Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollock fishing

• 28-06-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im planning a fishing trip to Dunmore east area to do some Pollock fishing off the rocks catch and release any tips on best times to fish and best bait to use im going to use light tackle ie salmon rod with spinning reel with 20lb braid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭flounder

I tend to use heavier lures 28g+ or rubber eels fished behind 1-2oz weight to get down near the bottom faster.
    U can also float fish ragworm, Sandeels or small strips of mackerel aswell, no need to cast a float far they will be right under your feet in most places.
    You can go to the flat rocks at the top of the harbour or walk around the house at the flat rocks and up onto the cliff. There is a lot of ledges for about 2 miles past the house you can fish and generally a lot less people. The flat rocks can get a bit over crowded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Best bait is jelly worm on a lead head, retrieved deep, slowly and steadily - don't strike even when they peck at it, but wait for the take. I've never noticed any particularly good or bad times, although that depends on where you are - some spots fish better on high tide, some on low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

villa1979 wrote: »
    Im planning a fishing trip to Dunmore east area to do some Pollock fishing off the rocks catch and release any tips on best times to fish and best bait to use im going to use light tackle ie salmon rod with spinning reel with 20lb braid

Best times are early morning or dusk in my experience. Best bait is soft plastics (black firetail jelly worms work well for me) rigged like this

I always have great success on metal jigs. Fire it out let it sink and retrieve with sink and draw action.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Can anyone recommend a spot around cork where pollack is being cought right now? Tried the rocks at Sandycove last weekend with no luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭villa1979

Thanks lads heading next Wednesday fishing so hopefully will get a few fish

Advertisement