Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

As he should, he broke a guy's cheekbone.

Incidentally, where did a 22 year old get a large sum of money to pay compo? How much was paid?

Has Nevin been convicted of any similar assaults?

yes and he paid for it a and pleaded guilty in court

well he was a young professional international rugby player with the clear backing of lenister and the irfu.

i dont have nevins criminal record on me but the fact that he was barred from ever pub in the area and is known to the judge by reputation would suggest he isnt a stranger to the justice system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

il gatto wrote: »
    I suppose if people bought a season ticket for their LOI club instead of one trip to England each year, the LOI would improve and people would get to enjoy regular live football on their doorstep. It doesn't have to be top class to be competitive and enjoyable if you love the game.

While I do get your point, let's also be honest here - more or less every extra penny made would disappear into pockets or be squandered on players who would do very little to improve the standard, while any money invested into the development of new and young players would continue to be stuck in the 1980s, as it has been since... the 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I was in Gdansk the night of the hiding by Spain. Can't quite explain the singing but definitely not embarrassed or ashamed of it. It wasn't a case of win or lose, we're here for the booze. And it definitely wasn't "Hey, look at us..we're great". How were we to know TV stations were picking up on it? I think it was just a genuinely spontaneous outpouring of disappointment in the result but showing we were still proud of ourselves as a nation despite the football and the economy. Hard to explain.

To those who feel embarrassed by it, I can't do anything about that and you're allowed an opinion but I won't apologise or be embarrassed by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shamrock rovers being beaten by spurs in London 3-1

they lose the game but the way the rovers players and fans behaved after the final whistle you'd swear they won the game, looked pathetic

Collie D wrote: »
    I was in Gdansk the night of the hiding by Spain. Can't quite explain the singing but definitely not embarrassed or ashamed of it. It wasn't a case of win or lose, we're here for the booze. And it definitely wasn't "Hey, look at us..we're great". How were we to know TV stations were picking up on it? I think it was just a genuinely spontaneous outpouring of disappointment in the result but showing we were still proud of ourselves as a nation despite the football and the economy. Hard to explain.

To those who feel embarrassed by it, I can't do anything about that and you're allowed an opinion but I won't apologise or be embarrassed by it.

I was in Australia at the time, but a few friends went to the 2012 Euros, and this was pretty much along the lines of what they said. Basically, if you don't laugh, you will cry. All the way down to 20,000+ Irish chanting "you're never gonna believe it, you're never gonna believe it, you're never gonna believe it, the Dutch did worse than us!" when a few Dutch fans randomly popped up in Poznan before the final Italian game of the group stages.

As for the performances themselves, they were awful (trust me, I had to set my alarm for about 4am to watch some games before work) but the getting destroyed by that Spanish team was far from the worst moment in our sporting history - the guts of that team had been doing so to some off the top clubs from some of the top leagues in the world for a few years by that point. Likewise, that national team also did a number on some of the best nations in the world. That Barca/Spain core is probably the best group of players the game has ever seen (taking into account individual ability, their ability to work together, and that so many of them played for club and country together).

It would be like saying losing 60-0 to New Zealand was our most embarrassing sporting moment ever, when only one week earlier we had only lost to them by three points, scored with an 81st minute Dan Carter drop goal. To do that would be to completely forget losing to Namibia twice in one week leading up to the 1991 World Cup. That's even worse than the Cyprus loss, and possibly even worse than if we had actually lost to the Faroes.

So my nominee is John Delaney... rugby in the 1990s. But it's damn close.

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    yes and he paid for it a and pleaded guilty in court

well he was a young professional international rugby player with the clear backing of lenister and the irfu.

Actually he initially pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm, but subsequently pleaded guilty to assault.

I appreciate he paid for it. I guess that's the thing about many rugby players, they or their families are in the "can pay for it" category.

The simple fact is that Horgan, unlike Nevin, broke someone's cheekbone and put them in hospital. Let's not pretend the person with public order offences did worse just because he is a traveller.

think your missing my point

the fact that Horgan committed one offence and compensated the victim for it accepted responsibility and didnt commit another one ,

and Nevin repeated offences fraud assault public order (twice this year alone)

one punch versus a series of drunken brawls in and outside of pubs and scamming money.

but hay if you feel like you dont like rugby players thats your call,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Billy86 wrote: »
    While I do get your point, let's also be honest here - more or less every extra penny made would disappear into pockets or be squandered on players who would do very little to improve the standard, while any money invested into the development of new and young players would continue to be stuck in the 1980s, as it has been since... the 1980s.

Not necessarily. When clubs increase revenue by slowly building the fanbase and the club itself, I think that they're much more careful with it compared to a massive windfall from, say, a sugar daddy. The latter is easy come, easy go, whereas for the former, because they worked so hard for it, they take more care with spending it, choosing to go for infrastructure like the stadium, training facilities, the youth system etc.

The Under 19s National League has been a huge success for clubs that have taken it seriously. Cork City have a number of current first team regulars/squad players that graduated and the league has only been around for four seasons. We've also had two players transfer abroad , earning us a bit of money along the way. That money hasn't been squandered in inflating players' wages, it goes towards the club's infrastructure. The U17 league will allow clubs to develop players from an earlier age, so even better. Shelbourne have had similar success with their U19 side, I believe a lot of their first team started off there.

More money into the league could allow a larger youth network - U21s and a B league to bridge the gap, as well as more leagues down the age groups. The U19s, which had a wholly national top tier, was regionalised into North-South, probably in part due to clubs not being able to afford some of the costs associated with longer travel. It'd better to have an entire national top tier, as it'd allow the best to play the best year round. They still do get good experience, but it'd be that little bit better.

Bigger fanbases also increase sponsorship. Bigger crowds produce a better atmosphere, which the players feed off and which attracts more fans again and so on. It increases the general enjoyment of matches.

A strong League of Ireland is vital for a strong national team. And a strong fanbase and youth system is vital for a strong League of Ireland.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    think your missing my point

the fact that Horgan committed one offence and compensated the victim for it accepted responsibility and didnt commit another one ,

and Nevin repeated offences fraud assault public order (twice this year alone)

one punch versus a series of drunken brawls in and outside of pubs and scamming money.

but hay if you feel like you dont like rugby players thats your call,

I was responding to a poster who said they'd rather send out a dog than a traveller, and pointing out that sports stars in Ireland have done worse than anything Nevin was convicted of.

I don't know Horgan or Nevin. So I can't say whether I like or don't like either. "But hay" if you feel like making up points, that's your call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Conor McGregor.

Hasn't won anything yet acts like he's the second coming. If he was a 10 year champion like Aldo then fair enough.

To me he just looks and acts like an Orangutan that someone kicked through Topman.

• Advertisement

" If you don't like him because Horgan seems respectable whereas Nevin's a traveller, have the courage to say that."

your world no ?

Nevins being a traveller has nothing to do with him being a scumbag its just a happy coincidence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Not comparing them, but alot of the greats speak like champions before they become one.
    As Muhammad Ali says you have to tell everyone you are the greatest even if you know you're not. Cristiano Ronaldo the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

At this stage all that's being said are events mentioned before or stuff that just isn't even close to the most embarrassing sporting event ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Actually he initially pleaded not guilty to assault causing harm, but subsequently pleaded guilty to assault.

I appreciate he paid for it. I guess that's the thing about many rugby players, they or their families are in the "can pay for it" category.

The simple fact is that Horgan, unlike Nevin, broke someone's cheekbone and put them in hospital. Let's not pretend the person with public order offences did worse just because he is a traveller.

I don't think anyone has a problem with a traveller if they're well behaved. For instance, I don't see anyone giving out about Andy Lee on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Cienciano wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has a problem with a traveller if they're well behaved. For instance, I don't see anyone giving out about Andy Lee on this thread.

Andy is from traveller stock but seems quite removed from the culture (good or bad aspects. not criticising) Seems like an average sort of guy, a gent and a hard b@stard. Andy is the man.

Cienciano wrote: »

Travellers don't have to be held to a higher standard than others, everyone should be judged on their own actions, Nevin, Lee, Horgan, Connolly and so on. 2 of those sport stars have inflicted serious injuries on others.

I objected to the comment by a poster that they would rather send out a dog than Nevin. Clearly, as others have done far worse, it's fairly obvious what they objected to, and it had nothing to do with their revulsion at public order offences.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Conor McGregor.

Hasn't won anything yet acts like he's the second coming. If he was a 10 year champion like Aldo then fair enough.

To me he just looks and acts like an Orangutan that someone kicked through Topman.
    These types of posts are nothing but begrudgery and/or the very Irish mentality of "clock in, do your job, clock out, shut up" when it comes to athletes of any type. It is an individual, combat sport - you pretty much have to be somewhat arrogant to succeed from a mentality standpoint. On top of that, he openly says that he acts so over the top to get under his opponents' skin and take them out of their comfort zone (and if you've watched any of his fights, it is very obvious that this has worked extremely well for him).

The guy is 26 years old. He is less than two weeks away from potentially becoming UFC champion despite being the first Irish competitor in the company (of note, at least). He entered the UFC with a knockout of the night, jumped right off the screen with his victory interview, and has skyrocketed from there. For his second fight ever in the UFC, he completely overshadowed the main event and won the fight despite having a torn ACL for over half the fight - just think about that for a second. That is his only fight to even make it to the third round out of his last 13 (over four and half years) - he has won all of them. He has won his three fights since, winning performance of the night on all three occasions.

He has been the reason for the huge growth in the popularity of the sport in Ireland, and far from a me feiner in doing so, he has also helped a lot of Irish fighters get a crack, most of which have been very well taken. Last year he was named the MMA fighter of the year and breakthrough fighter of the year. He is probably the biggest draw and most entertaining fighter in the entire UFC already, and is the favourite with every major bookmaker to beat Aldo on July 11th, if the fight does go ahead.

He knows what he is doing, and he is doing it excellently. He is obviously a far cry from the poster boy for Irish sports that little kids would emulate, but he is a hell of an example for any young fighter about how to conduct themselves fearlessly, how to carry and market themselves (it is a profession after all, one that typically lasts 15 years tops), how to approach the sport mentally, how to master various different techniques and disciplines, as well as keeping oneself in absolute peak physical condition. With how well we tend to do in boxing for a nation our size, there is serious growth potential for the Irish within the UFC/MMA worlds, and he has been an absolute pioneer for us in this respect.

Your last line did make me laugh though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Actually, the UFC has grown massively over the last 15 years or so, long before McGregor showed up, and is at the very least a preferable alternative to boxing in terms of dangers.

McGregor has just caused the growth in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Um.

Surely the obvious difference is that they were convicted of serious and violent assaults that left victims with serious injuries, broken cheekbones, eye sockets etc. Nevin wasn't.

Never mind that "yeah but like one of them gets paid by the IRFU whereas the other gets a grant and he plays as an individual" to explain the difference. If you don't like him because Horgan seems respectable whereas Nevin's a traveller, have the courage to say that.

Pathetic anti Traveller part. :rolleyes:

So Nevin won't be convicted, is that your assertion? Nevin was previously done for being aggressive to a Garda and involved in a brawl at a house where he ended up with a broken leg, you are absolutely right this is the exact type of person to represent Ireland!!

I never said I agreed with Connolly and Horgan, they have a duty as does John Joe to conduct themselves properly and be a good example to the kids in the country. The Dublin and Ireland/ Leinster selectors are wrong for picking them. Is your proposition to punish the entire team because of an individual being involved in a once off incident on a night out.

Nevin is in control of his own destiny and and is constantly involved in public order ****e, this is the issue I have. A scumbag is a scumbag no matter what their ethnicity.

I would much rather they gave all the money they give Nevin to Taylor, arguably the best Irish sports person ever who conducts herself as she should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

ComfortKid wrote: »
    According to Paddy Barnes, they get very little state funding and rely heavily on sponsorship deals.

Whatever boxing, thanks to the bandwagon syndrone, gets now, it has to be more than it was getting in 1992 when Michael Carruth won gold at Barcelona. He was boxing out of a premises in Crumlin/Drimnagh which was letting in rain through the roof. Put that in the context of Ireland's Olympic medal haul 1924-1988:
    Athletics 3-0-0
    Boxing 0-2-5 ( 1-3-5 after Barcelona.)
    Sailing 0-1-0
    To add insult to injury, a certain government minister gave oodles of lottery money to golf clubs, in pursuance, don't you know, of stated government policy of funding sport among the under-privileged classes. Guess which constituency's golf clubs were deemed the most deprived. At the time inner city Dublin was crying out for sporting facilities. Sean Sorensen was keen to promote tennis there for instance and was prepared to lend a hand. Did I hear someone say they were embarrassed by some soccer defeat or other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Getting beat? No problem with that. Getting played off the field and singing because we're just happy to be there is the embarrassing part.

If I pay good money to travel to Poland, and more to get into a game, I'll sing " Pop goes the weasel" if I feel like. The customer is boss. Must we go into mourning if we lose a game? I'm proud of those supporters in Poland. Most of the world may live a lie in proclaiming that it's not the winning that matters most. Our supporters in Poland stayed true to the ideal.
    **** the begrudgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Travellers don't have to be held to a higher standard than others, everyone should be judged on their own actions, Nevin, Lee, Horgan, Connolly and so on. 2 of those sport stars have inflicted serious injuries on others.

You should learn to read, but let me explain...

Nobody said rather sent a dog than a Traveller, that is a lovely little lie you made up so you could show the world just how pro Traveller you are.

Nobody said Travellers have to be held to a higher than others, care to clarify what you mean by "others" Mr Equality as I find that comment offensive to settled people.

Patww79 wrote:

He's selling out stadiums, set to make a ppv buy record. Embarrassment alright.

Billy86 wrote:
    McGregor has just caused the growth in this country.

Thats exactly what the post said, Connor is responsible for the sudden growth of UFC in Ireland. A good few people followed it anyway, but Connor has got alot of people on board, and alot of people who have probably never watched MMA will be tuning in. My 73 year old grandfather can't wait for it, he's a massive boxing fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I suppose if people bought a season ticket for their LOI club instead of one trip to England each year, the LOI would improve and people would get to enjoy regular live football on their doorstep. It doesn't have to be top class to be competitive and enjoyable if you love the game.

Yea and if my aunt had balls.

Thats exactly what the post said, Connor is responsible for the sudden growth of UFC in Ireland. A good few people followed it anyway, but Connor has got alot of people on board, and alot of people who have probably never watched MMA will be tuning in. My 73 year old grandfather can't wait for it, he's a massive boxing fan.

Oh I know, my point was that the UFC (while it has grown still since McGregor's arrival) was very established on a more global scale before he came along - the PPVs often work out to be on a Sunday afternoon in Australia and have been massive in North America (and I would assume Brazil) for a long time. However it was still niche in Ireland... it is not any more.

Moral of the story basically, is that Dana White is possibly the biggest genius in all of sports (at least from a branding/marketing point of view). I was briefly quite big into it in the late 90s but faded out to being a casual viewer - that said, the difference in the sport between now and when I saw Tank Abbott against some giant Pacific Islander who "breaks people in his tribes bones for training" is absolute night and day, and for the better.

It will take time to really get enough evidence to be conclusive, but my guess is we see a lot of broken bodies from UFC retirees down the line, but nothing like the brain injuries you see in boxing or the NFL. I don't think there is much wrong with a former athlete having a broken body (McGrath without the drink problem as an example); it's seeing punch drunk boxers become desolate, or former NFL stars driving off cliffs, shooting themselves in the chest with a shotgun just so their brains could be examined, or falling off the back of a truck, dying at 25, and being found to have the brain of a 70 year old from a lifetime of concussions that is much, much scarier.

Billy86 wrote:
    Oh I know, my point was that the UFC (while it has grown still since McGregor's arrival) was very established on a more global scale before he came along - the PPVs often work out to be on a Sunday afternoon in Australia and have been massive in North America (and I would assume Brazil) for a long time. However it was still niche in Ireland... it is not any more.

Ya it has been massive on the global stage for a good few years now, but there was very few in Ireland that knew anything about it until last year.I started watching it in the late 90s or early 00s because my favourite WWF wrestler Ken Shamrock was in it. Then the likes of Tito Ortiz, Tank, Silva kept me watching but I have to admit I hadn't watched it in about 5 years till this cheeky, loud mouth Paddy came along. Some people seem to think it's all because of his thrash talk and that is how he sells himself but the man is a serious fighter, people can't get near him. This should be as big as any Irish boxer fighting if not bigger. He has to win though. If he does it could inspire the next generation to start MMA rather than boxing. We have the potential to become a big player in Ufc seems we are fairly handy at combat sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Working class people jumping on the rugby bandwagon. Sad.

I'd consider that attitude quite "embarrassing"

It's exactly that kind of shìte that propagates and perpetuates social division by "class".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

He's selling out stadiums, set to make a ppv buy record. Embarrassment alright.

Aldo v McGregor won't break the UFC ppv record ffs. Also what stadium has he sold out? Never mind stadiums.

As for being responsible for the surge in popularity of the sport, Irish folk would jump on the tiddly winks bandwagon if that ever became popular. It doesn't last long, the attention span of your so called sports mad Irish fan isn't that long.

I'm sure he's a good fighter, but he's still untested if you're honest with yourself.

And I'm sure he has a great following amongst the very niche but also very loyal and small amount of knowledgable Irish MMA fans. But the majority are attracted to his schtick as a poster boy for your typical gurrier. No matter how much they ****e on about arm bars and kimura locks etc....

No doubt I'll be called a begrudger, seems to be a popular word spun whenever someone is anti-McGregor.

Also, MMA has plateaued in terms of its popularity on a world level. 5 years ago it was gaining massive ground on its closest competitors but attendances and PPV buys have fallen and stagnated respectively.

Aldo v McGregor won't break the UFC ppv record ffs. Also what stadium has he sold out? Never mind stadiums.

Isn't it sold out for 11th July

No doubt I'll be called a begrudger, seems to be a popular word spun whenever someone is anti-McGregor.

Popular because it's true. Were embarrassed by just about everything we do it seems.

And I was talking about record breaking ppv buys from Ireland which he is set to. We are talking about Ireland here not worldwide!

Isn't it sold out for 11th July

I repeat the question to you, what stadium has he sold out?

He is officially fighting Chad Mendes now by the way, not Aldo.

And I was talking about record breaking ppv buys from Ireland which he is set to. We are talking about Ireland here not worldwide!

It's not on PPV in Ireland.

I'd like you to tell me whose record of PPVs he is beating?

• Advertisement

I repeat the question to you, what stadium has he sold out?

I wont repeat my answer. Ignore all my other points so?

I wont repeat my answer. Ignore all my other points so?

MGM grand is not a stadium.

What points have I ignored?

MGM grand is not a stadium.

Stadium or arena what's the difference? You pulling me on that proves you just want an argument!

Yeah your right, sorry. Record number if views so. I haven't got the numbers but I'd say he'll double the previous record. Not many people here watch ufc until this fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The GAA,

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

uch wrote: »
    The GAA,

I'll never forget that moment

Yea and if my aunt had balls.

Would she donate them to a needy league of Ireland club? Your point? I'm just surmising what someone else suggested.

feargale wrote: »
    If I pay good money to travel to Poland, and more to get into a game, I'll sing " Pop goes the weasel" if I feel like. The customer is boss. Must we go into mourning if we lose a game? I'm proud of those supporters in Poland. Most of the world may live a lie in proclaiming that it's not the winning that matters most. Our supporters in Poland stayed true to the ideal.
    **** the begrudgers.

I don't live that particular lie. Sport is competitive. You play to win. Being there for the sing-song is not an ideal I subscribe to. Of course it's up to you if you want to sing. And it's up to others if they think it's inappropriate. And cringing a little is hardly mourning. Play to win but if you lose, life goes on. Rare that I'm not over it within the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Irish fans of a Premiership team booing Eircom League players in a recent exhibition match at the Aviva Stadium.

Eircom are marketing geniuses :D

They haven't sponsored the league since 2008

Shemale wrote: »
    Pathetic anti Traveller part. :rolleyes:

So Nevin won't be convicted, is that your assertion? Nevin was previously done for being aggressive to a Garda and involved in a brawl at a house where he ended up with a broken leg, you are absolutely right this is the exact type of person to represent Ireland!!

I never said I agreed with Connolly and Horgan, they have a duty as does John Joe to conduct themselves properly and be a good example to the kids in the country. The Dublin and Ireland/ Leinster selectors are wrong for picking them. Is your proposition to punish the entire team because of an individual being involved in a once off incident on a night out.

Nevin is in control of his own destiny and and is constantly involved in public order ****e, this is the issue I have. A scumbag is a scumbag no matter what their ethnicity.

I would much rather they gave all the money they give Nevin to Taylor, arguably the best Irish sports person ever who conducts herself as she should.

I don't know where to start really!

So much gibberish, something about punishing a team and being rude to Garda being worse, apparently, than breaking bones in violent assaults because the latter was "once off" and "on a night out", and predicting the outcome of the Nevin case thus dismissing the whole concept of innocent until proven guilty and so on.
    Shemale wrote: »
    You should learn to read, but let me explain...

Nobody said rather sent a dog than a Traveller, that is a lovely little lie you made up so you could show the world just how pro Traveller you are.

Nobody said Travellers have to be held to a higher than others, care to clarify what you mean by "others" Mr Equality as I find that comment offensive to settled people.

I see you're rather cross.

I've offended "settled people"? I didn't even know you were their spokesperson! I might reply when I finish laughing at your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

'Irish by birth munster by the grace of god'

And that whole bandwagon that rolled from 2000 to 2009. Cant fill Thomand at all now. Where have all those loyal fans from Kildare, Longford, Sligo, Wexford etc go?
    And the bizarre affinity they had to Limerick dockers.

iDave wrote: »

And that whole bandwagon that rolled from 2000 to 2009. Cant fill Thomand at all now. Where have all those loyal fans from Kildare, Longford, Sligo, Wexford etc go?

Little flags on people carriers - "Stand Up and Fight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Substitute Manchester United or Liverpool in there and it's just as bizarre but people won't agree with that. There's almost a universal acceptance of it in this country. In my job, there was a Clare lad getting dogs abuse for wearing a Dublin jersey from a load of fellas. The main instigator was a Tipperary lad with a huge Liverpool FC tattoo right across his shoulder blades. Absolutely blinkered.

Sligo? Leave us out of it. People followed Leinster and Ulster just as much as Munster here. You get used to living vicariously as Connacht fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Omackeral wrote: »
    The main instigator was a Tipperary lad with a huge Liverpool FC tattoo right across his shoulder blades. Absolutely blinkered.

Does he carry a roll of "Don't buy the S*n, Justice for the 96" stickers as well? Funny as hell when you see grown men from here sticking them in the toilets in Dublin airport and giving them out to people reading that paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement