Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxious & feel like a lunatic

Options
  • 28-06-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Miscarried before christmas so hence my anxiety.

Found out last week I was pregnant again. I tested the day my period was due (and again the morning after) and got pregnant 1-2 weeks on clear blue test. Headed to the doctor the day after period due and his test was negative. Totally unsettled me. I suppose I was hoping he'd reassure me. I've to go back this week with first urine of the day and he will test again.

In the meantime, I've been driving myself demented. Every twinge and trickle I feel has me running to the loo checking to see if my period has started. Have even had dreams where I wipe and see blood. (Nut case I know!) So today, in my infinite wisdom & hoping to reassure myself again, I did another test. It still says 1-2 weeks on it. It wasn't first wee of the day but still thought I would have gone up to 2-3 weeks as I'm 5wks 3days going by last period. Cue another round of panic. Has anyone else had the indicator stay on 1-2weeks? Really trying to be positive this time round but finding it extremely difficult after what happened last time.

Has anyone else felt like a lunatic? I know I'm my own worst enemy but so hard not to be. Doctor and test hasn't helped the situation i suppose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

With most tests, it doesn't matter all that much what time of the day you test at once you're past the four-week mark.

However with the CB ones that tell you how far you're gone, it DOES matter, you need to use first morning pee for this to get an accurate (ish) estimate of how far you're gone.

Home pregnancy tests generally tend to be more sensitive than the ones you get done at the GPs. So don't be worried about his one being negative. My test at the GP was negative when my period was a few days late and I'd gotten a positive test at home that same day - I've now got a healthy happy 18 month old to show for it! Despite the negative test.

Best thing to do is go to your GP (or a new GP, if you're not satisfied with your own) and request a blood HCG test. This should be repeated in 48 hours and the levels should have doubled at least (ideally they double within 24 hours, however this isn't always the case.) You should usually have results the same day or the following day, so if you go to your GP tomorrow and again on Wednesday, you should have a fair idea by the end of the week of whether the pregnancy appears to be progressing successfully.

Best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Panic Much

Thanks for the speedy response. I have an appointment for later this week so I'll see how I get on then and I'll request a blood test also. My cycle can be slightly longer (about 32 days) so maybe that has something to do with the weeks indicator not increasing also? Maybe i'm a few days behind what I think? (clutching at any straw i can find)

Don't seem to really have any strong symptoms. Boobs slightly tender but dunno if thats just from me checking them all the time haha. Didn't have very strong symptoms last time either, just tender boobs and felt a bit naseous every now and again. That all stopped which led me to believe something was wrong. Missed miscarriage was confirmed a few days later. I kinda feel like I should feel really ill and pukey. At least this would reassure me that pregnancy was strong. I really have to stop over analysing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I think the weeks indicator can be slow to move to the 3+ weeks, I know several friends that have complained this and had perfectly normal pregnancies

I think the weeks indicator can be slow to move to the 3+ weeks, I know several friends that have complained this and had perfectly normal pregnancies

It's still on 1-2 weeks so honestly I'd be happy to see it go to 2-3 in the next few days.

Panic Much wrote: »
    It's still on 1-2 weeks so honestly I'd be happy to see it go to 2-3 in the next few days.

If you have another test try it first thing in the morning.

I went to the doctor at 6wks and it took ages for his test to show and even then it was a faint line. I was very much pregnant as I was being sick at that stage. He said the test he uses isn't very sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

The HSE tests that the GPs have are rubbish. My doctor told me that even the home ones are better.
    Please don't be worrying op. I am 33 weeks pregnant and never had any symptoms (except for missed period) - didn't feel any different.

Did another test this morning and it's gone up to 2-3 weeks. Phew! Calculated how far along I am using an online calulculator where you can adjust for longer cycle length and that puts me and 5wks2days today so that might help explain why it was still on 1-2weeks because I was only 4 weeks last time I tested.

Have the appointment with the doc tomorrow so please God his test will be positive this time

Fingers crossed the next 9 months go by without a hitch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My doctor never uses any pee sticks, I just brought in my own with the result on it. They always told me that mine was more sensitive anyway, and you don't get a false positive on them. I know the panic well myself, I was the same after a MC. Good luck.

I gave birth to my youngest 3 days before the first Anniversary of a miscarriage, so I can understand exactly how you are feeling! Even the dreams of blood are the same as my dreams! You must let those around you know how you are feeling and what your fears are. It is true that a trouble shared is a trouble, if not halved, then lessened. Good Luck!

I gave birth to my youngest 3 days before the first Anniversary of a miscarriage, so I can understand exactly how you are feeling! Even the dreams of blood are the same as my dreams! You must let those around you know how you are feeling and what your fears are. It is true that a trouble shared is a trouble, if not halved, then lessened. Good Luck!

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has these crazy thoughts. I would love to relax and enjoy this but I think it will be very hard until we pass the point I miscarried last time and get to see a heartbeat. I need to be more excited and less terrified but it's extremely difficult in the early weeks.

• Advertisement

Went to the doc this evening and his test was positive (hurrah) but still faint. Made a comment about it should be jumping off the page at this stage. Feck it anyways. Did ye not hear when I said I was very anxious? I asked about doing bloods and he said there's no point, 4 positives at home and now his was enough.

He gave me a letter for Coombe for early scan due to miscarriage in Dec but from their website they say they only do it if you've had 3. He said if they don't provide one that he'd recommended I get a private one done at 8 wks.

Fingers crossed all goes well this time round. We told both sets of parents today as last time they only found out when things had gone wrong. I'm hoping they'll be an extra source of positivity. I know at the very least they'll be extra support regardless.

Please God all will go without a hitch and we'll have a little one at the end of Feb.

Good Luck. x x

What a stupid comment to make. If you are in Dublin and get a private scan there I have a 15e off ultrasound dimensions voucher and a 20e off babyscan.ie that I could post to u

Edit: sorry op I seem to have misplaced the baby scan voucher,still have the ultrasound dimensions one though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Don't worry about what he said about it not jumping off the page (whatever the hell that's even supposed to mean!), I've often heard of people only ever getting weak lines. What was the point in him saying that if he wasn't going to do something to reassure you?

If you're planning on doing combined care, you might want to find a more supportive GP? Given your anxiety, it would have been decent of him to do the two blood tests to make sure the HCG levels are rising as they should be. It's a very good early indication of whether the pregnancy is likely to be viable.

By the way, if you do end up needing to get a private scan done, it may be covered under your health insurance (if you have any.) Mine covers one private scan per pregnancy, I didn't know it at the time though, unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dobbit

I also had a very weak line at 4.5 weeks and 36 weeks today, so don't mind him, some doctors have real foot-in-mouth syndrome.

What a stupid comment to make. If you are in Dublin and get a private scan there I have a 15e off ultrasound dimensions voucher and a 20e off babyscan.ie that I could post to u

Edit: sorry op I seem to have misplaced the baby scan voucher,still have the ultrasound dimensions one though

That's extremely generous. Thank you so much.

Is it normal enough for your symptoms to come and go? I don't have very strong symptoms - breasts slightly tender and get waves of feeling sick that pass after a couple of seconds. Had heartburn the last 2 days. Feeling fine today though. Trying not to panic but lack of symptoms is what alerted me last time. My other half thought I was crazy because I kept insisting I didn't feel pregnant anymore. But I was right... Breasts are still tender but haven't had any waves of nausea so far today.

Hopefully you'll feel a bit more relaxed when u get the early scan. I never felt pregnant at all until I start getting a bump. Even had myself convinced in the early stages that I was having a phantom pregnancy lol. Its such a worrying time but enjoyable too

Thanks. It's great to be able to vent all my neuroses here.

Got to try to stop obsessing over symptoms.

That's the worst thing about finding out so early. The weeks seem to pass so slowly. Wish I could fast forward to 8 weeks and see a heartbeat and know that things are going OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I've had missed miscarriages before and then when I found I was pregnant last year I worried so like you. I over analyised every symptom every day .I panicked evrytime I felt normal. But now I have a healthy 6 month old and just found I'm pregnant again
    this time I'm so much more relaxed defo get an early scan to help put your mind at ease and think about your doctor,he doesn't sound great tbh. Best of luck with everything.

Have cried my eyes out today. No symptoms all day again and can't help but think the worst. What makes it worse, it would have been my due date tmrw if I hadn't miscarried in Dec. I know I'm probably being completely irrational but just can't shift the feeling that it's all over again. Feel so bad for my other half. He must think I've lost the plot. Wish I could fast forward the next few weeks. Please please please let things go ok this time.

• Advertisement

Awh I know it's hard not to be worrying. Especially with your due date coming up its bound to bring up some emotions. How far are you now? It won't be too long until you can have an early scan.

Have cried my eyes out today. No symptoms all day again and can't help but think the worst. What makes it worse, it would have been my due date tmrw if I hadn't miscarried in Dec. I know I'm probably being completely irrational but just can't shift the feeling that it's all over again. Feel so bad for my other half. He must think I've lost the plot. Wish I could fast forward the next few weeks. Please please please let things go ok this time.

It's amazing how similar our situations are! I was just the same! I was pregnant with my son on the due date of his brother. (I never knew the sex, but always thought of him as Alan). It made it worse that he was due on my Birthday, so no chance of me forgetting. My son was 7 years old and I still mourned on Alans due day and the day I lost him. One day in a social gathering, I saw the Gynaecologist who had confirmed that my baby had died. I felt the familiar black cloud come over me. My Husband sat next to me in despair. After a few minutes he said "You know, if we hadn't lost Alan, we wouldn't now have our son". That was the start of me coming to terms with our loss. You have to grieve, so has your Husband. If what I'm saying is too much, tell me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well the tearfulness sounds like pregnancy hormones! I hope you feel more relaxed soon

Awh I know it's hard not to be worrying. Especially with your due date coming up its bound to bring up some emotions. How far are you now? It won't be too long until you can have an early scan.

By my dates I'll be 6 weeks tmrw. So still very early days.

I know some places do the scans at 6 weeks but u might not hear a heartbeat that early so it could worry you more. 2 weeks isn't that far. Make an appointment and give yourself something to look forward to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭Allirog

I bought a twin pack of tesco brand tests, purely because I didn't believe I could be pregnant due to medical issues and I got two very clear positive results. So we bought a twin pack of clear clue and they told us pregnant 2-3 weeks. As a result and due to my medical issues we had a transvaginal scan at 6 weeks. We didn't hear the heartbeat but could see it. It was amazing and reassuring and made it easier waiting for a scan at 12 weeks. I'd definitely suggest getting an early scan. While all you'll see is the sac, it's enough to ease your mind.

Rang local fertility centre to ask about getting bloods done to see if everythings ok. They suggested it might be better to get a scan just to see how everything looks, so have an appointment for Thursday evening.

No symptoms at all still. Boobs feel normal again. Haven't felt nauseous in about 3 days. Absolutely terrified.

Rang local fertility centre to ask about getting bloods done to see if everythings ok. They suggested it might be better to get a scan just to see how everything looks, so have an appointment for Thursday evening.

No symptoms at all still. Boobs feel normal again. Haven't felt nauseous in about 3 days. Absolutely terrified.

Ah great, I'm sure the scan will put your mind at ease. Try not to focus too much in the symptoms, surges of hcg at different stages can make it worse and better other days.

I'm all over the place. Just back from scan. She could see a sac but that was it. Basically said it's inconclusive. It would mean I'm less weeks than I think which doesn't sound right to me. I've to go back in 2 weeks and see if anything has developed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I'm all over the place. Just back from scan. She could see a sac but that was it. Basically said it's inconclusive. It would mean I'm less weeks than I think which doesn't sound right to me. I've to go back in 2 weeks and see if anything has developed.

I had a scan at 6w2d and was unsettled to just see a sac...I was left unsure because I thought I'd see more at that stage. Now I'm 12 weeks and everything's going good.

I also had a miscarriage on my first pregnancy and I know too well how anxious the first pregnancy afterwards can be. Hang in there x

Advertisement