Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance - Building fire reg & door autoclosers

• 28-06-2015 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to insure a property completed in 2015. As per current building regs, because we went into the attic level we have fire doors in all rooms which are all fitted with auto closers - this includes the bathrooms, cloakroom etc!

I know the reason for these - a fire door is useless if the door is left open, but they are a pain. In order for them not to slam shut there needs to be enough tension on the spring which make them difficult to open. I tried various door stops including a 5kg one with rubber base but the only thing that works are rubber door wedges which need to be replaced every so often as the force of the door flattens them. I have a small child and not only is it difficult moving around the house but once she starts moving around it will be dangerous.

I am thinking of taking them off, and will ensure that downstairs doors are closed at night - which doesn't happen at the moment as i cannot be bothered to remove the wedges.

My questions is - will my house insurance be invalidated in the event of fire. I have read a few policy documents from different providers and there is no specific mention of non-compliance with building regs or not having fire doors closed.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Simple answer. No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Speak to insurers directly when looking for cover, once disclosed, if they have any issues with this they can tell you upfront. If not, you can do what you wish to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

peteb2 wrote: »
    Simple answer. No.

No as in it won't matter, or no as in I need to put the damn things back?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No it wont matter.

Advertisement