Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

osarusan wrote: »
    Irish fans booing a player in an international match (think he was Austrian) because he played his club football with Rangers. There are a couple of angles to that cringe.

FAI refusing to allow the Limerick Barcelona game was another one. In fact, the FAI would be prominent on any list.
    Me and my brother spoke about the Barcelona game this morning. The FAI just didn't want Limerick soccer getting lots of money as Limerick and Dublin both have the best Youth leagues in Ireland. Limerick getting more money would allow for better facilities etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    I disagree

Oh no you didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

In general, the whole "You'll never beat the Irish!" chant at sporting events. I know it's not meant to be taken literally, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Me and my brother spoke about the Barcelona game this morning. The FAI just didn't want Limerick soccer getting lots of money as Limerick and Dublin both have the best Youth leagues in Ireland. Limerick getting more money would allow for better facilities etc.

FAI wanted to host Barcelona themselves, and said as much at the time.

Limerick would not have made much money, as it would have cost a million quid to get Barcelona. We would have covered costs and got great publicity, but it would not have been a windfall of any kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Patww79 wrote: »
    The Irish Open golf not even being in Ireland.

The Irish Golf Union like most Irish sporting bodies covers the whole island.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There was a mistake made by one of the officials during the match so the Gah ordered it to be replayed.

Big cash windfall for the Gah and loads of publicity which they felt was badly needed after Italia90 the year before.
    Yeah, that never happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

PLAN B in Croke Park at an all Ireland final a few years back. Stewards trying to keep people in the stands by holding up some plastic mesh was a joke to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can you explain what happened here, only have the vaguest of recollections of it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

salmocab wrote: »
    the 60 nil loss to NZ was the morning of my wedding, every time I look at the wife I have to think of that game.

Grounds for divorce.

PLAN B in Croke Park at an all Ireland final a few years back. Stewards trying to keep people in the stands by holding up some plastic mesh was a joke to say the least.

Was that not a Leinster final I remember it happening it was hilarious the final whistle had barely gone and it came up on the big screen and the announcer sounded like he was panicking. I think plan B was to forget the original plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

salmocab wrote: »
    Can you explain what happened here, only have the vaguest of recollections of it happening.
    FAI refused to sanction the match, here's an article from the Leader that'll explain it http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/limerick-fc-cancel-barca-clash-after-spanish-giants-run-out-of-time-1-2192147

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Menas wrote: »
    Michelle de Bruin.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Michelle de Bruin Smith
    Yes. Because wining all those medals was very embarrassing :P

No the guy commentating nearly crying.
    I was scarlet for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

An English club and a Scottish club playing the "Dublin Derby"

Matt Cooper and others banging on about Munster beating New Zealand in a meaningless friendly in 1978. Thomand Park was like the GPO that day, everyone claiming they were there! We roll eyes at the English and 1966 but we are worse

• Advertisement

FAI refused to sanction the match, here's an article from the Leader that'll explain it http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/limerick-fc-cancel-barca-clash-after-spanish-giants-run-out-of-time-1-2192147

Ah I see, basically it was naive of Limerick to think they could do something good without the FAI doing it for them. Really Limerick only have themselves to blame and you know its true because John Delaney says. He's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

That's some statement.

Are working class people not allowed to like rugby?
    Or is bandwagon jumping only okay for the middle or upper class types?

:confused:

normal people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Yes. Because wining all those medals was very embarrassing :P

Yes, it was. Embarrassing that a cheat won those medals and denied someone clean from winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Lot of competition for this one.

Morons protesting outside the French embassy. Grown men, ffs!!!!

John Delaney throwing his tie in the crowd in Moscow(?).

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

Ireland fans demanding an award after Euro2012 for something or other.

Irish fans booing some player against Denmark years ago because they thought he played for Rangers. (He didn't).

Irish fans booing an England player because he might leave their favourite (English) club.

John Delaney.

I think someone got the Clare Offaly game of 98 mistaken when the ref blew up with 5 or 6 minutes of time left to play... I really doubt it was to do with the "GAH" wanting more money ... But hey let's not facts ruin a good story 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

In general, the whole "You'll never beat the Irish!" chant at sporting events. I know it's not meant to be taken literally, but still.

or ANY "come on you boys in...(enter colour here) chant....i genuinely hate it, in ANY sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

or ANY "come on you boys in...(enter colour here) chant....i genuinely hate it, in ANY sport...

Let's not forget the famous "Ole, ole, ole ...." chant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yes it was..

You must be a Carlow man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

hahaha nope, but honestly, its so unimaginative and cringy.....also the, "theres only one (enter sportsperson here)"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

That didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

The first thing that springs to mind is the 'fans' that showed up to the Dublin leg of UFC 189 promotional tour with Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo. Absolute disgrace and extremely cringeworthy. The majority if the crowd seemed to be like a cross between a hooligan and a junkie.

That didn't happen.

Most of the post is inaccurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's a common chant at the soccer and, to be fair, we very rarely get beaten. With the exception of Euro 2012, we've drawn with some of the best sides in the world over the past ten years.

So yes, you never will beat the Irish, but probably not get beaten by the Irish either. Just a series of draws.

hahaha nope, but honestly, its so unimaginative and cringy.....also the, "theres only one (enter sportsperson here)"

I'll agree it's unimaginative but catchy and easy to learn to get some kind of atmosphere/noise going.

I did once forget I was at a Dublin game and sang "green" instead of "blue" though so maybe only easy to learn if you're not a colour blind idiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

That didn't happen.

They played each other nearly every weekend of the year, well two/ three replays and some well timed final whistles.

So yes, you never will beat the Irish, but probably not get beaten by the Irish either. Just a series of draws.

More accurate but doesn't have the same ring to it. Maybe if you could get it to rhyme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Garryowen residents will be surprised to hear they are no longer working class. You can include countless other clubs in that too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Aidric wrote: »
    Not a single moment but the GAA's insistence on replays is a continuing embarrassment.

The fact that they also haven't taken the timekeeping duties off the referee is ridiculous.

"Schure blowit up ref, dey diserve another dey ought". The GAA are ****ing embarrassing full stop....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Roger_007 wrote: »
    John Delaney whinging about being beaten by the Henry hand-ball and looking to be let in to the World Cup finals as the '33rd' team.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Most Septembers.... We'll win one yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There was a mistake made by one of the officials during the match so the Gah ordered it to be replayed.

Big cash windfall for the Gah and loads of publicity which they felt was badly needed after Italia90 the year before.

the dublin v meath games were replayed as they ended in a draw, 3 times.

you are mixing this up with the clare v offaly game in 1998, when the ref blew the game up early. for your information, all the money was donated to charity from the replay.

also was it not in Tallinn that John Delaney threw his tie into the crowd (he did it more than once, but the one that got all the publicity was that play off game). no fans demanded an award after 2012, it was other countries who brought this up.

overall, you seem very bitter towards GAA and the Irish national team, so bitter that you are actually referring to incidents that didnt happen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Soccer team losing 5 nil against CYPRUS back when Steve Staunton was manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Strumms wrote: »
    "Schure blowit up ref, dey diserve another dey ought". The GAA are ****ing embarrassing full stop....

Completely exaggerated.A few years ago Dublin played Kildare and there was a dicey enough free awarded to Dublin in the last seconds of the game that won them the match.The referee could easily have ignored it and blew for full time and had another 50000 in Croke Park the next week.

You do know that sometimes 2 teams in games are evenly matched and a draw happens.Draws are fairly rare occurences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That didn't happen but never let the truth stand un the way of your hatred for whatever the 'gah' is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Collie D wrote: »
    More accurate but doesn't have the same ring to it. Maybe if you could get it to rhyme?

Hit us on the chin, you win, hit us on the craw, we draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Completely exaggerated.A few years ago Dublin played Kildare and there was a dicey enough free awarded to Dublin in the last seconds of the game that won them the match.The referee could easily have ignored it and blew for full time and had another 50000 in Croke Park the next week.

You do know that sometimes 2 teams in games are evenly matched and a draw happens.Draws are fairly rare occurences.

the all ireland final 2011 also....game was level going into injury time and the ref awarded a dubious free to Dublin. not only did it take Cluxton about a minute + to take the free, but the ref blew it up as soon as the kick out was taken.

he cost the GAA about €4million.

• Advertisement

Asking to be the 33rd team in the Euros after the Henry handball incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Soccer team losing 5 nil against CYPRUS back when Steve Staunton was manager.

We lost 2-5 to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

The F.A.I. continuously

John Delaney

The whole saga surrounding the Henry incident.

The Lichtenstein draw.

The hype surrounding Munster winning a friendly match, at least when England go on about 1966, they have something worth boasting about.

Irish fans celebrating a defeat as if it's a victory.

The supposed best fans in the world recently booing an English player instead of concentrating on their own team.

Euro 2012, supposed professional footballers unable to do their job of playing a bit of football like a professional.

That stupid fields of Athenry - (a depressing dirge) - and the "you'll never beat the Irish" [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL], a statement that has continuously proven to be false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The 60-0 defeat to New Zealand.

the all ireland final 2011 also....game was level going into injury time and the ref awarded a dubious free to Dublin. not only did it take Cluxton about a minute + to take the free, but the ref blew it up as soon as the kick out was taken.

he cost the GAA about €4million.

Was it a dodgy free? Genuinely can't remember why it was given, only the longest walk ever. Definitely proves your point though, ref would have been justified to add more time on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement