Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most embarrassing Irish sporting moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Berserker wrote: »
    Does he carry a roll of "Don't buy the S*n, Justice for the 96" stickers as well? Funny as hell when you see grown men from here sticking them in the toilets in Dublin airport and giving them out to people reading that paper.

No but another fella from here gets the Sun and he wears a Pool jersey every other day and calls them 'us'. I couldn't give a toss about who follows who etc in England but even that one was a bit of a shocker on me. I said it to him and he was kind of bewildered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭brian_7070

Little flags on people carriers - "Stand Up and Fight"

Wear your Munster jersey to work Friday seemed to replace casual Friday in very office in Munster around that time too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Lucena wrote: »
    I could be misremembering this, but I seem to remember that 'part of the takings' were to go to the Omagh bombing victims, but without any mention of how much. Do you have any info, links or the like?

Incidentally, the whole Offaly - Clare thing was a shambles in retrospect. I was in Croke Park for the replay (as an Offaly fan) and we were absolutely furious when the ref blew for full time, and I was part of the pitch invasion. Clare were robbed as in all likelihood they would have won being 3 points ahead with 5 minutes to go.
    I was at the replay in Semple Stadium and it was a magical day out for Offaly fans, was ecstatic when we won. At the time it felt like justice was done, but looking back, Clare were the victims.

IIRC tickets were very much reduced for the re-replay in Thurles, something like a fiver. Some money was donated to charity , you're right.

Jimmy Cooney blew the game up 2 mins early. Clare were 3 points up with Barry Murphy (Clare forward) in possession about 30 yards from the Offaly goal looking like he was about to shoot for a point.

Clare definitely ran out of steam in the 3rd game and we were missing Brian Lohan and Colin Lynch since the Munster final debacle against Waterford and eventually a good Offaly side won the series.

I was at all 3 games and was disappointed by the sit - in and Loughnane agreeing to the replay. He said afterwards that the GAA promised him that Lynch would be back but I doubt this happened. Clare were hated countrywide as we were seen to get uppedy after winning a couple of All irelands and 3 Munster titles in 4 years.

I think Loughnane and Clare were trying to soften peoples attitudes to us by readily agreeing a replay, look where it got us! Gracious of you to say that Clare were the victims. We never won anything again until 2013.

Why do we have mental managers in Clare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I don't know where to start really!

You really shouldn't have started seeing as you don't read/ comprehend anything and post utter rubbish.

You roll in with your pro Traveller bollox when I never said anything about him being a Traveller but it's ludicrous to suggest you are anti settled people because you are so pro Traveller, your brain needs examining mate.
    predicting the outcome of the Nevin case thus dismissing the whole concept of innocent until proven guilty and so on.

He is in court for at least the third time, I have never been in court because I am not a scumbag, it's very simple. You should become a lawman in America, get rid of their stupid three strikes rules and lock up anyone that has even been convicted of any crime for life.

You are absolutely correct, why don't we send John Gilligan to the Olympics, he is meant to be a decent boxer and only has one conviction.
    I see you're rather cross.

I've offended "settled people"? I didn't even know you were their spokesperson! I might reply when I finish laughing at your post.

Have a laugh at yourself, accusing someone in print of discrimination against an ethnic group without any evidence is so far past stupid, we need a new word for you.

Shemale wrote: »
    You really shouldn't have started seeing as you don't read/ comprehend anything and post utter rubbish.
    ...your brain needs examining mate.

You are absolutely correct, why don't we send John Gilligan to the Olympics, he is meant to be a decent boxer and only has one conviction.

You seem to be getting angrier and angrier!

Look I'll agree with you. Sending John Gilligan to the Olympics was exactly what I said, your comprehension is bang on and you don't post rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Has Gilligan really only got one conviction? I assumed he hd a rap sheet as long as your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

uch wrote: »
    The GAA,

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Care to elaborate?

I'll try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

osarusan wrote: »

That's RTE not the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Care to elaborate?

I wouldn't waste your time with that if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

John Delaney

John Delaneys Father

FAI spend a fortune on the Genisis report which tells them to effectively stop voting in Family,friends and relatives to lead the FAI,FAI elects John Delaney to lead the FAI.

John Delaney gets 400k salary.

John Delaney wants 33rd team for hand ball.

John Delaney gets dollybird girlfriend.

John Delaney needs us all to know about dolly girlfriend.

John Delaney releases press statement that Sepp Blatter asks him how HE got dolly bird girlfriend and John told him to "move on"after he got the 5m.
    John Delaney kisses dolly in front of 50,000 supporters and cabinet minister and asks"did you see my new dollybird girlfriend".

John Delaneys dolly goes on TV and radio and says John is a big Teddy.

John Delaneys shoes.
    John Delaneys tie.

John Delaney and dolly do the Irish media again complaining about trolls.
    John Delaney

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Has Gilligan really only got one conviction? I assumed he hd a rap sheet as long as your arm.

IIRC he only got done for distribution, he got off the Guerin murder charge and CAB is normally used if they cant get you on anything else more serious.

Just trying to simplify things for Conor, he really struggled with my first post and has been catching up since. Born in 1974 and judging by his poor level of reading and comprehension he is still in 1st class.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

tipptom wrote: »
    John Delaney

John Delaneys Father

FAI spend a fortune on the Genisis report which tells them to effectively stop voting in Family,friends and relatives to lead the FAI,FAI elects John Delaney to lead the FAI.

John Delaney releases press statement that Sepp Blatter asks him how HE got dolly bird girlfriend and John told him to "move on"after he got the 5m.
    John Delaney kisses dolly in front of 50,000 supporters and cabinet minister and asks"did you see my new dollybird girlfriend".

John Delaneys shoes.
    John Delaneys tie.

John Delaney
    to be fair he did help gets us a few games for Euro 2020 probably the only time we will every get to host such a major event

tipptom wrote: »
    John Delaney

John Delaneys Father

John Delaneys shoes.
    John Delaneys tie.

John Delaney

And you missed the drinking and singing as clubs here went under for debts a fraction of his earnings, and employees of those clubs lost their jobs.

But the rants about the girlfriend were toe curling stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

LorMal wrote: »
    Ah, I do yeah. Continuously seeking external affirmation is a reflection of poor self esteem.

Self esteem is a part of well being for the individual LorMal, it has nothing to do with supporting or positively supporting a sports team or country.

External affirmation, different to what you said, is connected with a need for external affirmation of achievements, skills or personality traits innate for tje individual as it holds some personal value to then. Supporting a sports team can't psychologically be part of someone's SE.

In fact, feeling shame or embarrasment from sports teams is actually a better predictor of poor self esteem as your attaching value and worth, in this case feeling actual personal shame, to an event/team rather than being able to completely detach from it like someone with normal to high individual self esteem would be able to.

In this case the shame is derived from perceived negative perceptions from others (people from other nations?)towards Ireland on.a personal level. Attributing negative affect to yourself from events which are mot directly related to you is a reliable predictor of low self esteem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

LorMal wrote: »
    I will never understand the Katie Taylor thing. We are supposed to be proud that we have a world class female boxer? Honestly, how many people EVER watches women's boxing before or since.
    Pure guff.

Ah disregard that previous post you seem to be preoccupied with protecting your self-esteem by derogating world class athletes in order not to be seen badly by other people, another predictor of low sekf esteem

IIRC he only got done for distribution, he got off the Guerin murder charge and CAB is normally used if they cant get you on anything else more serious.

Just trying to simplify things for Conor, he really struggled with my first post and has been catching up since. Born in 1974 and judging by his poor level of reading and comprehension he is still in 1st class.

Ouch!

This so so vicious and sustained, please give me a break. I'll forget that you said you'd rather see a dog represent Ireland than Nevin, I'll accept that I made the Gilligan for Ireland post...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Gilligan is only a little fella anyway, a good street scrapper in his day maybe but he'd be shown up inside a boxing ring.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Omackeral wrote:
    No but another fella from here gets the Sun and he wears a Pool jersey every other day and calls them 'us'. I couldn't give a toss about who follows who etc in England but even that one was a bit of a shocker on me. I said it to him and he was kind of bewildered.

And you missed the drinking and singing as clubs here went under for debts a fraction of his earnings, and employees of those clubs lost their jobs.

So a man isn't allowed drink or sing on his time off? Would the price of a few pints save these clubs?
    And to be fair, if the FAI forked out money to save a club, then every club would spend beyond their means and expect a handout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 ticklemetoe

any womens gaa, they are rough looking birds. the shame of ireland.

I'll forget that you said you'd rather see a dog represent Ireland than Nevin, I'll accept that I made the Gilligan for Ireland post...

;)

I have no issue with you quoting my post but I found you saying I said rather see a dog than a traveller quite offensive.

Gilligan for gold :D

Gilligan is only a little fella anyway, a good street scrapper in his day maybe but he'd be shown up inside a boxing ring.:D

Go on say it to his face :eek:

ComfortKid wrote: »
    So a man isn't allowed drink or sing on his time off? Would the price of a few pints save these clubs?
    And to be fair, if the FAI forked out money to save a club, then every club would spend beyond their means and expect a handout.

What are you on about?

Who said he could not drink or sing? Maybe the point was that it looks a bit inappropriate while the game here, both at club and international level, seems to be facing serious problems. If it's standard, by all means show me clips of the heads of the GAA, the IRFU etc. on the tear. Or your beloved Celtic, or the Scottish FA etc. etc.

Who said the price of a pint would save a club? What's that about? It sounds like nonsense. Which poster said it? Could you link the exact phrase where anyone said clubs would be saved for the price of a pint?

Who said the FAI would have to pay money to cover the debts? That sounds like nonsense to me. Perhaps there were alternatives that simply involved things like the head of the FAI hauling himself out of the pubs of Poland, stopping the party, heading home and seeing if talks could be set up to do a deal with creditors etc.

Could you actually deal with the post as written?

Anyway, it's Irish football. What do you care? Wouldn't you be more gripped by events at Forfar and Queen of the South and finding the green white and gold on Celtics socks?

any womens gaa, they are rough looking birds. the shame of ireland.

Google Anna Geary

Who said the price of a pint would save a club? What's that about? It sounds like nonsense. Which poster said it? Could you link the exact phrase where anyone said clubs would be saved for the price of a pint?

I quoted the post. "All his drinking and singing as clubs here went under" What did you mean by that then? You've anger issues I'd say, calm down! Bringing up posts from a different thread which has nothing to do with this, what's the point of that Connor lad?

I quoted the post. What did you mean by that then? You've anger issues I'd say, calm down! Bringing up posts from a different thread which has nothing to do with this, what's the point of that Connor lad?

By "all his drinking and singing as clubs here went under" I meant ""all his drinking and singing as clubs here went under". What's the complex bit?

Anger issues? Oh dear, that old lame line!

I find Delaney hilarious. Out on the lash and singing for fans who are laughing at him? It's so pathetic you can only laugh. And laugh at those who would defend it. It's not remotely defensible.

I was annoyed with him years ago as the collapse in football here became so apparent, clubs going under, the national team declining, finances at the stage where journos were not allowed question accounts. I think the singing and drinking and ravings about his girlfriend and punching Sepp Blatter made him a figure of ridicule and fun.

Anyway, enough about football here. What news of Queen of the South these days? What does the girlfriend of the CEO of Celtic or the Scottish FA look like and what's their party song?

Again, bringing up stuff from a different thread, what is the point of that, seriously. An attempt to insult me, a bad attempt at that.
    For what it's worth, I agree with you. Delaney is a total flute, I just didn't see how him having a drink or singing had any relevance to clubs here going under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Again, bringing up stuff from a different thread, what is the point of that, seriously. An attempt to insult me, a bad attempt at that.
    For what it's worth, I agree with you. Delaney is a total flute, I just didn't see how him having a drink or singing had any relevance to clubs here going under.

are you serious???

he is the head of the FAI, he shoudlnt be out getting langered and partying away when some teams under the FAI go down the swanny.....Akin to a business director going on holidays when a part of their business desperately needs their attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Patww79 wrote: »

I doubt it.

Most of the people with a new focus on LOI have nothing but completely hare-brained ideas about reform such as to tear it up and make teams for the English leagues, make county teams, make an All Ireland league, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

They don't have to give struggling clubs handouts. But it'd be a start if they put some of the million euro a year that the League of Ireland generates back into it.

Monaghan United withdrew from the league over a debt of €10,000. The registration fees for a Premier Division club are €19,000. The minimum prize money is €5,000 (only the top two make a profit). That's their debt right there and then some. If even just the registration fees and sponsorship money were fully re-invested, never mind the massive UEFA grants, then we wouldn't have a situation where clubs are in debt just for signing up to the league.

We're not asking for the FAI to "fork out money". We're asking them not to take LoI money out of the LoI. We're asking them to stop using the League of Ireland as a cash cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

iDave wrote: »
    Google Anna Geary
    And Sarah Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

"Hey Sepp, can you completely revamp the format of the World Cup to allow us to be team 33? France didn't play fair. From your bestie, Johnny D xxx"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Higgins making death threats against Taylor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Higgins making death threats against Taylor

That was a Brit threat to a Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Google Anna Geary

Overrated and far better out there. And I'm from Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

salmocab wrote: »
    the 60 nil loss to NZ was the morning of my wedding, every time I look at the wife I have to think of that game.

harsh, I'm just glad I went to the first of those 3 and not that one!

Overrated and far better out there. And I'm from Cork

Would love to see the models your banging so.

That was a Brit threat to a Paddy.

Both for Norn Iron

Google Anna Geary
    Would love to see the models your banging so.

She is average at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

She is average at best

He's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

She is average at best

Lets be civil here- remember it's an amateur sport!

But yeah she is a bit too pram faced for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Irish players getting 8k a piece to leave Lionel alonebiggrin.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

The face Damien Duff made when Duffy said that was priceless. Those players were embarrassed to be there, they knew they had spurned a very realistic chance to make the semis that year as they would have faced South Korea in the quarters had they got past Spain. They actually would have met the Germans again in the semis, we could have really gotten into fairytale stuff.

I've heard of this before. Didn't Duffy try to start a sing-song or something aswell?

Is there any footage anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've heard of this before. Didn't Duffy try to start a sing-song or something aswell?

Is there any footage anywhere?

Here it is in full, skip on to about 5.10 to see Damien Duff cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DG7

I respect the guy for being very good at his sport. I also understand the showmanship being part and parcel of UFC but I find Conor McGregor to be quite embarrassing in some of his press conferences

• Advertisement
Advertisement