Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social

Options
  • 28-06-2015 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I fear that I may lose my job soon. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I would be entitled to job seekers allowance or benefit (I don't know the difference)? I don't know much about dole as I've never been on it and the website is no help at all. I live with my boyfriend who is in a temporary job (6 months contract). He would earn approximately 30k annually gross. No kids. I earn minimum wage at the moment. Any help greatly appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I fear that I may lose my job soon. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I would be entitled to job seekers allowance or benefit (I don't know the difference)? I don't know much about dole as I've never been on it and the website is no help at all. I live with my boyfriend who is in a temporary job (6 months contract). He would earn approximately 30k annually gross. No kids. I earn minimum wage at the moment. Any help greatly appreciated!

JSB - payment for 6-9 months based on past PRSI conts, not means-tested.

JSA = dole, means-tested, paid after JSB runs out, or if you don't qualify for JSB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chickatee27

Thank you for your helpful reply.
    Do you by any chance know the cut off point for earnings in relation to the means test? Because my other half works but we can't live on his wages at the moment with expenses and loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elizabeth2014

Hi,

Not a hope you'll qualify for Jobseekers allowance if your partner is on that income. You would however be eligible to apply once his contract ends.

Jobseekers benefit would work off of contributions in 2013 so if you were working that year you may be entitled to something (It also depends on your income in that year)

Sorry I don't have better news. You are always eligible to APPLY so there would be no harm in that. If you do not qualify for any payment, make sure you apply for credits (for pension purposes) also through the DSP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Hi,

Not a hope you'll qualify for Jobseekers allowance if your partner is on that income. You would however be eligible to apply once his contract ends.

Jobseekers benefit would work off of contributions in 2013 so if you were working that year you may be entitled to something (It also depends on your income in that year)

Sorry I don't have better news. You are always eligible to APPLY so there would be no harm in that. If you do not qualify for any payment, make sure you apply for credits (for pension purposes) also through the DSP

What are you talking about? JSB is not means tested and is dependant on the OP's PRSI contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elizabeth2014

I clearly stated in my reply that Jobseekers benefit (AKA JSB) works off contributions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

All matters benefits related are covered here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

Advertisement