Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

There is no hope it is a fake injury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

John Kavanagh on the MMA hour, just said if he was a betting man he would say its gonna be Conor Vs Aldo..too much money involved for Aldo not to show up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Axwell wrote: »
    John Kavanagh on the MMA hour, just said if he was a betting man he would say its gonna be Conor Vs Aldo..too much money involved for Aldo not to show up for it.

Should Conor win Aldo would nearly have bigger day with a rematch

I said it already and John Kavanagh just said the same himself, I think Aldo retires after 189 regardless of the result so I dont see there being any rematch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I said it already and John Kavanagh just said the same himself, I think Aldo retires after 189 regardless of the result so I dont see there being any rematch.

Doesn't he have a press conference for right after 189? Next day possibly?

He's been very vocal in calling for a fighters union, so I thought it could possibly be about that.

There is some speculation about his future, some think he moves up in weight..i think he retires. He has said hes told the UFC what his plans are, they already know but he said he wont announce it till after the fight. To me he figures he will win and then retire unbeaten in UFC and WEC, if he gets beaten then he probably calls it a day anyways. Plus with his coach retiring it just all points that way for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

He could make up to 8 million off 2 fights with Conor, reports of him making 3.6 mill off just PPV's on this fight. Don't think that inc show/win money.

dave1982 wrote: »
    He could make up to 8 million off 2 fights with Conor, reports of him making 3.6 mill off just PPV's on this fight. Don't think that inc show/win money.

It doesnt include show or win money, hes on 500k plus win bonus. But there is so much hype over this fight because Aldo is champ. If Conor beats him the UFC have a line of fighters looking to get a chance to fight him. The draw wont be anywhere near the same for a rematch with Aldo and there is no way they would promote it as much as this fight or that he would get the same PPV buys. He is going to make the best money possible in this fight, any rematch wouldnt make him near the same money. Its a huge nest egg for him to retire on if he does and then take up working as a coach possibly.

JK, Mendes and Jonas Bilharinho all on the MMA hour and say they feel Aldo will fight. Mendes saying he feels Aldo will fight, that he has heard mixed things about the injury and how bad it was. All looking good at the minute, guess we will know more on Tuesday for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I do indeed, second round stoppage after Conor picks him apart for the first one. I think Aldo is wise enough to not get KO'd early and tries to keep his distance in the first but takes a beating over the course of the round and Conor will grind him down and I think he crumbles in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time. Conor will not have seen anything like this before, if he does his usual hands down what you got attitude when he gets cocky he could be in trouble. .having said all that ill be having a bet closer to the event, im gonna go with Conor Ko round 3, if Conor doesn't get majorly tagged in the first he will break him down as Aldo gasses, no man can keep up that speed he showed in the first two rounds. Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

JK, Mendes and Jonas Bilharinho all on the MMA hour and say they feel Aldo will fight. Mendes saying he feels Aldo will fight, that he has heard mixed things about the injury and how bad it was. All looking good at the minute, guess we will know more on Tuesday for sure.

Will listen to the full show tomorrow in work but this is all great news for those of us making the trip over. Nobody wants to see Mendes step in except Mendes. I guess nothing is a cert yet but its definitely positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Saw that aldo has a training session tomorrow and will then decide if he's fighting or not. It will be up to NSAC then.

Nevada State Athletic Executive Director Bob Bennett has gave a promising update on Aldo's injury to ESPN on Monday. He claims that NSAC consulting physician Dr Timothy Trainor has requested Aldo's medical documents from UFC medical consultant Dr. Jeff Davidson, but it's looking extremely likely that he will be cleared to compete.
    "Right now, according to Dr. Trainor's communications with Dr. Davidson, it appears Aldo had a rib contusion and a cartilage injury,
    "Dr. Trainor is currently awaiting to see the medical documents and at this point in time, we think it is highly unlikely Aldo will have any trouble competing. Dr. Trainor has told me this type of injury (rib contusion) is fairly common and usually improves within a few days."
    Bennett added that the final call will not be made until Aldo's medical documents have been reviewed.
    "We already have Dr. Trainor in communication with the UFC and we are making sure Aldo's injury is not going to prevent him from fighting.
    "We're already working on it now. We've been discussing this for the last week, going back and forth, trying to get documents. Upon further medical review of Aldo's documents, we will have a confirmed answer."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

akelly02 wrote: »
    Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time. Conor will not have seen anything like this before, if he does his usual hands down what you got attitude when he gets cocky he could be in trouble. .having said all that ill be having a bet closer to the event, im gonna go with Conor Ko round 3, if Conor doesn't get majorly tagged in the first he will break him down as Aldo gasses, no man can keep up that speed he showed in the first two rounds. Just my 2 cents.

seen this posted elsewhere. Short interview with conor done today or yesterday.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ROyfmFQ2fK8

Cant embed on phone. also rewatched aldo/mendes2 recently. here conor predicts ko in first 4mins. id be impressed to see aldo ko'd at all but in the first 4mins! what are the odds on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads I reckoned it wouldnt go past 2 rounds with a KO from Conor in the lead up ,but im after re watching the first 2 rounds of Aldo mendes 2 im astounded with the speed and power of Aldo and to a slightly lesser extent Mendes aswell in the first couple if rounds.i must have been asleep watching it in real time.

Mendes was going very, very well in that first round until the eye poke. After that, Aldo was a different beast. The stoppage seemed to really mess with Mendes' rhythm.

As an aside, the full fight has been uploaded to YouTube by the UFC as part of their Free Fights videos. Such a great fight and really gets the blood pumping for July 11th.

Old Perry wrote: »
    id be impressed to see aldo ko'd at all but in the first 4mins! what are the odds on that?

9/2 for Conor by KO in Rnd 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Paully D wrote: »
    Mendes was going very, very well in that first round until the eye poke. After that, Aldo was a different beast. The stoppage seemed to really mess with Mendes' rhythm.

As an aside, the full fight has been uploaded to YouTube by the UFC as part of their Free Fights videos. Such a great fight and really gets the blood pumping for July 11th.

It really is a cracking fight, one of the most exciting you will see. But Aldo will gas, not a hope this goes 5 rounds, if Conor makes it out of the first in decent shape he finishes him in the next couple if rounds .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Definitely the tinted glasses, don't get me wrong It's not impossible, Nelson has a job on his hands for sure but how people can say McGregor is the Favorite against Aldo is beyond me.

I watched the Aldo Mendes fight again just today. It was effectively a boxing match.......no takedowns, little kicking....Whichever one he ends up fighting, if they try to out box him it won't end well for them.

I was 60/40 in favour of Aldo before re watching that fight, now I'm 60/40 in favour of Conor. If he ends up fighting Mendes then I'm 80/20 in favour of conor............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

It really is a cracking fight, one of the most exciting you will see. But Aldo will gas, not a hope this goes 5 rounds, if Conor makes it out of the first in decent shape he finishes him in the next couple if rounds .

Aldo looks anything but gassed in the 5th round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Had a tenner in my PP account so I threw it on Conor in Round 3, probably do it in the dying seconds of Rnd 2 now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Was anything ever made of Aldo throwing two extra, clean, punches at Mendes after the buzzer in the first round, actually?

Can you imagine the shitstorm if McGregor did that? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Knex. wrote: »
    Was anything ever made of Aldo throwing two extra, clean, punches at Mendes after the buzzer in the first round, actually?

Pretty much 50/50 in terms of people saying it was dirty and people giving Aldo the benefit of the doubt, but it genuinely did seem to be a noise issue.

Aldo, Mendes' coach, Dana White and the referee, Marc Goddard, were among those that said they couldn't hear the bell such was the noise inside the arena. Goddard said he couldn't even hear the 10 second warning.

The referee got the brunt of the blame from both camps for not stepping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Peist2007 wrote: »
    My point is that the reason why he is favourite is due to the money being placed on him, not by the bookie employing a resident UFC expert with amazing actuarial skills who decides that a McGregor KO is the most likely option.
    No they just copy the odds from 5Dimes who do have in house MMA experts.
    Conor KO opened as favourite before any bets were taken.

Money coming in can alter the market, but its not the only factor. Or else it would be easily to arb bets with Paddy power verses a US bookie

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    See the way you can stream the fights from ufcs site? Can you do that in America?
    Just wondering why people would pay the proper ppv price($50/60 over there if that's possible.

In countries where they have a deal with a PPV broadcaster, the online PPV is priced the same. I imagine its part of the deal that they can't undercut the broadcaster.

So it costs €15-17 on UFC.tv in Ireland where there's no deal. But it costs $49.99 or $59.99 in the US and Australia where there is a PPV broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

What a card. With McGregor, Aldo, Lawler, Almedia, Thatch, Matt Brown, Cody Gabrandt and Neil Seery all on one card! All amazing stand up fighters.

I think Seery will win, but Pendred and Nelson may struggle. Thatch is simply huge, and even in the Henderson fight he really dominated the first two rounds. Fight over 3 rounds really suits Thatch.

MacDonald v Lawler is a toss up. Lawler has the advantage standing up, MacDonald on the ground. Lawler's takedown defence has come on leaps and bounds after preparing for Johnny Hendricks twice so I think he may take this.

I thought McGregor would win before the injury and I really think so now. Even if he's not able to knock Aldo out he'll be able to maintain his distance and land the cleaner strikes.

The one bet I may back is McGregor by sub its a big enough price and I feel he could hurt him on the feet and lock in a choke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

I do not know where the whole view point that Aldo will gas comes from apart from the Hominick fight or when he was coasting to decisions in other fights. I would be more worried about McGregor if the fight goes the distance. How do we know that McGregor will not gas himself?

The biggest thing that will change from the Mendes fight is that Chad was fighting right in the firing line of Aldo for the entire fight. So when Aldo unloaded Chad was there. Chad had to take damage to give damage.

The biggest difference is that based on McGregors previous efforts he will be mostly out of Aldo's range. If he can stay there while landing then he may be able to take this. If McGregor stands toe to toe in Aldo's range then I am afraid he will be going to sleep (*Fully fit Aldo that is)

jodaw wrote: »
    I would be more worried about McGregor if the fight goes the distance. How do we know that McGregor will not gas himself
    Why are you be worried about McGregor gassing?
    Or are you just being reactionary because people have said Also will gas?
    I don't think cardio will be an issue for either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We'd be able to hear it with the benefit of a million mics placed around the Octagon and outside it but with that noise, it's understandable that you may not be able to hear it in the venue itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

That_Guy wrote: »
    I gave him the benefit of the doubt. We'd be able to hear it with the benefit of a million mics placed around the Octagon and outside it but with that noise, it's understandable that you may not be able to hear it in the venue itself.

I'd have to disagree. They were definite cheap shots, did serious damage and should've had a point deducted. Sure the fighters and ref are the only people who really need to hear the bell, surely it's done so that they of all people hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Mellor wrote: »
    Why are you be worried about McGregor gassing?
    Or are you just being reactionary because people have said Also will gas?
    I don't think cardio will be an issue for either.

In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?

stephenl15 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. They were definite cheap shots, did serious damage and should've had a point deducted. Sure the fighters and ref are the only people who really need to hear the bell, surely it's done so that they of all people hear it.

In watching it again, it looks bad but I didn't hear the clappers at all to signal for 10 seconds.

I don't think the ref heard it either otherwise he'd have been much closer to the fighters. Only when he heard the klaxon did he understand what was happening and went to close out the round.

It's a rocking Brazilian crowd when their fighter is on top. Whistles, cheering and the klaxon can understandably get lost in all of that noise.

It happened at Dublin last year. There were many occasions when I couldn't hear the klaxon signalling the end of the round because the noise was deafening.

I don't think Mendes or his corner made anything of it either at the time.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    In all of the videos I have seen of McGregor training I have never seen him out for a run. Surely he must do it though?

Really? You're basing McGregor's cardio on having not seen him run in videos? Jeeeaaayyysssuuuuusss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

He doesn't need to run he does that crocodile crawl..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Running fitness and Fighting fitness are not the same thing at all....

McGregor's reaction to Aldo not going for the kill :pac:

FixedMellowIsopod.gif

McGregor's reaction to Aldo not going for the kill :pac:

FixedMellowIsopod.gif

Haha brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Am I right in saying that Aldo is physically bigger than Conor?

py2006 wrote: »

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Really? You're basing McGregor's cardio on having not seen him run in videos? Jeeeaaayyysssuuuuusss

I didn't bash his fitness, I just asked if he incorporates running into his training. I thought perhaps someone might know that's all.

I didn't bash his fitness, I just asked if he incorporates running into his training. I thought perhaps someone might know that's all.

You'd imagine he does a bit just to shake off the cobwebs in the morning and get the heart beat pumping before their training.

Wouldn't say it's an integral part of his training though at a guess. They'd have cardio machines and the like.

It was a different poster who questioned it.
    Ian Whelan was just quoted me to ask the question.
    He posted this on favebook the other day. So that's the answer really.
    #Reeboks ;)

11174898_1080972661971032_4185610338008273067_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=08813644ee33a168874fcecb927795aa&oe=56316C12&__gda__=1445290611_630e2f9ed7b179e072b61053c1ca5580
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Running fitness and Fighting fitness are not the same thing at all....
    There are other elements to fight fitness. Tempo and intensity for example.
    But running is a pretty good measure of cardiovascular ability, and it's has a huge carry over to fighting imo.

Rocky proves that running is directly proportional to winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Best way to get cardio for MMA is to train MMA getting in rounds, or MMA specific cardio exercises.

Most fighters I know would not do that much running at all. Its more done to burn extra calories when dropping weight , and some sprints are done for explosiveness and recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

There was a video of a short local news segment in Vegas floating around the last week, where the reporter mentioned that Conor had just returned from a run before they spoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Best way to get cardio for MMA is to train MMA getting in rounds, or MMA specific cardio exercises.

Most fighters I know would not do that much running at all. Its more done to burn extra calories when dropping weight , and some sprints are done for explosiveness and recovery.

Best way to get cardio for an MMA fight all depends on the fighter, there is no set in stone specific way to train best. Rolling with guys is great for your cardio, sparring is also great but It doesn't capture the full intensiveness of an actual fight and the closer you get to mimiking a real fight the higher the risk of injury you run is.

Running is a fantastic cardiovascular excercise and It can have huge benefits inside the octagon, I think It's pretty obvious to spot the guys who don't run, specifically the heavyweights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

py2006 wrote: »

Conor's looked bigger anytime I've seen the two beside each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Conor's looked bigger anytime I've seen the two beside each other.

Maybe you are right, just watching a couple fights on youtube and I though Aldo had more muscle defintion in arms, shoulders and chest.

He appears to have stronger kicks too, I think Conors kicks are weak and his spinning kicks leave him vulnerable as his back is to his opponent for a second.

Now, I could be talking through my ass as I am new to this sport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement