Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford Marathon

• 28-06-2015 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Can't see a thread for this. Anyone signed up for this one or have any feedback to share from previous years? What's it like in terms of running a pb, crowd support, organization etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm hoping to do the Half in preparation for Berlin 4 weeks later.
    The course (I ran the full about 6 years ago) is very rural and mainly flat. Not a whole lot of support on the route.
    There is a stretch in the closing stages alongside the main Sligo road and that was quite off putting with traffic whizzing by.
    The route may have changed slightly since then but pretty sure it's 95% the same at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Have done this twice before, I dont remember it being very hilly,but it can be a lonely run as some of the roads are well off the beaten track, it can get a bit windy on the main roads aswell. a good finish on the main street in longford town. very well organised. Both times i did it i drove there and entered on the day always a great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nd7

could I get lost then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lostnfound

Nd7 wrote: »
    could I get lost then ?

I did this last year, you won't get lost. I did drive the course the night before just to have an idea what was ahead of me.

It's a good race, very small field for the full and can be lonely. I intended to do it at a much slower pace that my normal and at the start got chatting to another guy and ran with him for the first 16 miles and realised that I was much faster than intended (would have finished about 25 minutes faster than I planned) so I slowed it down and took my time - was on my own for a good chunk of the last 10 but I may have been between paces.

A well organised race and I recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

The website says water approximately every three miles. Is this reliable and is it bottles with sports caps or the dreaded choke inducing plastic cups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Plodman wrote: »
    The website says water approximately every three miles. Is this reliable and is it bottles with sports caps or the dreaded choke inducing plastic cups

If I remember it was bottles. What was interesting was tables with bottles of water and/or cups of energy drinks on quiet country lanes with nobody manning them - help yourself job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Are all these quiet country lanes closed off to traffic? Surely it would be a massive operation to close down so many rural roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anybody run this in 2015 or planning on running 2016?

I haven't heard much about it before but it looks like a good option for me timewise.

Haven't trained consistently since DCM 2013, time to get stuck into a program now if I want to marathon in August! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

hardCopy wrote: »
    Anybody run this in 2015 or planning on running 2016?

I haven't heard much about it before but it looks like a good option for me timewise.

Haven't trained consistently since DCM 2013, time to get stuck into a program now if I want to marathon in August! :eek:

I did the half a few times and loved it. I know Meno did the full, think its a fairly lonely marathon as numbers and support are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

Was thinking of doing it this year.
    For a possible sub 3, if training goes to plan between now & then
    Would be a little put off by the lonlieness, looking at last years results there were very few faster runners.
    Also the time of year, might be potential to get a bit too warm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    Was thinking of doing it this year.
    For a possible sub 3, if training goes to plan between now & then
    Would be a little put off by the lonlieness, looking at last years results there were very few faster runners.
    Also the time of year, might be potential to get a bit too warm

True, 10am start would have most people finishing in decent heat if it's a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭webpal

I'm planning on doing this, have the hotel booked. I've heard good reports on it and the loneliness doesnt bother me. I'm well used to it. So used to it in fact that I've often scared the sh1te out of meself thinking I was being attached by a Labrador when in fact it was my own hand in the corner of my eye.

I did it last year and was on my own from 13 miles to the finish. It is quite lonely and a lot of running on secondary roads where the surface isn't the smoothest. Having said that I really enjoyed it last year. It's an easier marathon than Dublin if the loneliness doesn't bother you. Very few faster runners as mentioned above so anyone looking to break 3 hours would want to be prepared to do a lot of it on their own. Good for mental strength too

I did my first sub 3 in Longford. If they persist with having a sub 3 pacer I think its a perfect race for a sub 3 attempt - run the racing line, no hold up at water stops, etc.

If this isn't a bit self-indulgent here's my report from 2014: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91956712&postcount=72

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Did the half in '14 and '15. Well organised race, pleasant roads, quite flat. Crowds are small but its well marshalled so getting lost shouldn't be a concern. Finishes on the main street and decent goody bag afteward IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Bump.

Anyone else doing this? Looking forward to it myself.

Yep - I'm in again

Yeah I'm hoping to do it again. Nice race, well organised and for a good cause too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

Yep. Looking forward to it now. Tapering time

Well - how did everyone get on? I was running comfortably for 16 miles when all of a sudden I fell apart - had to manage my pace so as not to come to a complete stop and came home in 3:05. Beautiful day but have to think the sun had an impact on times today. At least I finished in time to get home for the Dubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Well - how did everyone get on? I was running comfortably for 16 miles when all of a sudden I fell apart - had to manage my pace so as not to come to a complete stop and came home in 3:05. Beautiful day but have to think the sun had an impact on times today. At least I finished in time to get home for the Dubs :)

Same as myself. DNF for me. Gutted. Got to about the same point as yourself and my pace fell alarmingly. Struggled on until nearly 20 miles but with a Croke Park ticket in my arse pocket the appeal of walking/jogging to the finish for a modest time and missing the first half held little appeal. Still crushed not to finished though.

Yeah heat was the killer. Typical. Spent the entire training plan under a blanket of clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

Nice run and well organised.

Goody bag and medal were decent but they ran out of T shirts which pissed a lot of people off considering it cost €40 for the half marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Similar to other lads, got as far as 20 miles and exploded. Limped home the rest, only consolation was that I had lots of company in the same state. Took on the race to see how far off I was ahead of Dublin - conclusion - more to do:)

Good friendly race, relaxed atmosphere, lots of room on the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ginger runner

A similar story for me. Was going well until 19 miles then it was a walk/run strategy to get me home. That heat is a serious energy sapper. Really enjoyable race though, superbly organised, great goody bag and a friendly atmosphere. Water/Energy stations were top class. We stayed 2 nights so got to attend the pasta party on Saturday evening and a few pints of guinness after the marathon on Sunday. 3:43:37 for me so happy to get under the 3:45, roll on Dublin and the cooler temperatures

First time ever that I dropped out of a marathon.
    Dropped out at 20 miles as I was coming to a standstill. No point struggling the last 6 miles with Dublin on the horizon. I'll concentrate on recovery and get back training for Dublin.
    I need to assess what went wrong though; not sure I can blame the heat completely for my fall off in pace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

Somehow I managed to avoid blowing up as I was firmly glued to the 3:30 pacer's shoulder. I was so close to him that his balloon kept hitting me in the head :). He did an excellent job and got myself and another guy comfortably under 3:30 (3:28:47).

It's a 9 minute PB for me with far from ideal preparation so I'm beyond chuffed.

I'll definitely be doing the race again; very well organised with plenty of close parking, lovely medal and packed goody bags.

Reminder to myself for next race though - don't tuck empty gel packets in your shorts during a marathon as you'll forget about them and end up with cuts and friction burns :(

Advertisement