Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Maybe we should have another thread which discusses the other fights and McGregor is excluded, this would have mean the other title fight chat is discussed in a meaningful way. I must try to watch their previous fight tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

If Conor loses to Mendes now, will he get a shot at fighting Aldo at all? Total newbie to MMA.

If Conor and Aldo both lose to Mendes they'll make the fight.
    If Mendes loses to Aldo after beating Conor, i don't think we ever see the fight as Aldo might have retired by the time Conor "works his way" to another shot. Although that might just be one fight against a can like Siver though given the love they have for McGregor.

tbh, a fight between Aldo and McGregor that wasn't for the title just wouldn't be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Ah c'mon now... Surely you can't believe your own post.

His record is an absolute joke. In terms of, he should be 1-3 inside the UFC. At best I'd give him 2-2

Mods I'm begging.

Edit. Thought this was aimed at conor!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

His record is an absolute joke. In terms of, he should be 1-3 inside the UFC. At best I'd give him 2-2

What he 'should' be is irrelevant when we are talking about his record. I know he is lucky in his fights and the decisions and I dont rate him that highly but the facts are the facts..

He is 4-0 in the UFC, unbeaten in last 12 career fights (nearly 4 and a half years unbeaten)..and the only fighter to ever in the UFC to go 5-0 in the space of a year if he wins at UFC 189.

Cathal Pendred is the #GOAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I don't think Conor has a knee issue, I have had both my ACL's done and you do these things as preventative measures... It is generally accepted that ACL injury ages the knee by about 20 years so you need to do everything you can to prevent injuries.

In regards to a few of the comments about how Aldo was able to deal with Mendes' wrestling with ease, a lot of people don't take the fact that Aldo is a high level BJJ Black Belt into account. Conor is a brown belt and whilst that is very high, Aldo is a stratosphere above that and he can put everything into his kicks because he has no worries if he is taken down. Conor could go toe to toe with both men, his striking is exceptional as is his balance, but its his ground game that's not been tested, so that is why I feel this is actually a harder match for him, and this is not being disrespectful to Aldo. Aldo's style is more suited to Conor although I have said since the fight was announced that I felt that Aldo might play to his BJJ strengths when he fought Conor, it would be unexpected and he would have a much bigger advantage.

I think Conor will get the win against Mendes, I think the reach is too much and he is extremely dynamic on his feet, not to mention he has unbelievable balance. Mendes has to cover too much distance for a TD and Conor has lethal uppercuts that carry immense power and he is extremely unorthodox in his striking style so it's very hard to prepare for him.

I also find it laughable that people on social media are getting up in arms about his comment about drunk friends. Having seen the presser in Dublin, he is perfectly entitled to that opinion as it was horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If you understood UFC scoring system you'd understand that he won all his fights.

Joe Rogan sways a lot of people with the nonsense he talks after some fights. He generally explains quite well for beginners but he completely takes sides based on feling without logically dissecting stuff.

Pendred ain't a pretty fighter, but he's effective and scores points for take downs and submission attempts. I think you could put him against far better fighters then himself and he'd still be hard to beat and within a shout. That is a skill within itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Money comes in second place, it’s like a shadow: when you try catching it, you can’t, but when you move forward, it follows you. Money ends some day, but legacy and things you do becomes part of the history, and that’s what I value the most.

I love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭sheriff2

Is anyone going to Vegas without tickets for the fight, wondering where the best place to watch it would be. The MGM are charging 75$ to watch it on a screen there, seems a bit steep

I'm abit lost here, are you saying he didn't win at least one of those fights and at most 2????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As already stated, that's his record and it doesn't matter what anybody thinks. I think Cathal gets a hard time of it but I think he fights in the wrong weight class. He reminds me of Rumble, if he went up a class I think he would be much better. He seems to run out of gas too quickly and it may end up in his being cut by the UFC as he is not exciting enough (re Jon Fitch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Good to get clarity from Aldo. The images will now hopefully end the inane and near insane 'fear was a factor' rants.

His statement descends into weirdness though when he mentions 'almost' defending his belt 3 times a year. He seems to look for praise for 'almost' doing something. Odd...

Also, he mentions how many times he 'would have fought' even though the majority of his actual defences were rescheduled fights so wouldn't have existed if he didn't pull out of the original surely? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

very good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I don't like Cathals style either for what it's worth but still would like to see him do well.
    Because he's Irish?
    So it is very much a case that because they are Irish they a given some sort of pass. I firmly believe that is the case and you know what that's fine to want Irish athletes to do well but its also okay to not care what nationality they are and judge them on how they act in and out of the ring without it being typical Irish begrudgary.
    For what its worth I've never found anything Conor has said in any way funny or hilarious. He is not witty or funny to me and I honestly think his wit and behaviour panders to the lowest common denominators in society and that is how he is able to build so much hype IMO. Hes basically the Mrs. Brownes Boys of MMA.
    Is he as good as he says he is, time will tell. He's certainly good at what he does but Mendez is a different class to anybody he has fought before.it'll be a great fight.
    It

Axwell wrote: »
    What he 'should' be is irrelevant when we are talking about his record. I know he is lucky in his fights and the decisions and I dont rate him that highly but the facts are the facts..

He is 4-0 in the UFC, unbeaten in last 12 career fights (nearly 4 and a half years unbeaten)..and the only fighter to ever in the UFC to go 5-0 in the space of a year if he wins at UFC 189.

sorry I got mixed up here and didn't realise it was pendred Cerealrapper was talking about. I agree with him, he's utter garbage. sorry for the fighter bashing but I agree.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Lukker- wrote: »
    If you understood UFC scoring system you'd understand that he won all his fights.
    I've a fairly solid understanding of how scoring works, thanks. Doesn't mean that it's going to be judged that way. Are you honestly going to tell me that someone like Cecil Peoples never made a mistake judging?
    rusty cole wrote: »
    I'm abit lost here, are you saying he didn't win at least one of those fights and at most 2????

I meant his record should be 1 win - 3 losses
    RoboRat wrote: »
    As already stated, that's his record and it doesn't matter what anybody thinks. I think Cathal gets a hard time of it but I think he fights in the wrong weight class. He reminds me of Rumble, if he went up a class I think he would be much better. He seems to run out of gas too quickly and it may end up in his being cut by the UFC as he is not exciting enough (re Jon Fitch).

Harsh to compare him to Rumble :p

I'm sure he'll get dropped the same way Fitch did. Couple of wins but didn't please the crowd. Not that I want to see him gone.

But I do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

That first embedded episode lacked the energy of the last lot they made for Aldo V McGregor. This match up is definitely after losing some of the hype now. I get the impression Conor is way over all the media crap at this point too, also from that clip the Team Alpha Male boys came across as exactly that, little boys! Urijah Faber is a geek! Typical cheesy headed American "bro". Mendes has been quite reserved though in fairness to him

Going by that attitude it's almost a self admission that he's going to get found out soon for not being the GOAT (I get it's tongue in cheek) but actually a sub par athlete.

And I don't think it's OK to compare his CW opponents to UFC (even Che Mills. Hasbeen at the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

... and how good his BJJ off/def is (not at UFC level is my guess).

Just wondering what you are basing your guess on? He is a brown belt in BJJ and would almost certainly be a black belt if he trained more in the Gi.

When John Kavanagh gives a belt it really means something so I have idea why you would presume his BJJ is not UFC level, if he is unbeaten in the UFC? There are BJJ white belts and blue belts in the UFC.

Going by that attitude it's almost a self admission that he's going to get found out soon for not being the GOAT (I get it's tongue in cheek) but actually a sub par athlete.

And I don't think it's OK to compare his CW opponents to UFC (even Che Mills. Hasbeen at the time).

Hes still unbeaten and as I said if he wins 5-0 then hes the first fighter ever in the UFC to do so within the space of a year. Is he exciting to watch, not really but he gets the job done and hes not one to give up. Unfortunately that might not be enough in the UFC unless he starts to win more convincingly. Will he lose a fight at some stage, probably but thats true of any fighter. He has plenty of room for improvement, especially on his boxing..but its a numbers game in the UFC and right now his numbers say 4-0.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Mellor wrote:
    Not even slightly. This is McGregor toughest fight by a long shot.

As was said about every one of his fights since Brimage........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just on the Team Alpha Male talk. I don't like Faber, tbh, but I find it hard not to like Mendes. Seems a decent fella.

nc19 wrote: »
    As was said about every one of his fights since Brimage........

Well yeah, it's kind of the nature of the sport. You progress to tougher opponents.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Its by no means a certainty at all. If Conor loses to Mendes then Mendes v Aldo will be the title fight and everything changes. If Mendes wins that fight and gets the belt there is no need or desire for Conor to fight Aldo, he wants the belt.

If Aldo wins against Mendes should that be the fight then there is a strong chance and one I think will happen that Aldo retires and never even fights McGregor.

Anything is possible at this stage, nothing is a certainty.
    I'm talking about in the future in general. It might be two or three years down the line depending on results, but McGregor and Aldo will fight at some stage in their career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Looks like RTE are making the most of Aldo's comments

XAWIgIN.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Hazys wrote: »
    Looks like RTE are making the most of Aldo's comments

XAWIgIN.png

That's not what he said at all!

Edit: Maybe it is after looking at it on RTE. I don't remember being in that context when I read them first on this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

stephenl15 wrote: »

Edit: Maybe it is after looking at it on RTE. I don't remember being in that context when I read them first on this thread?

TBF it was pretty close to what Aldo said.

Most of his statement was pretty good but that line was a little much. Attack Conor all you want, lords knows he deserves it but having a go at the Irish stereotype (no matter how true it is) was a bit much and petty.

Regardless how Aldo was treated in Dublin, Conor was treated the same in Rio but Conor has shown nothing but up most respect for the Brazilian people, Also hasn't show the same to us, so he went down a notch in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Not a direct quote but that actually was pretty much what he said alright.

''If he beats Chad Mendes, the only thing he will have is a toy belt to show his drunk friends in his country’s bars, because that’s what an interim belt represents to me: a toy. I am the champion.'' ~Jose Aldo

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'm talking about in the future in general. It might be two or three years down the line depending on results, but McGregor and Aldo will fight at some stage in their career.

And I am saying thats by no means a certainty...Aldo has already said he was making an announcement after the McGregor fight regarding his future. One the UFC already knows but he will announce after. Some think it was him moving up in weight and some including myself think it is he was/is going to retire. The fight with Conor was going to be a nice chunk of money for him to retire on. So it wont be that surprising if Mendes wins and he and Aldo were to fight that Aldo retires afterwards and he and McGregor never fight..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Aldo's ribs

CI3oOdcUAAAFKfP.jpg

tzPrnRi.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭crybaby

Aldo sounds like McGregor got right under his skin, interesting to see the difference between his very cool reaction after the Siver fight and this statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aldo's ribs

CI3oOdcUAAAFKfP.jpg

Hhhhhmmmmmm yupp, yupp I see it now, they are definitely ribs...

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hhhhhmmmmmm yupp, yupp I see it now, they are definitely ribs...

uPp4R86.gif

I think it comes down to: Aldo goosed up his ribs. Regardless of his history, he's too injured to fight. Conor is obviously pissed off he wont get title shot and says Aldo is scared. UFC is pissed that they just spent MILLIONS and for nothing so throwing an interim belt in the mix. It's all that simple.

Chad is a beast and I cannot wait for this fight

Arse Chin Faber is a douchebaaaaaag

That is all.

uPp4R86.gif

Wasn't actually slagging your post, just that I didn't have a clue what I was looking at. Wouldn't know if there was a problem unless I saw a cartoony zigzag signifying a crack.

Wasn't actually slagging your post, just that I didn't have a clue what I was looking at. Wouldn't know if there was a problem unless I saw a cartoony zigzag signifying a crack.

The arrow man, it's all about the arrow! :D

The arrow man, it's all about the arrow! :D

I was looking at exactly where the arrow was pointing, never noticed the gap beside it, I take it the bit of rib isn't supposed to be floating out there on it's own? That looks far from a bruise...

There still seems to be a bit of debate, some saying it's dislodged cartilage, others saying it's broken. They all seem to agree that he couldn't fight with it regardless of which

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

I was looking at exactly where the arrow was pointing, never noticed the gap beside it, I take it the bit of rib isn't supposed to be floating out there on it's own? That looks far from a bruise...
    Is that scan official? hard to believe there was even a question over it if its broken that clearly

EDIT: from above comment, shows why im no doctor

• Advertisement

Connavar wrote: »
    Is that scan official? hard to believe there was even a question over it if its broken that clearly

Apparently he gave it to a Brazilian journalist, his name is also printed on the scan Axwell posted

Suggest people click the tweet I posted above - shows its a proper fracture not just bruising. Interesting reading in the replies from the doctor who posted it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Suggest people click the tweet I posted above - shows its a proper fracture not just bruising. Interesting reading in the replies from the doctor who posted it too.

Of course Twitter would be blocked in work :P

Of course Twitter would be blocked in work :P

Here is what was in Axwell's post. The doc said "I was asked to review Jose Aldo rib films. Yes, he has definite fracture. Here are actual images. White line is break"

CI3oOc0VAAAr_iv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

This has turned into a pure propaganda battle.

Maybe the UFC pressured doctors to say he could fight when he shouldn’t but equally Aldo’s team could easily fabricated these scans (‘his name is on it’, yeah that’s iron clad proof).

The one thing for certain is that Aldo’s history is what is his issue here, if this was his first/second/third time to drop out of a fight in his UFC career then everyone would accept it but it’s his fifth. His point that he’d have fought 3 times a year if he made it to all his drop outs is illogical to put it mildly, it shows he’s either deluded or a bit thick.

The most likely thing is that this is a case of the boy who cried wolf and he has only himself to blame.

Here is what was in Axwell's post. The doc said "I was asked to review Jose Aldo rib films. Yes, he has definite fracture. Here are actual images. White line is break"

There's that but some of his comments and replies are also interesting - always a bit of conspiracy theory thrown in for good measure too :D

• Advertisement

who knew Brazilians were dab hands with the oul CGI!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Sinead O'Connor is gonna be singing Connor's entrance music

CI5y7JkWoAADl7g.png

even mentioning here in the same sentence is the kiss O death for him now!! :) is there an embedded video out already?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Well yeah, it's kind of the nature of the sport. You progress to tougher opponents.

My point being, which I thought was fairly obvious, is that everyone one of those opponents was meant to be his toughest test and was going to smash him etc etc......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I find it funny that Aldo mentions in his comments that he cares more about his history and status in the sport after retirement as opposed to money.

Because if he runs from this and somehow manages to retire without facing McGregor now. A lot of people will remember him for his achivements yes.

But a lot will also remember this , will remember that he always pulled out of fights and will remember that he ran from McGregor and that he was a coward/afraid to face him.

Maybe that's true , maybe it's not but that's how peoples minds work and that's what time will remember.

Personally , I think he has an issue with his rib but I don't think it's broken. I think he knows if he is anything except 100% facing Conor he will lose , his rib section will be targeted. For all his saying Conor is a joker etc, he knows in his heart this guy is a great fighter and could beat him so maybe he is waiting until he's 100% to face him, maybe not.

Some people will say man up and fight , others might see his point of view, Aldo is the one with the belt after all so he does hold the cards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement