Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Has to be the phantom goal in the 2010 leinster final. At the time i was delighted with the decision and tried my damnedness to justify it. But i couldnt. I think everyone from both meath and lost felt they lost that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

The "Bertie Bowl".
    €43m spent on it without a single brick laid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Didn't some minister about 10-15 years ago come out and say with a straight face that Ireland should bid for the Olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

John Delaney obviously had just come out of some media training.
    An interview went something like this
    Delaney: Am I doing a good job?
    Delaney: Good question. Well, actually, I am doing a good job.

That interview, his "rapport" with the fans, his appointment as international manager of a player who managed a UK lower league team, his claim for a 33rd World Cup place, his taking $5 million from Blatter - all embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Zebra3 wrote: »

The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.

That's not what happened. At all. It was a draw, twice in a row if I'm not mistaken.

Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

Snobbery of the highest order. Rugby is anyone's game nowadays , not just the so called 'Upper Classes'.

IMO the whole Michelle De Bruin fiasco was one of the most cringe worthy episodes in Irish sporting history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

philstar wrote: »
    Gaelic Games

why do we persist with this parochial muck, we should concentrate on international sports

Clearly you've never watched a Gaelic match of any sort in your life.

Nothing beats a day out at Croker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

mikemac1 wrote: »
    An English club and a Scottish club playing the "Dublin Derby"

Did that actually happen or are you confusing it with the Dublin Decider?

The Irish fans doing a Mexican wave at a recent international would be up there for me. That, the booing of Raheem Sterling and Delaney crying on the radio because his bird was getting pelters on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

I think the fact that we won't qualify for Euro 2016 must be up there

Euro 2012 was fairly cringe inducing stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

crybaby wrote:

crybaby wrote:

Why is not qualifying be embarrassing? Germany the best team in the world. Poland a population of 40million. Scotland have a better team than us. Not embarrassing at all.

Euro2012 we played Spain worlds best at the time. Italy one of the best teams of all time. Croatia were ranked 7th at the time.

I'd hate to be at a match if it was just boardsies at it. Not aloud sing, not aloud support our team if we're losing, not aloud do a mexican wave. Should we just sit there like vegetables?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

ComfortKid wrote: »
    I'd hate to be at a match if it was just boardsies at it. Not aloud sing, not aloud support our team if we're losing, not aloud do a mexican wave. Should we just sit there like vegetables?

And there would be disagreements from all in attendance about the final score.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The hammer thrower was Declan Hegarty. As I recall, his personal best was pretty good and in an Olympics without the big hammer throwing Soviet states, he should have been in with a decent chance of a medal. It's a tricky sport though. If your timing's off that's it.

I think he's a doctor now. Another fine mesh he's gotten himself into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

There's was a sports minister not too long ago who said we should set up a team in Dublin and enter them in the Champions League. A sports minister showing that he has no knowledge of how the world's most popular sport actually works.

dan1895 wrote:
    There's was a sports minister not too long ago who said we should set up a team in Dublin and enter them in the Champions League. A sports minister showing that he has no knowledge of how the world's most popular sport actually works.

Haha dont we have a team that enters it every year. Which minister was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Not aloud sing, not aloud support , not aloud mexican wave. Should we just sit there like vegetables?
    Just keep it down a bit so!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not sure if this was mentioned, but Sonia O'Sullivan being forced to strip naked in the tunnel before her race at the Atlanta Olympics in 1996. Was a particularly embarrassing moment for Irish sport.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/sonia-forced-to-strip-before-her-heat-1.71643

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

crybaby wrote: »
    What a sad, pathetic individual

Indeed, the time he ran out on the F1 track - endangering the drivers and the stewards life ... what a f*cking asshole ..

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

when cork went off to catch a train during a national league final , they didnt come out for extra time , the ref restarted with only the dublin team on the pitch ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't we bid to host the Euros before with Scotland -
    We proposed 3 stadiums :
    1) that had been recently burnt (old landsdowne)
    2) Rule 42 still in place so couldn't play in it (Croker)
    3) Didn’t exist (Bertie Bowl)

Needless to say we got nowhere

wp_rathead wrote:
    Didn't we bid to host the Euros before with Scotland - We proposed 3 stadiums : 1) that had been recently burnt (old landsdowne) 2) Rule 42 still in place so couldn't play in it (Croker) 3) Didn’t exist (Bertie Bowl)

I think the Aviva is hosting a few games for the 2020 Euros?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

dan1895 wrote: »

There was active interest in moving Wimbledon FC to Dublin back in the mid nineties. Is that what you are talking about? This was led by the Wimbledon ownership not by some irish minister. If it is something else you are referencing I apologise.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Didn't we bid to host the Euros before with Scotland -
    We proposed 3 stadiums :
    1) that had been recently burnt (old landsdowne)
    2) Rule 42 still in place so couldn't play in it (Croker)
    3) Didn’t exist (Bertie Bowl)

Needless to say we got nowhere

Id have to agree with this one. A laughable proposal. Bertie took the UEFA committee to see a green field site and a stadium he did not know could be used in the bid process (Croke Park, in the middle of championship season). There was no agreement from the GAA to hand over their stadium in the middle of their season and rightly so. Id say the UEFA executives only showed up out of politeness.

salmocab wrote: »
    the 60 nil loss to NZ was the morning of my wedding, every time I look at the wife I have to think of that game.

Haha I also got married that day, was a good excuse to start the champagne a bit early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

dirtyden wrote: »
    There was active interest in moving Wimbledon FC to Dublin back in the mid nineties. Is that what you are talking about? This was led by the Wimbledon ownership not by some irish minister. If it is something else you are referencing I apologise.

No it wasn't that although the people here wanting that to happen are another entry onto the list.

To answer the other poster I think it was McDaid but am probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

That mayo fella running on to the field against kerry last year, it was hilarious but really embarrassing also, staying with mayo that song they had about Sam mcguire coming home to mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

crybaby wrote: »

Not qualifying for a competition 'must be up there' with the most embarrassing sporting moments ever? Get a grip. What about every other time we haven't qualified?
    And then qualifying is embarrassing as well? Losing to 3 of the worlds top 10 and two of the finalists?
    What a stupid post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

gizmo23 wrote: »
    I think someone got the Clare Offaly game of 98 mistaken when the ref blew up with 5 or 6 minutes of time left to play... I really doubt it was to do with the "GAH" wanting more money ... But hey let's not facts ruin a good story 😀

There was 2 minutes of normal time and Jimmy Cooney blew the whistle with Clare 3 points ahead

I don't think he ever refereed a championship game again

While the mistake he made was an embarrassment, it was nothing compared to the shocking behaviour of some of the gaa supporters who sent him death threats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

YFlyer wrote: »
    Only team in Ireland to beat the All Blacks. Can't cringe that.

The womens team beat them last year in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

When some turkey won the Tour de France in 1987. Translation: when Charlie Haughey mooched on to the podium when Stephen Roche won the TdF. /cringeworthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The thousands of Irish people that are quite happy to spend their money traveling to the UK every wend to watch games but have never set foot inside a LOI ground....:(

Akrasia wrote: »
    There was 2 minutes of normal time and Jimmy Cooney blew the whistle with Clare 3 points ahead

I don't think he ever refereed a championship game again

While the mistake he made was an embarrassment, it was nothing compared to the shocking behaviour of some of the gaa supporters who sent him death threats

See attached what Jimmy Cooney himself had to say about the response.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/cooney-finds-people-power-beats-the-whistle-blowers-26174148.html

His actual comments ``I expected to be absolutely cut to pieces. But I wasn't. It wasn't coming from any quarter. Letters, phone-calls, media. There was nothing but good. I couldn't get over that. I couldn't.''

Not sure where you are getting the above from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

mikemac1 wrote: »
    An English club and a Scottish club playing the "Dublin Derby"

Matt Cooper and others banging on about Munster beating New Zealand in a meaningless friendly in 1978. Thomand Park was like the GPO that day, everyone claiming they were there! We roll eyes at the English and 1966 but we are worse

Yeah, slightly off track but since moving to England it's amazing how many 2nd & 3rd generations Irish I meet that had relations holed up in the GPO in 1916...including my barber...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

nokia69 wrote: »
    football does need a rule change to reduce hand passing but can still be a good game

I just don't understand this preference for hoofing the ball up in the air in the hope it'll land with a team mate when it's finished bouncing around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The 60-0 loss to NZ wasn't embarrassing; you have to put it into the context of the three-match series. In the second test Ireland threw absolutely everything they had at NZ to level the series, but fell agonisingly short. It was to be expected that they would be torn to shreds in the final game.

The soccer team wearing black armbands after Diana died was embarrassing. Shameful decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

tricky D wrote: »
    When some turkey won the Tour de France in 1987. Translation: when Charlie Haughey mooched on to the podium when Stephen Roche won the TdF. /cringeworthy

I remember that well. Didnt he say something about wanting Ireland to bid for the Olympics when he was grandstanding on that podium?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

salmocab wrote: »
    Was that not a Leinster final I remember it happening it was hilarious the final whistle had barely gone and it came up on the big screen and the announcer sounded like he was panicking. I think plan B was to forget the original plan.

2009 hurling final. Was at the game

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭brian_7070

Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Irelands call cringe every time I hear it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I like Ireland's Call. The other one is ridiculous and offensive to some supporters and players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

The thousands of Irish people that are quite happy to spend their money traveling to the UK every wend to watch games but have never set foot inside a LOI ground....:(

as an aside, i wouldnt mind taking up the attending of matches in the near future, however the standard of football is so poor. on top of that i have a feeling that its not the type of atmosphere one could bring kids to. (i havent been to any matches in any other country) if its dangerous then im out.

the fai itself is embarrassing as is delany and the sooner he is out the better imo.....

Menas wrote: »
    I remember that well. Didnt he say something about wanting Ireland to bid for the Olympics when he was grandstanding on that podium?

No. The Olympic bid was Gay Mitchell afaik when he was Mayor of Dublin.

The hyperbole surrounding the rugby team before the 07 World Cup was pretty amusing. Fellows - who had been watching the sport, or more accurately Munster and Ireland games - for all of 2 or 3 years by then all pontificating that we were going to win it, following by the usual capitulation.

• Advertisement

Has to be the story of Sonia's 5000m race at the Atlanta Olympics, when she suffered a case of the Hurry Out & the Delay Abroad.

She looked so sweaty and uncomfortable as she started to trail the pack; we wondered was this a tactic? Then suddenly she burst off the track and made right for the shitter. She literally saw her opportunity for olympic gold flushed down the toilet.

I'm glad she managed to win a medal in Sydney, but my word, that's one dodgy kebab she'll never forget.

however the standard of football is so poor....

That they'd rather watch Celtic playing Buckie Thistle?

There are many reasons Irish people follow the game in Britain, but I don't buy the standard of football one. Most kids support their Liverpools and Celtics long before they can analyse the quality of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

We slag off england fans and media because they keep going on about the 1966 world cup. Biggest sporting event in the world and they beat Germany in the final only 20 years after the war.
    But for some reason it's ok for munster fans to go on about a completely meaningless match against the all blacks in the poxy 70's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

That they'd rather watch Celtic playing Buckie Thistle?

There are many reasons Irish people follow the game in Britain, but I don't buy the standard of football one. Most kids support their Liverpools and Celtics long before they can analyse the quality of football.

I completely get your point, however i dont "support" anyone. I watch football from the UK and Spain mainly and it is far more entertaining than LOI. I wouldnt bother with the Scottish league either as that is also dire to watch bar some games. Removing a few teams from the SPL and its not far off LOI standard.

Again I would like to go and pick up a team to support in the near future but its not the safest place to go, and for the risk thats involved the quality just isnt there. Eradicate the hooliganism aspect of it, make it more respectful and the numbers attending will increase, families will go people like me will go etc but it would be foolish to say a LOI fixture is like going to ANY rugby match in terms of safety.

I also believe that the tickets are quite reasonably price which would be a HUGE selling point were either of my reasons above actually addressed by the LOI and the FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Cienciano wrote: »
    We slag off england fans and media because they keep going on about the 1966 world cup. Biggest sporting event in the world and they beat Germany in the final only 20 years after the war.
    But for some reason it's ok for munster fans to go on about a completely meaningless match against the all blacks in the poxy 70's.

A province beat the best team in the world. It was extremely embarrassing for the all blacks.

Also there tend to be no friendlys in International rugby.

Cienciano wrote: »

And it wasn't even that heralded in the 80s and 90s. The new wave of rugby fan who signed up during the Celtic Tiger gave it an aura that it didn't previously have, a play, a book, ad campaigns using clips etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The hyperbole surrounding the rugby team before the 07 World Cup was pretty amusing. Fellows - who had been watching the sport, or more accurately Munster and Ireland games - for all of 2 or 3 years by then all pontificating that we were going to win it, following by the usual capitulation.

Looking back now it may seem like hyperbole, but the season leading into the 2007 had the Ireland team in great form. The '06 Autumn Internationals had gone really well, with a standout performance against Australia. Then the '07 Six Nations had Ireland playing some of the best rugby I've seen them play, with all our best players in top form. The France game went wrong in the last minute, with a bounce landing the ball in Clerc's hands 1v1 with John Hayes near the line. They nearly won the Championship anyway with the points chase on the last day and narrowly lost out.

So Ireland had their best players in great form and the team as a whole playing well, so imagining something could go their way in the World Cup was not out of the question. The fact they ended up playing so badly was disappointing, but I don't think fans daring to dream when it looked things were going well for a change was particularly embarrassing.

check_six wrote: »
    So Ireland had their best players in great form and the team as a whole playing well, so imagining something could go their way in the World Cup was not out of the question. The fact they ended up playing so badly was disappointing, but I don't think fans daring to dream when it looked things were going well for a change was particularly embarrassing.

I remember telling fellows who had no idea of the history of the game that we hadn't even reached the semi finals of a tournament with a handful of teams in it. Scotland and Wales had a better record than us. I think most of them just didn't believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

The clip of Stephen Roche and David Walsh is embarrassing to whoever spoke in the audience or called in that night.
    David Walsh was ridiculed that night for suggesting drugs were a part of Cycling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

To be fair, many of them are vegetables. :pac:

And come on, we'd sing as loudly as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement