Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Ireland winning at the Olympics in boxing and nothing much else. A sport for working class people and travellers that outperforms other sports funded here when it comes to medals. A sport that's marginalised to the rougher parts of the country yet produces more world-class winners than better-funded sports. A sport where many of its participants wouldn't get served in plenty of pubs here. It'll be up to our boxers to prevent Ireland embarrassing itself yet again next year, at Rio.

I will never understand the Katie Taylor thing. We are supposed to be proud that we have a world class female boxer? Honestly, how many people EVER watches women's boxing before or since.
    Pure guff.

deadybai wrote: »
    I agree with Ireland Call being embarrassing. I understand why its there but we must be the only team in the world to have two anthems.

Wales and Scotland don't have any anthem so use other songs that effectively became anthems.

Not sure why they didn't just go with some neutral song eg. Cockles and Mussels. They'd be better than that Ireland's Call effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

mynamejeff wrote: »

I would rather send a sheepdog to box for Ireland than a common criminal who is constantly involved in feuds who might bring home a bronze.

Shemale wrote: »
    I would rather send a sheepdog to box for Ireland than a common criminal who is constantly involved in feuds who might bring home a bronze.

Shane Horgan, Diarmuid Connolly, presumably plenty more sports stars out there have pretty serious rap sheets when it comes to assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Cyprus 5-2 Ireland, losing to Italy in rugby,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Shane Horgan, Diarmuid Connolly, presumably plenty more sports stars out there have pretty serious rap sheets when it comes to assault.

I know but the Olympic Council or Ireland are funding Nevin as an individual to represent Ireland in the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Ireland winning at the Olympics in boxing and nothing much else. A sport for working class people and travellers that outperforms other sports funded here when it comes to medals. A sport that's marginalised to the rougher parts of the country yet produces more world-class winners than better-funded sports. A sport where many of its participants wouldn't get served in plenty of pubs here. It'll be up to our boxers to prevent Ireland embarrassing itself yet again next year, at Rio.

What's the relevance of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Not exactly a sports moment but Ger Brennan writing a opinion piece full of lies in the Irish Independent was embarrassing.

Shemale wrote: »
    I know but the Olympic Council or Ireland are funding Nevin as an individual to represent Ireland in the Olympics.

Um.

Surely the obvious difference is that they were convicted of serious and violent assaults that left victims with serious injuries, broken cheekbones, eye sockets etc. Nevin wasn't.

Never mind that "yeah but like one of them gets paid by the IRFU whereas the other gets a grant and he plays as an individual" to explain the difference. If you don't like him because Horgan seems respectable whereas Nevin's a traveller, have the courage to say that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

funtime93 wrote: »
    Cyprus 5-2 Ireland, losing to Italy in rugby,

Italy have beaten us a good few times, I wouldn't say one defeat was more embarrassing than the other.

Ryan McMenamin grabbing one of the Kerry fellas by the nuts was an awkward moment, and very much out of character for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Roger_007 wrote: »
    John Delaney whinging about being beaten by the Henry hand-ball and looking to be let in to the World Cup finals as the '33rd' team.

This. Undignified.
    Getting beat out the gate by Spain in 2012 was bad too.
    60-0 was awful and God knows how kidney kept his job but at least it was on Sky Sports at 7 a.m. Or something and was "only" a summer tour match plus we'd run them agonisingly close (b@llocks scrum penalty) the week before. Excruciating viewing but not on the world scale of John Delaney's display.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Um.

Surely the obvious difference is that they were convicted of serious and violent assaults that left victims with serious injuries, broken cheekbones, eye sockets etc. Nevin wasn't.

Never mind that "yeah but like one of them gets paid by the IRFU whereas the other gets a grant and he plays as an individual" to explain the difference. If you don't like him because Horgan seems respectable whereas Nevin's a traveller, have the courage to say that.

or could it be that horgan was involved in one single incident where he paid a large sum of money as compo

and that nevin had been involved in various and assorted incidents been in court multiple times for multiple reasons ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

mynamejeff wrote:
    and that nevin had been involved in various and assorted incidents been in court multiple times for multiple reasons ?

Is it becoz im a traavler

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Anytime anyone sings 'Ole, Ole'. Does my head in. Especially when Irish people/teams are successful abroad. There's always one clown who probably thinks to himself, 'd'you know what'd be great now, a blast of 'ole, ole'. Everyone will think I am great craic for starting it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

one old assault charge is a pretty serious rap sheet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How does anyone think boxers doing well is a sporting embarrassment? Boxing is reasonably well funded compared to other sports bar the obvious big ones. The top boxers get grants to train from the state, without doing any research I would imagine the money boxing gets compares reasonably well with the money other sports receive from the state allowing for the numbers participating

salmocab wrote:
    How does anyone think boxers doing well is a sporting embarrassment? Boxing is reasonably well funded compared to other sports bar the obvious big ones. The top boxers get grants to train from the state, without doing any research I would imagine the money boxing gets compares reasonably well with the money other sports receive from the state allowing for the numbers participating

According to Paddy Barnes, they get very little state funding and rely heavily on sponsorship deals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Austria 6 Ireland 0, 1952 football friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

that time it took a last minute goal to beat san marino (the worst ranked team in uefa at the time ) 2-1 after going 1 down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ComfortKid wrote: »
    According to Paddy Barnes, they get very little state funding and rely heavily on sponsorship deals.

Yeah Im sure they aren't getting enough for the return they produce, what I mean is compared to other comparative sports. Im really wondering how anyone thinks that boxers doing well is in any way embarrassing.

Id agree on that and put it on par with losing 5-2 to Cyprus. Some people seem to think getting beat by arguably the greatest national team ever in Euro 2012 is more embarrassing though.

salmocab wrote:
    Yeah Im sure they aren't getting enough for the return they produce, what I mean is compared to other comparative sports. Im really wondering how anyone thinks that boxers doing well is in any way embarrassing.

Boxing is the one Olympic sport that we should be proud of. The only thing we can win without being drugged up or drugged up horses haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

The Croke Park agreement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

razorblunt wrote: »
    The 60-0 is the first thing to come into my head but that Horan incident where he ruined the Greek lads Marathon was awful
    I bought as many yoghurts as I could and wore a toga to work for a week to make up for it in some way.

But yeah that 60 point drubbing was atrocious.

You wasted your money.... the poor chap was Brazilian.

Almost as bad as the incident itself was John O'Donoghue, our esteemed Minister for Sport's comments afterwards that he would have no bother putting him up for a few nights in the Gresham if he was ever to make his way to Dublin.
    By way of compensation...don't you know.
    No other country on this planet could ever rear such gob****es1

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    or could it be that horgan was involved in one single incident where he paid a large sum of money as compo

As he should, he broke a guy's cheekbone.

Incidentally, where did a 22 year old get a large sum of money to pay compo? How much was paid?

Has Nevin been convicted of any similar assaults?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

crybaby wrote: »
    What a sad, pathetic individual

Worse still when he joined One Direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Correct. I know a few people involved with boxing and the elite boxers get very little in financial terms. Most amateur boxers are finished career wise by the time they hit 30 and it is very rare that they would have made enough money from amateur boxing to provide for themselves and their families for the future.

Boxers like Katie Taylor, Paddy & Co. toy with the idea of turning professional as it gives them a really good shot at building a comfortable life for themselves.

Berserker wrote:
    Boxers like Katie Taylor, Paddy & Co. toy with the idea of turning professional as it gives them a really good shot at building a comfortable life for themselves.

He says he'll turn pro after he wins a gold medal, surley he will be too old by then though. They will have to become pundits or trainers to make a living once they pass the 30ish mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before. I'd go for the ridiculous "homecoming" in the Phoenix Park after our elimination from the 94 World Cup. Unlike 1990 there was f-all to celebrate (bar the Italy win) and the squad and management were almost cringing with embarrassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

ollaetta wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before. I'd go for the ridiculous "homecoming" in the Phoenix Park after our elimination from the 94 World Cup. Unlike 1990 there was f-all to celebrate (bar the Italy win) and the squad and management were almost cringing with embarrassment.

Any excuse for a bit of a bash, I suppose, but it's definitely true that it was a somewhat cynical attempt to recapture the buzz of '90. Funnily, they may have been cringing at the time, but we'd bite the proverbial hand off to even get to a World Cup nowadays.

Didn't Pat Kenny MC the public reception? That man always brings a bit of cringe factor wherever he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Berserker wrote: »
    Correct. I know a few people involved with boxing and the elite boxers get very little in financial terms. Most amateur boxers are finished career wise by the time they hit 30 and it is very rare that they would have made enough money from amateur boxing to provide for themselves and their families for the future.

Nor should anyone make large sums of money from amateur boxing, it goes against the whole ethos of amateur sport. In other sports like golf for instance it's against to rules to earn any money as an amateur.

Anyone wanting to make a career out of boxing has to look at the pro game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Irish fans of a Premiership team booing Eircom League players in a recent exhibition match at the Aviva Stadium.

THIS ^^^

and then calling themselves the 'Greatest Supporters in the World'

Id agree on that and put it on par with losing 5-2 to Cyprus. Some people seem to think getting beat by arguably the greatest national team ever in Euro 2012 is more embarrassing though.

Getting beat? No problem with that. Getting played off the field and singing because we're just happy to be there is the embarrassing part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Being 2nd seeded in the current Euro football table but placed 4th is embarrassing.

il gatto wrote: »
    Getting beat? No problem with that. Getting played off the field and singing because we're just happy to be there is the embarrassing part.

I'm happy that the Irish fans got to go and support the team but the football played by Ireland was a real disgrace. Sadly, the new standard is just hope to make it to the finals any which way you can and then everything else is a total bonus. Roddy Collins had said the tournament would put Irish football back 20 years, and while that sounded really hyperbolous at the time, what he meant became quite apparent as events unfolded on the pitch. Not a single youngster would have been inspired by how the team played, nor would get from it the dream of one day maybe donning the shirt himself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

briany wrote: »
    Didn't Pat Kenny MC the public reception? That man always brings a bit of cringe factor wherever he goes.

Joe Duffy did in 2002, he said German and Spanish defenders were suffering from DDD (Damien Duff Dizziness) that deserves to be on the list

There was a programme on Italia 90 on RTE last night and watching the homecoming if you didn't know any better you'd swear we actually won the thing, but I suppose it was uncharted territory for the country, if we get that far again maybe we won't go as mental about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Joe Duffy did in 2002, he said German and Spanish defenders were suffering from DDD (Damien Duff Dizziness) that deserves to be on the list

There was a programme on Italia 90 on RTE last night and watching the homecoming if you didn't know any better you'd swear we actually won the thing, but I suppose it was uncharted territory for the country, if we get that far again maybe we won't go as mental about it.

The face Damien Duff made when Duffy said that was priceless. Those players were embarrassed to be there, they knew they had spurned a very realistic chance to make the semis that year as they would have faced South Korea in the quarters had they got past Spain. They actually would have met the Germans again in the semis, we could have really gotten into fairytale stuff.

The face Damien Duff made when Duffy said that was priceless. Those players were embarrassed to be there, they knew they had spurned a very realistic chance to make the semis that year as they would have faced South Korea in the quarters had they got past Spain. They actually would have met the Germans again in the semis, we could have really gotten into fairytale stuff.

That Korean side were pretty good. Maybe not in the strict technical sense, I don't know, but they were hugely buoyed up by the home support at least. That Ireland would have made it past them was no foregone conclusion.

briany wrote: »
    I'm happy that the Irish fans got to go and support the team but the football played by Ireland was a real disgrace. Sadly, the new standard is just hope to make it to the finals any which way you can and then everything else is a total bonus. Roddy Collins had said the tournament would put Irish football back 20 years, and while that sounded really hyperbolous at the time, what he meant became quite apparent as events unfolded on the pitch. Not a single youngster would have been inspired by how the team played, nor would get from it the dream of one day maybe donning the shirt himself.

The fans were great, but I was cringing at the same time.
    Roddy was right (first time I've ever said that I believe). After hearing stories of '88, '90, '94 and '02, any youngster would be dubious of their veracity after 2012.
    Great to qualify but not worth our place there unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Joe Duffy did in 2002, he said German and Spanish defenders were suffering from DDD (Damien Duff Dizziness) that deserves to be on the list.

Or when he was introducing Robbie Keane and said that the German goalkeeper, Oliver Kahn, was now being called Oliver Can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Austria 6 Ireland 0, 1952 football friendly.

I still haven't gone to Vienna such is my shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The thousands of Irish people that are quite happy to spend their money traveling to the UK every wend to watch games but have never set foot inside a LOI ground....:(

apples and something not at all like apples, don't get your point mate

apples and something not at all like apples, don't get your point mate

I suppose if people bought a season ticket for their LOI club instead of one trip to England each year, the LOI would improve and people would get to enjoy regular live football on their doorstep. It doesn't have to be top class to be competitive and enjoyable if you love the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

0-0 versus Lichtenstein.

osarusan wrote: »
    0-0 versus Lichtenstein.

A well earned point, surely? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't think anyone mentioned John Delaney ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

The thousands of Irish people that are quite happy to spend their money traveling to the UK every wend to watch games but have never set foot inside a LOI ground....:(
    I set foot inside a LOI ground one time. It was depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

realies wrote: »
    Don't think anyone mentioned John Delaney ...

No harm in bringing him up again just in case. Better safe than sorry

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote:

So your against people having a good time after spending thousands of Euros getting there? We might not get to a tournament for another 20 years

Advertisement