrote: »
    Do Sligo have a sell on fee?

Things are bad enough without you reminding us of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

MD1990 wrote: »
    Would probably cost about 20-25m.

If United pay 25 million for Coleman they are mad. Not a huge improvement on valencia or Rafael. Money that could be spent elsewhere to improve the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oat23 wrote: »

Do you question the existence of Ireland

I guess he's questioning their irishnessypoo as they support\follow\admire clubs from the BPL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Has any full back ever gone for over £20 million, let alone an Irish one

Would be a bit mad tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Has any full back ever gone for over £20 million, let alone an Irish one

Would be a bit mad tbh
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRe-_2TdzrkyWQFdiFYVnuIBn-v9EVCyhe7unpKin4a8z1_JlV3QQ2cVE4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tastyt wrote: »
    If United pay 25 million for Coleman they are mad. Not a huge improvement on valencia or Rafael. Money that could be spent elsewhere to improve the team.

Hes much better than valencia offensively and hes better than rafael defensively. Frankly its an upgrade whichever way you look at it. The fact that Rafael isnt making the team even when fit should tell its own story. He's not rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Everton won't want to sell so it's down to the player really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

He wasn't great last season though and really stagnated, a new challenge could give him a new lease if life but anything over 12-14 million isnt great value as it is gamble that he ever hits the height of his performances from 2 seasons ago again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

redzerdrog wrote: »
    He wasn't great last season though and really stagnated

I'd tend to give players a pass for a year when it's a team-wide issue. Everton as a whole really stagnated last season. It's an interesting season ahead for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

"Luap wrote: »
    Always need an Irish player in your team.

Yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I miss there being a bit of Green at United, would do him a world of good to play in the Champions League too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's mad money for him tbh.

Watching him fail with 100% of his crosses in his last Irish game was infuriating.

I think if Everton got offered half of that they should snap their arms off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It would be a great move for the player. Whether he would flourish or falter under the increased pressure, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bet Sligo are wishing they didn't give their sell on clause away.

Bet Sligo are wishing they didn't give their sell on clause away.

We never had a sell on clause.

Independent are going with €20 million bid on the way

Wouldn't be put off by that fee it's about right considering Clyne went for 12 million and Coleman is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wouldn't be put off by that fee it's about right considering Clyne went for 12 million and Coleman is better

I wouldnt say he's better. I think Clyne is more solid defensively but coleman is more dangerous going forward. It's a balance. I'd be happy with either tbh.

After the first attempt by a pool fan didnt work a United fan steps up to the plate to try and fire this ****e up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

After the first attempt by a pool fan didnt work a United fan steps up to the plate to try and fire this ****e up.

Usually the same people every time too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

NIMAN wrote: »
    That's mad money for him tbh.

Watching him fail with 100% of his crosses in his last Irish game was infuriating.

I think if Everton got offered half of that they should snap their arms off.

Many people are basing their overall opinion of Coleman on that last game. And it still wasn't as bad as people made out. He was getting no help from the players in the box for some of the crossing situations he found himself in.

CSF wrote: »
    Usually the same people every time too.

I actually support United but the constant attempts at one-upping each other is so cringey. Its like toddlers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Train.

Wreck.

Kirby wrote: »
    I wouldnt say he's better. I think Clyne is more solid defensively but coleman is more dangerous going forward. It's a balance. I'd be happy with either tbh.

You'd think Van Gaal would be signing the cheaper English player then if there was nothing in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Still laughing at the bloke who said Clyne was better. Coleman performed well last season considering the team was absolutely brutal. Season before that he was unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We never had a sell on clause.

Yep looks like it was Kevin Doyle I was thinking of. Cork sold their 10% clause back to Reading before he was sols to Wolves. Was full sure it was Coleman.

Yep looks like it was Kevin Doyle I was thinking of. Cork sold their 10% clause back to Reading before he was sols to Wolves. Was full sure it was Coleman.

You just know, given the situation we find ourselves in currently (cash strapped with compo owed to Heary and falling gates) that there are going to be some of our fans outraged that Everton/Coleman are not giving us any money as a 'thank you' :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Coleman is suspect when it comes to defending at PL level, so he would struggle at CL level, in my opinion. It would be a bad move for him and for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

You'd think Van Gaal would be signing the cheaper English player then if there was nothing in it

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This rumour pops up every summer.

Won't happen...

https://twitter.com/livechoefc/status/615211587641679872

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

He was 1/4 or something to sign for United in January, I got a nice 7/4 on him to stay. He's still currently 4/7 to stay at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Do you question the existence of Ireland?

Trilla wrote: »
    I guess he's questioning their irishnessypoo as they support\follow\admire clubs from the BPL

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This.
    Ah I get it. You're "Irish" too because you're speaking in that devilish foreign English tongue. Gotcha.

This.

The insecurities of LOI fans is almost as much of a classic as the Pool vs. United debates. Oh there is so much maturity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement