Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

• 28-06-2015 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Ireland getting thumped 60-0 by New Zealand in Rugby in 2012 has to be up there.

Doesn't necessarily have to be the Irish national team, it can be an Irish athlete or team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Any time this d!ckhead turns up at an event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Broken link man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Michelle de Bruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Soccer team losing to Germany a while back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Michelle de Bruin Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Broken link man.

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Menas wrote: »
    Michelle de Bruin.

Yes. Because wining all those medals was very embarrassing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

John Delaney whinging about being beaten by the Henry hand-ball and looking to be let in to the World Cup finals as the '33rd' team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

The waterford crystal doping horse. After the fiasco of michelle smyth, we were embarrased yet again on the world stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The horse that Bertie won the money on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Michelle Smith and the refusal afterwards in certain quarters here to accept her guilt.

Also the Fields of Athenry at the end of the 4-0 hammering by Spain

Also asking to be a 33rd team at the world cup

Nearly forgot to mention Ireland barely scraping a win against San Marino in 2007 with the score finishing 2-1. This was San Marino's first goal since 2005 and they wouldn't score again until 6 months later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Michelle Smith washing her fanny with whiskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The 60-0 is the first thing to come into my head but that Horan incident where he ruined the Greek lads Marathon was awful
    I bought as many yoghurts as I could and wore a toga to work for a week to make up for it in some way.

But yeah that 60 point drubbing was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Dunne getting stopped within ninety seconds of the first round against Kiko Martinez.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sonia getting the runs in a major final was very embarrassing for her I'd say.

Dunne getting stopped within ninety seconds of the first round against Kiko Martinez.
    Jesus yeah I was on holiday in Youghal when that was on, went to the toilet, came back and he was on his hole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Irish Liverpool and United supporters at their first away trip in 10 years getting called the Best Supporters In The World for singing Fields Of Athenry after decent and non dysfunctional footballing countries obliterate Ireland at major tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Irish fans of a Premiership team booing Eircom League players in a recent exhibition match at the Aviva Stadium.

Irish fans of a Premiership team booing Eircom League players in a recent exhibition match at the Aviva Stadium.
    Was that when United played a LOI XI to open the Aviva?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Jesus yeah I was on holiday in Youghal when that was on, went to the toilet, came back and he was on the dole!

Fixed that for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

KevIRL wrote: »

That wasn't one bit embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

That wasn't one bit embarrassing.

I disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I don't think there's ever any shame in getting beaten by a better or smarter opponent on the day, that's sport, many of Ireland's greatest sporting achievements came against opponents we maybe didn't have the pedigree to beat.

The reaction to the Henry handball, culminating in the request to be the 33rd team, Blatters public disclosure of that and the acceptance of payment to 'drop it' on the other hand is just cringe inducing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

razorblunt wrote: »
    I bought as many yoghurts as I could and wore a toga to work for a week to make up for it in some way.

(-.-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Soccer team losing to Germany a while back

But they drew! John O'Shea, last minute equalizer?

But they drew! John O'Shea, last minute equalizer?
    Ireland got beat 6-0 by Germany in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Jesus yeah I was on holiday in Youghal when that was on, went to the toilet, came back and he was on his hole!

Depending on where you were in Youghal the same could have happened to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Drawing against Liechtenstein

http://www.balls.ie/football/drawing-mountain-top-remembering-irelands-0-0-draw-liechtenstein/183416

This was the team we drew to.
    The team were made for one of those modern graphics which are so popular these days - showcasing the day jobs of players from minnow countries.

The oldest player, at 32, was Roland Hilti, a teacher in the local secondary school (or gynasium). He now works as the vice-principal at the same school. Over the phone, he scrambles to remember the day-jobs of the players who lined out with him that day. It's evident from the team line-up that day that Liechtenstein had and has a thriving financial sector. Bankers line out for Liechtenstein the way geography and PE teachers line out for inter-county teams.

Patrik Hefti was, how you say, a postman. Now he's in Singapore (he's head of risk management at a bank). Daniel Hassler was a builder and now works as a coach with Vaduz FC. Two or three are bankers now.
    Up front, Mario Frick was accompanied by mechanic Alex Burgmaier. The team also boasted a draughtsman, an architect and a wine grower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Was that when United played a LOI XI to open the Aviva?

If it was it didn't happen. From my memory the home team's goal got great cheer - best goal of the game if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Fair play to him though he came back to win a World Championship on the same day that the Irish rugby team won the grand slam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fair play to him though he came back to win a World Championship in a fight that was voted fight of the year on the same day that the Irish rugby team won the six nations championship.

Indeed. Got knocked oh his arse twice and took a good hiding in the tenth I think. Looked well beaten and dead on his feet in the next and then an amazing comeback in the last. Great performance and balls shown that night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

charles haughey stealing the limelight when stephen roche won the tour de france was fairly cringeworthy

Willie Casey vs Guillermo Rigondeaux, as a Limerick man I was so happy to see Willie get beaten :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Didnt ireland lose 4-0 against some shjt team like Cyprus a few years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didnt ireland lose 4-0 against some shjt team like Cyprus a few years ago?
    5-2 to Cyprus, Euro 2008 qualifier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I think the non-event game versus England brought up a potential candidate, as pointed out to me by an England fan after the game. Irish fans in the South Lower booing GSTQ, for whatever reason and they then proceeded to boo Raheem Sterling for his continuous refusal to sign a new contract for their beloved Liverpool.
    Michelle Smith and the refusal afterwards in certain quarters here to accept her guilt.

Was she ever officially done for it? I know that she still has the medals and is still listed with the honours.

A very good shout.
    Willie Casey vs Guillermo Rigondeaux, as a Limerick man I was so happy to see Willie get beaten :D:D

Willie 'Big Bang' Casey, you mean. That was in Citywest, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Lot of competition for this one.

Morons protesting outside the French embassy. Grown men, ffs!!!!

John Delaney throwing his tie in the crowd in Moscow(?).

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

Ireland fans demanding an award after Euro2012 for something or other.

Irish fans booing some player against Denmark years ago because they thought he played for Rangers. (He didn't).

Irish fans booing an England player because he might leave their favourite (English) club.

Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

John Delaney.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Lot of competition for this one.

Morons protesting outside the French embassy. Grown men, ffs!!!!

John Delaney throwing his tie in the crowd in Moscow(?).

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

Ireland fans demanding an award after Euro2012 for something or other.

Irish fans booing some player against Denmark years ago because they thought he played for Rangers. (He didn't).

Irish fans booing an England player because he might leave their favourite (English) club.

Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

John Delaney.
    What happened there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What happened there?

There was a mistake made by one of the officials during the match so the Gah ordered it to be replayed.

Big cash windfall for the Gah and loads of publicity which they felt was badly needed after Italia90 the year before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

G Mac talking in that fcuking mid-Atlantic accent..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

The Fields of Athenry, full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Not a single moment but the GAA's insistence on replays is a continuing embarrassment.

The fact that they also haven't taken the timekeeping duties off the referee is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Forgot about the episode where a certain sub-section of the population almost went berserk when Rory hinted at declaring from Team GB in the upcoming Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There was a mistake made by one of the officials during the match so the Gah ordered it to be replayed.

Big cash windfall for the Gah and loads of publicity which they felt was badly needed after Italia90 the year before.

No there wasn't. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Ireland got beat 6-0 by Germany in 2012.

It was 6-1 :):(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

England women hammering us at rugby world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

the 60 nil loss to NZ was the morning of my wedding, every time I look at the wife I have to think of that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Irish fans booing a player in an international match (think he was Austrian) because he played his club football with Rangers. There are a couple of angles to that cringe.

FAI refusing to allow the Limerick Barcelona game was another one. In fact, the FAI would be prominent on any list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement