Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poster pressing for personal information

Options
  • 28-06-2015 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭

Hi there - I hope this is the right place for this.

I made the mistake of disclosing that I have taught Economics during a discussion of Economics the other day. Obviously I would use certain textbooks and materials in that role. The textbook which was used in my role was not a common textbook - in fact it's fair to say that our organisation was likely the only one in the country using it (note that I am still being as vague as possible as it would be pretty easy for one of my students to deduce who I am).

I post on Boards anonymously, as what I could say here would be severely circumscribed were my identity connected with my Boards account.

Which brings me to the issue: a certain poster has been plaguing me with questions about the particular textbook I have used. I have made it clear that I do not want to answer the question, made it clear that it was not relevant to the discussion anyway, and finally I told the poster that if he raised it again, I would take the issue to an admin for resolution. He immediately raised it again.

Here are some of the posts where I was pressed for this personal information:
    What textbook do you use to teach economics?
    I ask again: What textbook do you use to teach economics?
    Why do you keep evading it though? If you're teaching economics, you know what textbook you teach from, and presumably even have it to hand - so it'd be pretty easy for you to just state the name of the textbook, and if what it contains (i.e. if what you teach), is fractional reserve, money multiplier, or (like the BoE paper) endogenous money.
    Funny how you come out with accusations of 'becoming a public joke' and just asserting/exclaiming 'YOU ARE WRONG' - when you won't even disclose what economics textbook you teach from, or whether it (and thus you) are teaching empirically false versions of money creation to your students...
    If you don't know basic things like this, and evade even mentioning what economics textbook you teach from - when it's pointed out that you're likely teaching an empirically false version of money creation - then I kind of wonder whether it's suitable for you to be teaching anyone economics.
    It's a simple question - and only a question, not a statement - so I don't understand why you keep on evading it: I'm curious about what economics textbook you teach from?

I have made it as clear as possible that I do not want to answer this question, but the poster persists. I would appreciate it if some action was taken with regard to protecting my privacy in this matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi there - I hope this is the right place for this.

I made the mistake of disclosing that I have taught Economics during a discussion of Economics the other day. Obviously I would use certain textbooks and materials in that role. The textbook which was used in my role was not a common textbook - in fact it's fair to say that our organisation was likely the only one in the country using it (note that I am still being as vague as possible as it would be pretty easy for one of my students to deduce who I am).

I post on Boards anonymously, as what I could say here would be severely circumscribed were my identity connected with my Boards account.

Which brings me to the issue: a certain poster has been plaguing me with questions about the particular textbook I have used. I have made it clear that I do not want to answer the question, made it clear that it was not relevant to the discussion anyway, and finally I told the poster that if he raised it again, I would take the issue to an admin for resolution. He immediately raised it again.

Here are some of the posts where I was pressed for this personal information:

I have made it as clear as possible that I do not want to answer this question, but the poster persists. I would appreciate it if some action was taken with regard to protecting my privacy in this matter. Thanks.

Alas, what information you disclose is down to you. Sometimes that will have ramifcations and going forward you may wish to be more circumspect with what you post.

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but what someone seeking infornation based on whay you've posted doesn't currently break any rules.

Should you wish to limit your interaction with another user, you may wish to block then which means you will no longer see their posts and they will no longer be able to send you private messages.

I would suggeat that you click on their username next to a post they have made and add them to your ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have to say that's a rather disappointing response and I will be forced to close my account.

We're obviously sorry to hear that, but we are limited in what we can do.

You've given out certain information voluntarily, and another user has utilised that.

We've provided you with tools to avoid further interaction. You have the choice to use them or not.

We would like you to stay around, naturally.

Personally, I hope you'll recognise the position we're in regarding this issue. It's no personal slight, but given that you did put this information out there, you have to accept that there may be implications to doing that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

OP voluntarily closed their boards.ie account.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement