Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

as an aside, i wouldnt mind taking up the attending of matches in the near future, however the standard of football is so poor. on top of that i have a feeling that its not the type of atmosphere one could bring kids to. (i havent been to any matches in any other country) if its dangerous then im out.

the fai itself is embarrassing as is delany and the sooner he is out the better imo.....

It depends on your frame of reference. Is it as good as La Liga? No, because that's the best league in the world. Does that mean that it's poor? No. A six figure salary is a pittance compared to what someone like Mark Zuckerburg earns, but that doesn't mean that it's a poor salary. It's not as good as one of the richest men in the world, but it's still a good salary.

In Irish football, a tiny tiny percentage of footballers will make it into the "big" leagues. Maybe 50-100 will play in the likes of the English Premier League, higher English Football League or a league of equivalent quality. About 380,000 males play football in this country (17% participation in the 2.25M male population). So, about 0.013%-0.026% of Irish footballers make it "big" abroad. In the League of Ireland, there are 20 teams with senior squads of about 20-25 each (we'll say 22.5). So, that's about 450 senior players in this country. Most of them would be Irish - a quick sample of squads for this season puts it at about 90-95%. So, we'll say 415 of the players are Irish. Of the 380,000 playing in this country, a little over 400 have made it into national senior football. They represent the next 0.11% after the few that have made it abroad. They are in the 99.86th percentile when it comes to footballers. (Figures are rounded off and estimates from looking at club squad pages, but they give a feel for how high up on the ladder of Irish football the LoI is.)

They are among the best Irish footballers. Most are not good enough to earn even a modest wage. They are the best footballers in this country full stop. They are the highest quality that the vast majority in Ireland would have the opportunity to regularly watch in the flesh. And they do provide good entertainment and value for money. They're a great way for parents and children, siblings, uncles/aunts and nephews/nieces etc. to bond. Young kids particularly enjoy it, getting to see players in a stadium so close up, being in the family section with all the drums, seeing the club mascot, sensing the energy in the crowd etc. The vast majority of matches are safe. You rarely get trouble and even then most of that will not affect the general fanbase. Eg, recently there was a case involving a fight in some carpark...a mile from the stadium...at about 2 in the morning when the car park was closed to vehicles...when the teams weren't even playing a match. You and your children will be safe. And the above mentioned family sections provide good, language-free, smoking-free etc. areas for young children.

I'd really recommend you to take your kids out to a few games sometime. Not just one, but a string of a few, so you and your family can really get a feel for it. The European games are coming up soon. I see you're based in Dublin - there are three teams in action. UCD this Thursday, Shamrock Rovers tomorrow week and St Pat's Thursday week. Depending on how they do, there might be more matches the following fortnight and if they do well again, the fortnight after that. Dundalk will also be playing in the Champions League in a fortnight and Cork City will be playing in the Europa League this Thursday, if you'll be in either of these places.

Give it a try for a few weeks. Your kids will likely enjoy it in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

A province beat the best team in the world. It was extremely embarrassing for the all blacks.

Also there tend to be no friendlys in International rugby.
    In a completely amateur sport? Its hardly Malahide United beating Barcelona. And it was a tour match, not far off a training game.
    Considering what england did 12 years earlier was in the world cup final, in london, and it wasn't that long after the war, they have every right to go on about it. Us and the munster game, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭brian_7070

I like Ireland's Call. The other one is ridiculous and offensive to some supporters and players.

I cant imagine too many other teams changing there national anthems just to avoid offending people. I am probably wrong and am going to get loads of example's of teams who did now. In my opinion if you are offended by a countries national anthem maybe you should not play for that country.

But aside from all the nationalism and political correctness BS it is such a terrible song surely some one could have come up with something better than that. It sounds like a song from one of those cheap albums of Irish songs you try to sell to Americans on the shopping channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

who was the irish swimmer years ago in the Olympics who had to stop mid lane and adjust her goggles ? remember watching it but can't remember the story for the life of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I completely get your point, however i dont "support" anyone. I watch football from the UK and Spain mainly and it is far more entertaining than LOI. I wouldnt bother with the Scottish league either as that is also dire to watch bar some games. Removing a few teams from the SPL and its not far off LOI standard.

Again I would like to go and pick up a team to support in the near future but its not the safest place to go, and for the risk thats involved the quality just isnt there. Eradicate the hooliganism aspect of it, make it more respectful and the numbers attending will increase, families will go people like me will go etc but it would be foolish to say a LOI fixture is like going to ANY rugby match in terms of safety.

I also believe that the tickets are quite reasonably price which would be a HUGE selling point were either of my reasons above actually addressed by the LOI and the FAI

I've been going to LOI matches since the late 80s and I've only seen trouble twice. I've seen it more often at gaa matches.

The entertainment value is actually being at the match, not the quality of football on show.

I've been entertained watching under 14s in the local league, more than I've ever been by sitting on my sofa watching Sky Sports Super Sunday.

People need to stop looking at football as if it's a TV show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Cienciano wrote: »
    In a completely amateur sport? Its hardly Malahide United beating Barcelona. And it was a tour match, not far off a training game.
    Considering what england did 12 years earlier was in the world cup final, in london, and it wasn't that long after the war, they have every right to go on about it. Us and the munster game, not so much.

It was the only match NZ lost on that tour. They were virtually invincible.

England's WC win was a joke, it's been proven that the ball never crossed the line. And it's fair to say that given the losses Germany suffered during the war compared to England, it was an achievement for them just to reach the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I've been going to LOI matches since the late 80s and I've only seen trouble twice. I've seen it more often at gaa matches.

The entertainment value is actually being at the match, not the quality of football on show.

I've been entertained watching under 14s in the local league, more than I've ever been by sitting on my sofa watching Sky Sports Super Sunday.

People need to stop looking at football as if it's a TV show.

Ive lived in the drumcondra area for 6 years, in that time there has been countless acts of violence by thugs and hooligans after LOI games. Im not disputing you in terms of you only seeing trouble twice, but there was always trouble in the area during LOI games....i was lucky enough to live right in between the two stadiums, the on at the top of withworth road and the other down by all hallows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I found the whole hullabaloo about the England team being allowed to play rugby in Croke Park to be embarrassing. As if it was some sort of sacred holy temple.
    And all the self praise about how we were so open minded and forward thinking and 'embracing a new dawn' and all that bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

brian_7070 wrote: »
    I cant imagine too many other teams changing there national anthems just to avoid offending people. I am probably wrong and am going to get loads of example's of teams who did now. In my opinion if you are offended by a countries national anthem maybe you should not play for that country.

But aside from all the nationalism and political correctness BS it is such a terrible song surely some one could have come up with something better than that. It sounds like a song from one of those cheap albums of Irish songs you try to sell to Americans on the shopping channel

I'd sing "I'm a Little Teapot" as an anthem If it means we get to use players like Tommy Bowe, Stephen Ferris, David Humphries, Iain Henderson etc

It was the only match NZ lost on that tour. They were virtually invincible.

England's WC win was a joke, it's been proven that the ball never crossed the line. And it's fair to say that given the losses Germany suffered during the war compared to England, it was an achievement for them just to reach the final.

Ah would you stop. England won that match 4-2.
    That Munster game was a good achievement in a friendly non international match (hardly equivalent in any way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

LorMal wrote: »
    And all the self praise about how we were so open minded and forward thinking and 'embracing a new dawn' and all that bollocks.
    I thought it was a nice moment until everybody started we started patting ourselves on the back for it.

similar to the 'Fields of Athenry' singing against Spain. Nothing wrong with singing in spite of a defeat, but lets not applaud ourselves so much please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I found the whole hullabaloo about the England team being allowed to play rugby in Croke Park to be embarrassing. As if it was some sort of sacred holy temple.

I am embarrassed when it's brought up as one of our best sporting moments. We beat a poor English team. So What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

In fairness if there wasn't a bit of hullabaloo over a team playing in a stadium for the 1st time after 'their' army had killed a player and members of the public watching a game there (albeit a good while previous), there would never be hullabaloo over anything.

I'm not saying that as some sort of Ra-head but it was a significant piece of sporting history in an age where such occasions are often fabricated by the media to make them seem important.

John Hayes in tears at the anthem summed the whole thing up for me.

osarusan wrote: »
    I thought it was a nice moment until everybody started we started patting ourselves on the back for it.

similar to the 'Fields of Athenry' singing against Spain. Nothing wrong with singing in spite of a defeat, but lets not applaud ourselves so much please.

The Best Fans In the WORLD!!!
    (look at us - please pay us some attention - tell us we're great - see how we can get polluted and sing terrible songs 'shoes off for de boys in green' even though our team is crap - mind me sunburn)

• Advertisement

In fairness if there wasn't a bit of hullabaloo over a team playing in a stadium for the 1st time after 'their' army had killed a player and members of the public watching a game there (albeit a good while ago) they're would never be hullabaloo over anything.

I'm not saying that as some sort of Ra-head but it was a significant piece of sporting history in an age where such occasions are often fabricated by the media to make them seem important.

John Hayes in tears at the anthem summed the whole thing up for me.

A 'good while' ago - 80 fecking years ago!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

So what, I can't see how you think that it was embarrassing or deny that it was significant.

If that's your attitude then we could forget about any sort of history from any sporting stadium if it wasn't in the immediate past.

Lets not remember Hillsborough, Bradford or Heysel, sure they were ages ago now :rolleyes:

Patww79 wrote: »

Indeed, there is nothing better than when we celebrate something we can actually be proud of.
    But sometimes it is embarrassing when we are just self praising or attention seeking. Shows really poor self esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

All of them

• Advertisement

So what, I can't see how you think that it was embarrassing or deny that it was significant.

If that's your attitude then we could forget about any sort of history from any conflict if it wasn't in the immediate past.

Lets not remember Hillsborough, Bradford or Heysel, sure they were ages ago now :rolleyes:

It was a game of rugby - not the Battle of Stalingrad FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

I see you are still despising everything to do with Irish Rugby. Banned last time on the Rugby board I seem to recall. Bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Lot of competition for this one.
    The Gah desperate for attention and money in 1991 ordering a replay in the Dublin-Meath game after somebody had won the match.
    John Delaney.
    Aidric wrote: »
    Not a single moment but the GAA's insistence on replays is a continuing embarrassment.
    The fact that they also haven't taken the timekeeping duties off the referee is ridiculous.

Can I nominate "Anytime someone makes up stuff to try and make the GAA look bad"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGoFZN-BO8

this fat bastard .

should have been tasered in the neck and hauled off by the ankles

OldRio wrote: »
    I see you are still despising everything to do with Irish Rugby. Banned last time on the Rugby board I seem to recall. Bless.

I think you have me mixed up there. I am a very keen rugby supporter for over 40 years now.
    I didn't criticise Irish Rugby at all. My point was about all the bull**** around being allowed to use the hallowed ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I completely get your point, however i dont "support" anyone. I watch football from the UK and Spain mainly and it is far more entertaining than LOI. I wouldnt bother with the Scottish league either as that is also dire to watch bar some games. Removing a few teams from the SPL and its not far off LOI standard.

Again I would like to go and pick up a team to support in the near future but its not the safest place to go, and for the risk thats involved the quality just isnt there. Eradicate the hooliganism aspect of it, make it more respectful and the numbers attending will increase, families will go people like me will go etc but it would be foolish to say a LOI fixture is like going to ANY rugby match in terms of safety.

I also believe that the tickets are quite reasonably price which would be a HUGE selling point were either of my reasons above actually addressed by the LOI and the FAI
    The standard will only improve if attendance's improve. Supporting a team isn't about the standard of football they play.

The safety concerns idea is absolute nonsense. I've been to hundreds of games and never once felt in any way threatened. Nor have I ever heard of anyone who has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'd sing "I'm a Little Teapot" as an anthem If it means we get to use players like Tommy Bowe, Stephen Ferris, David Humphries, Iain Henderson etc

I dont know if I'd go for "Im a Little Teapot" but I agree with the point! We should be proud that we compete as one island, it's a great symbol of solidarity, and it's only fair to have a joint national anthem.

Also, Tommy Bowe is from Monaghan :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nearly forgot to mention Ireland barely scraping a win against San Marino in 2007 with the score finishing 2-1. This was San Marino's first goal since 2005 and they wouldn't score again until 6 months later.

To compound that, whoever was in charge decided it fitting that a frail-sounding Bobby Robson go to the stand and take the flack on Liveline the following day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Has to be the phantom goal in the 2010 leinster final. At the time i was delighted with the decision and tried my damnedness to justify it. But i couldnt. I think everyone from both meath and lost felt they lost that day.

What was even more embarrassing were the reactions of some of the fans afterwards. Invading the pitch and squaring up to and attacking the referee. Gardaí and stewards escorted him off the pitch, but they did nothing to the supporters that continued to try and get at the ref. They should have been apprehended by stewards and arrested by Gardaí. The GAA did promise to ban them from Croke Park and the Gardaí said they'd investigate, but I don't think anything came of it in the end. It was hooliganism, plain and simple, but it wasn't dealt with as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I dont know if I'd go for "Im a Little Teapot" but I agree with the point! We should be proud that we compete as one island, it's a great symbol of solidarity, and it's only fair to have a joint national anthem.

Aye, I'm a republican but I'd have no issues dropping the Anthem completely for the Rugby games and just going with Ireland's call or some other better version of it.

Countries changing their anthems to better represent the current situation or to prevent potentially insulting some other country/people happens.

Germany, South Africa, Holland, Russia and other have all changed their anthem.

I guess this'll be an unpopular post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

brian_7070 wrote: »
    Can’t believe nobody has mentioned Irelands call cringe every time I hear it
    It's a dirge, but fairly inoffensive.

Don't mind it being played for cross-border island of Ireland teams, still has to be less embarrassing than the NI soccer team playing GSTQ and having a flag that is a near replica of the George's cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I agree with Ireland Call being embarrassing. I understand why its there but we must be the only team in the world to have two anthems.

Not a moment but. I think what is embarrassing is that our two national games can only produce 4-5 tops quality counties in each code. Out of 32 counties, thats fairly embarrassing.

Anything to do with John Delaney or Conor Mcgregor is really embarrassing too.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    What was even more embarrassing were the reactions of some of the fans afterwards. Invading the pitch and squaring up to and attacking the referee. Gardaí and stewards escorted him off the pitch, but they did nothing to the supporters that continued to try and get at the ref. They should have been apprehended by stewards and arrested by Gardaí. The GAA did promise to ban them from Croke Park and the Gardaí said they'd investigate, but I don't think anything came of it in the end. It was hooliganism, plain and simple, but it wasn't dealt with as such.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/men-fined-1k-for-referee-attack-at-leinster-final-185776.html

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    It's a dirge, but fairly inoffensive.

Don't mind it being played for cross-border island of Ireland teams, still has to be less embarrassing than the NI soccer team playing GSTQ and having a flag that is a near replica of the George's cross.

Exactly. I do think that GSTQ is pretty awful to be played as the NI Anthem when the IFA are putting so much work into trying to make the NI team inclusive.

However you can't take a pop at them playing that while we expect Ulster players and supporters who are possibly of a Unionist persuasion to stand for Amhrán na bhFiann.

deadybai wrote: »
    I agree with Ireland Call being embarrassing. I understand why its there but we must be the only team in the world to have two anthems.

Not a moment but. I think what is embarrassing is that our two national games can only produce 4-5 tops quality counties in each code. Out of 32 counties, thats fairly embarrassing.

Anything to do with John Delaney or Conor Mcgregor is really embarrassing too.

It's to be expected really and pretty standard in every sport world wide at every level.

In the Premier League there's only 4 teams ever able to win. At any WC there's only 4 teams with a realistic chance of winning. In F1 there's only 2 cars with a chance of winning.

There's far too much made of this in GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

KevIRL wrote: »
    Michelle Smith and the refusal afterwards in certain quarters here to accept her guilt.

Also the Fields of Athenry at the end of the 4-0 hammering by Spain

Also asking to be a 33rd team at the world cup

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/forum/showpost.php?p=560033&postcount=101288

Ahem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

whoops, keep mixing up Monaghan and Fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

People who support a Scottish team because of it's Irish connections but won't support a team which is actually based in Ireland.

I don't see the problem people seem to have with other people supporting English, Scottish or other teams. Supporting a team isn't something logical and it's not something you do though choice.

Most of the people who do support LOI clubs actively also support other clubs. I just don't feel any affiliation with any LOI team. I've been in to see Sligo Rovers a few times but it's fairly poor fare on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Ireland winning at the Olympics in boxing and nothing much else. A sport for working class people and travellers that outperforms other sports funded here when it comes to medals. A sport that's marginalised to the rougher parts of the country yet produces more world-class winners than better-funded sports. A sport where many of its participants wouldn't get served in plenty of pubs here. It'll be up to our boxers to prevent Ireland embarrassing itself yet again next year, at Rio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Indeed, there is nothing better than when we celebrate something we can actually be proud of.
    But sometimes it is embarrassing when we are just self praising or attention seeking. Shows really poor self esteem.

Not really sure you understand what self-esteem is, positivity is actually a reliable predictor of self-esteem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Jayop wrote: »
    Countries changing their anthems to better represent the current situation or to prevent potentially insulting some other country/people happens.

Germany, South Africa, Holland, Russia and other have all changed their anthem.

I guess this'll be an unpopular post.

no, a very reasonable post i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Ireland winning at the Olympics in boxing and nothing much else. A sport for working class people and travellers that outperforms other sports funded here when it comes to medals. A sport that's marginalised to the rougher parts of the country yet produces more world-class winners than better-funded sports. A sport where many of its participants wouldn't get served in plenty of pubs here. It'll be up to our boxers to prevent Ireland embarrassing itself yet again next year, at Rio.
    We've got a very good sailor going too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Akrasia wrote: »
    There was 2 minutes of normal time and Jimmy Cooney blew the whistle with Clare 3 points ahead

I don't think he ever refereed a championship game again

While the mistake he made was an embarrassment, it was nothing compared to the shocking behaviour of some of the gaa supporters who sent him death threats

Didn't he also admit that he didn't send off a player (Duignan) because Clare were a few points ahead.
    So also admitting to deliberately making bad decisions.

Anyways, never reffing a match again was probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Kirby42

I dunno about the most embarrassing, but the proudest moment for me was when Viktor Krum caught the snitch but Ireland still won the world cup.

• Advertisement

Not really sure you understand what self-esteem is, positivity is actually a reliable predictor of self-esteem.

Ah, I do yeah. Continuously seeking external affirmation is a reflection of poor self esteem.

fiachr_a wrote: »

Adam Nolan, katie taylor, paddy barnes and dean gardner are hardly marginalized from rougher parts of the country.

those persons who don't get served in pubs seem to have brought upon themselves.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/john-joe-nevin-told-he-will-not-get-special-treatment-in-court-1.2178550

we do have a good record international record in boxing though

Ah, I do yeah. Continuously seeking external affirmation is a reflection of poor self esteem.

I don't think they do it for external affirmation. They do it because they like to do it, they enjoy singing and supporting their team and will do so regardless of the result.

Not everyone is so concerned with what other people think of them.

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't think they do it for external affirmation. They do it because they like to do it, they enjoy singing and supporting their team and will do so regardless of the result.

Not everyone is so concerned with what other people think of them.

Okay. Shoes off to them.

Okay. Shoes off to them.

Do you go to soccer matches?

• Advertisement
Advertisement