Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elderly Landlady Ill in hospital

Options
  • 28-06-2015 2:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, my landaldy who is in her 90's has recently fallen ill and is in hospital. I live in an old house split up into flats, which use electricity cards for electricity and use of the shared washing machine and dryer which we buy from her. More importantly, my lease is up in august and I need to be giving my notice not to renew my lease and move out soon, but there is no contact between her and myself or the other tenants. i called the letting agent who was responsible for aranging the tenancy in the first place, he told me he was busy and could he call me back, and never did. I went on to try calling him about 20 times over the course of the past week with him not answering, and called around to his office with no response either. I'm thinking of just cancelling my direct debit for this months rent and walking at this stage, any advice?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Instead if ringing and him saying he's busy, just write your notice down on paper and hand it to him / post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I would say a registered letter stating clearly you ending your lease should suffice. Cancel D.D. and move out. Deal with any fallout if she comes out of hospital, which I reckon would be minimal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

_oveless_ wrote: »
    Hi, my landaldy who is in her 90's has recently fallen ill and is in hospital. I live in an old house split up into flats, which use electricity cards for electricity and use of the shared washing machine and dryer which we buy from her. More importantly, my lease is up in august and I need to be giving my notice not to renew my lease and move out soon, but there is no contact between her and myself or the other tenants. i called the letting agent who was responsible for aranging the tenancy in the first place, he told me he was busy and could he call me back, and never did. I went on to try calling him about 20 times over the course of the past week with him not answering, and called around to his office with no response either. I'm thinking of just cancelling my direct debit for this months rent and walking at this stage, any advice?

Make sure you are giving the correct notice: http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/ending-your-tenancy/ in writing - I would send it to the landlord and copy the agent.

Advertisement