Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a Fred

Options
  • 28-06-2015 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Just wondering what are people's views about other competitors in triathlon. I work long hours, start at 4am and finish at 4pm, have a wife and a small kid. I train as much as I can but with everything else it's hard to put in too many hours. With any spare cash I like to buy all the gimmicks, nice bike etc but I've little or no talent. I've only done a handful of races but I've gotten the feeling people are laughing at me for having good stuff and bein ****e. Anybody else like me???

Comments

pot p wrote: »
    Just wondering what are people's views about other competitors in triathlon. I work long hours, start at 4am and finish at 4pm, have a wife and a small kid. I train as much as I can but with everything else it's hard to put in too many hours. With any spare cash I like to buy all the gimmicks, nice bike etc but I've little or no talent. I've only done a handful of races but I've gotten the feeling people are laughing at me for having good stuff and bein ****e. Anybody else like me???

Course there are. There's probably arseholes laughing at you too, but f**k them! Youre keeping fit/healthy and spending your hard earned cash on a hobby you enjoy - long may it continue! Just keep on enjoying yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

It's a healthy hobbie. Spend as much or a little as you want (or what she said you're allowed to :P). Enjoy it any way you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

If you are last you bet any DNFs, even if their intermediate times are impressive. Beyond that there's a whole bunch that wouldn't be brave enough to make the start line. Carpe diem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I wouldn't worry about it too be honest. Haven't seen it happen too much in any races I've done really and I'd say the majority are in the same position as yourself. People spend what they can afford on gear, if we could afford it we would all be on top of the range bikes. If you can afford it and want it I wouldn't worry what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Don't compare yourself to the others in the race... compare yourself to those who did not race at all & probably cannot swim, cycle or run - never mind all three at one event. Also you are improving surely so just keep going & enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

There's probably a bit of that in all of us. Have a look at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHOJ2814J9Q. Basically its saying its who's in the saddle that counts not who has the most expensive bike but it doesnt stop us all the same. Same could be said for wetsuits. As long as you recognise that the equipment isnt going to make you any better.

You may as well look good being ****e. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

joey100 wrote: »
    People spend what they can afford on gear, if we could afford it we would all be on top of the range bikes. If you can afford it and want it I wouldn't worry what other people think.

+1 on that.

Any club spin or meet has a large amount of chat about what people would like to buy etc. To hell with jealousy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

you are lapping the people on the couch!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

try not to worry about other peoples views re. your kit, your time would be way better spent on working towards a more positive attitude.

Maybe if you do have spare cash use some of it to help maximise your time and finding your talent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pot p wrote: »

Nobody will laugh at you.

Everyone is sh*te in the first few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

tunney wrote: »
    Nobody will laugh at you.

Everyone is sh*te in the first few years.

Just an innocent enquiry: how long is a few years lol, I am still sh1te!

Although new PB on most recent sprint hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

I think most competitors have commitments that restrict how much they can train. It's a hobby
    I also think most buy everything they can to gain a bit of an advantage.
    How many are" good" or above s***?
    Or how many can make the most of their bike, wetsuit, watch, power meter etc very few I guess.
    If you can get afford it and want it why wouldn't you get it. It's another thing that may help.
    Not sure it really matters.
    how many of any given field have a chance at a win?
    Most of the field are there to do their best, which I feel is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

JohnBee wrote: »
    Just an innocent enquiry: how long is a few years lol, I am still sh1te!

Although new PB on most recent sprint hooray!

Depends how often your ****ing, remember one man's ****e is another man's gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Depends how often your ****ing, remember one man's ****e is another man's gold.

Ha ha v funny

Although I did have a full clearout prior to knocking more than 10 minutes off last years sprint time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I think we are all freds starting off. the majority of us have zero bike racing experience and the associated skills before taking up triathlon...even the pros have difficulty handling bikes at speeds and in the wet. in london 2012 there were a no of crashes in the tris due to poor handling. fred is a derogatory term in the cycling community ..just as the new term MAMIL is . Its aimed to insult.
    Competitive cycling is nasty and the level of arrogance is way beyond tri imo. Lads screaming at each other bollocking each other out of it in races. Its part of the sport. To cyclists triathletes are freds. However there are plenty of competitiive cyclists who have failed at tri and yet found fred success at cycling. I know two former triathletes from my tri club who were doing 2.45 olympic times and who are now winning A3&A4 races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think we are all freds starting off. the majority of us have zero bike racing experience and the associated skills before taking up triathlon...even the pros have difficulty handling bikes at speeds and in the wet. in london 2012 there were a no of crashes in the tris due to poor handling. fred is a derogatory term in the cycling community ..just as the new term MAMIL is . Its aimed to insult.
    Competitive cycling is nasty and the level of arrogance is way beyond tri imo. Lads screaming at each other bollocking each other out of it in races. Its part of the sport. To cyclists triathletes are freds. However there are plenty of competitiive cyclists who have failed at tri and yet found fred success at cycling. I know two former triathletes from my tri club who were doing 2.45 olympic times and who are now winning A3&A4 races.

Have to completely disagree with you there, less arrogance in cycling i find.

Also you cannot just simply compare Tri and cycling, different skills sets required for each.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Have to completely disagree with you there, less arrogance in cycling i find.

Also you cannot just simply compare Tri and cycling, different skills sets required for each.

Agree with JB here although, as with all walks of life - some people are pricks, most aren't.

Cycling for tri and cycling racing are two entirely different sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

RJM85 wrote: »
    Agree with JB here although, as with all walks of life - some people are pricks, most aren't.

Cycling for tri and cycling racing are two entirely different sports.

I never said they weren't however the perception cyclists have of triathletes is that they are Fred's while I believe there are a lot of similarities between both bunches. The difference is experience. Fred s imo are less experienced that is all in both sports. Going off topic again would you agree its easier for a triathlete to become a good cyclist than a cyclist a good triathlete? Maybe that's why they have the hump about triathletes. ... When all that is different in the cycling leg is experience imo. Op you are not a Fred imo as u have experience...

I never said they weren't however the perception cyclists have of triathletes is that they are Fred's while I believe there are a lot of similarities between both bunches. The difference is experience. Fred s imo are less experienced that is all in both sports. Going off topic again would you agree its easier for a triathlete to become a good cyclist than a cyclist a good triathlete? Maybe that's why they have the hump about triathletes. ... When all that is different in the cycling leg is experience imo. Op you are not a Fred imo as u have experience...

I think the stereotypes about triathletes are that they have poor bike handling skills and look silly in their compression gear. I can't say I'd argue with either.

From my own experience - I did road racing long before I did triathlon - triathlon suits me a whole lot better because a) I don't have the patience required to be a good bike racer and b) my peak sprint power is about 10 watts more than my FTP.

That is to say - I don't think it's easier to switch from one or the other - physiological differences will mean that one suits more than the other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement