Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outboard motor advice

Options
  • 28-06-2015 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi i'm looking to buy an outboard for my lakeboat and i found a Johnson 9.9 HP for sale! Are these a good engine? Can u get parts for them easily?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sc89 wrote: »
    Hi i'm looking to buy an outboard for my lakeboat and i found a Johnson 9.9 HP for sale! Are these a good engine? Can u get parts for them easily?

If it's the 2 stroke version I have the same engine, would recommend it - very reliable, quite nifty compared to Yamahas of same HP. I get mine serviced by a mechanic every year so no idea about parts, but they are a popular engine so Id imagine they're not hard to source. Make sure the engine you're looking at is in good working order before you buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

A Johnson 9.9 could be of considerable vintage! Still, if it is good value then fire away.
    You might find that it is not actually a Johnson at all but another make rebadged.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As with all engines it will depend on the life it has had how hard it was ran, how well it was looked after and what water it was used in. Engine owners tend to stand by their own a bit like ford car owners and opel :) I'm a mercury man and for me it's the only way to go :D although I am restoring an old johnson at the moment just for the red and white colour scheme :) Anyway the best way to tell if an engine is any good is to do a compression test on each cylinder and if they are within 10% of each other it should be good.

Advertisement