Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic lights at Ivans/Caherdavin Cross

• 28-06-2015 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who notices this happening? At the Ivans traffic lights facing towards Coonagh, you can turn right to head up towards LIT. There is a traffic light protecting this turn so you must wait for it to turn green and not proceed when it is red.

A huge number of drivers seem to think it's a filter light like at other junctions and decide to drive into the middle of the junction into a red light, or worse when the light turns green for straight ahead/left, they take off at speed and almost have a crash into cars coming the opposite direction as they assume they can then turn right.

Would it be worth raising this with the council/gardai/willie o'dea? If you ask me it's damn dangerous and a matter of time before there's a bad accident.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seems like a busybody approach to be contacting anybody about this, just rant away on boards.
    How is it different (what they are doing, I understand the law is being broken) from any other light where people turn right when they get an opportunity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

People are the problem here. The lights are good in my opinion. People are impatient, red is red. If they can't wait then the council aren't going to be able to change anything.

I think the frequency and sensors on that junction are some of the best in the city.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm with Berty on this one, but I do agree with the OP's complaint. There are some awful drivers on the roads.

That's the first major traffic light junction on the road for anyone coming down the N18/M18 (Greenhills is a bit more straightforward, but has its own problems too) so a lot of people passing through might not be familiar with it either.

I think they got the sequencing spot on. If only the Jetland flowed so well with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think the OP is referring to approaching from the other direction where you're queuing to turn right up towards LIT.

When you approach from the Ennis side the filter comes on first and is controlled by sensors so it only stays green so long as cars are there to turn.

The other way you've to wait for the limerick bound to go red before getting a filter and folks just won't wait sometimes or creep out in the box. I wait and I've been beeped for waiting at a red light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Coming in Clare St at the lights near the Absolute Hotel, I regularly see cars turning right over the bridge even though the lights sequence is only for going straight through towards the city.

I think some drivers see a vehicle near them move off and think oh I can go too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

....as for the amount of people who regularly break the red light to turn right at Raheen Cross (the original Raheen Cross, beyond the Hospital.

The new system at Punch's cross is great craic too. Both right-turn filter lights come on 1st and after they have chaged to amber the straight ahead green comes on....the amount of 'straight ahead' people that tear off just because the car beside them is moving off (regardless of what the actual lights tell them) is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    ....as for the amount of people who regularly break the red light to turn right at Raheen Cross (the original Raheen Cross, beyond the Hospital.

The new system at Punch's cross is great craic too. Both right-turn filter lights come on 1st and after they have chaged to amber the straight ahead green comes on....the amount of 'straight ahead' people that tear off just because the car beside them is moving off (regardless of what the actual lights tell them) is huge.

Because of where I live I find myself making that right turn at Punches from in front of the Peony court. That happens so often that people going straight ahead take off. I love giving them the horn so much that I hope they go for it every time:p

Advertisement