Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potato seeds

Options
  • 28-06-2015 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried growing the seeds from the tomatoelike fruits that grow on them. I have a few grown in pots and am unsure what to do with them now. The blog i read on it was American and the climate is different. I'm not sure it is the same

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

These are called true seed and say if you grow from these you could possibly end up with a variety completely different to the one your growing... Any small tubers ya have left over can do for seed next year... Btw these true seed are highly poisonous so don't be fooled by there tomato like properties the potato and tomato are both from the same families...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

So do you think to put them straight into garden when they are big enough or into cold frame.
    DANNY2014 wrote: »
    These are called true seed and say if you grow from these you could possibly end up with a variety completely different to the one your growing... Any small tubers ya have left over can do for seed next year... Btw these true seed are highly poisonous so don't be fooled by there tomato like properties the potato and tomato are both from the same families...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Ha ha. No they are potatoes.
    Cedrus wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Usually I just discard of them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

People dont usually bother, for a few reasons:

It's harder work than just sticking a potato in the ground.
    The potatoes which grow from the plant in the first year will be tiny.
    Rather than the normal cloning process of replanting potatoes, you're actually creating a new variety of potato plant so you don't really know what you're growing (probably not too exotic though if the parents are the same clone).

http://daughterofthesoil.blogspot.ie/2010/04/sowing-potatoes-from-tps.html

There's also the possibility that a new genetic variety of potato can have higher levels of solanine, and be more toxic than you'd like.
    http://boingboing.net/2013/03/25/the-case-of-the-poison-potato.html

Advertisement