Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Exam Problem Query

Options
  • 28-06-2015 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

So im doing a masters, Ive been getting a 2.1 gpa so far. In my 3rd semester now. I recently had of my 3rd semester modules final exam. One out of 3 modules. The exam was worth 70%
    The lecturer gave out the qs on what he would and would not be asking. There was one topic he said he would not be asking. So I didn’t study for it. Anyway the day came and there was a Q for that topic but the question read so similar to a very similar topic that I stupidly brushed over the q and answered on what I thought he was asking. My fault I know.
    Anyway I answered the question wrong. I gave fully correct factual information but just not what the the topic was asking. It was one of two questions.
    SO…. Basically now I am afraid that I have completely failed one half of the exam so essentially 35% of that module. Thus leaving me very open to failing the module and thus destroying my GPA and preventing me from getting my 2.1
    I am sick with worry, I am aware it is my fault but what I am asking is.. Has anyone heard of or encountered this situation before? Is there any alternative? I explained the situation to the lecturer in a mail straight after I realised after the exam on Friday but am waiting to hear back.
    Is there anyway the exam could be compensated with some supplementary assignment work or something similar?
    If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it greatly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Usually you can resit exams, but will get 40% for that module regarding calculating your overall grade. So if you get 50% the second time you sit the exam, 40% is the actual number used to calculate your final result.

Since this is only one module out of what, six? It shouldn't affect your average by much if you do well in the other subjects. You can also complain to the students union about this, and might get some traction on the issue if enough students in your course were affected by this as well. I'd use it as a last resort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connollysquare

Ok great, thanks for that. Its actually one of 9 as its a masters. The odds are with me i suppose, i'd just hate to see my gpa decimated. That's life i suppose.
    Lesson learned to read the exam question ten times over i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I meant it moreso on a semester basis, but forgot that masters tended to be a bit weird with module credit-weighting.

In your case, I'd check to see how many credits the module is worth. If it turns out that it was only a five-credit module, where others are 5, 7.5, or 10, then I wouldn't worry about this at all. If it is just five credits, then it'll have a much lower impact on your overall grade than you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Connollysquare

Just checked, it's worth 10. Strange, it was a whole module thaught in two weeks with a 70% exam. Doesn't seem right.

Advertisement