Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm sick that it's not on and I'm only a casual fan. Can't imagine what it's like who were travelling to it, especially on such short notice. I guess at least there will be some fight on for a title.

This probably rules out the defense fight in Croke Park in 2015 then.

Is this the 5th title fight Aldo has pulled out of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I be surprised if Aldo turns down 4m+ unless he is properly injured. Its a strange one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Absolutely gutted. Only last night I was watching Dana White say he was nearly sure it would be Aldo and that lots of fighters fought with the same injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Bummed that Aldo pulled out :(.
    On the other hand I think McGregor vs Mendes may actually be a better fight stylistically.
    If Conor wins then he deserves the big pay day in Dublin vs Aldo and a chance to prove himself as the No1.
    Should be great fights on the card also and really looking forward to Lawlor vs MacDonald
    Roll on the 11th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Awful news to get, saw it coming a mile away though. Aldo clearly has no issue pulling out of fights. Cerrone went in to his fight at UFC 187 with an extremely similar injury and destroyed. Didn't let the news get out and didnt bitch out of the fight. Pulling out of 5 fights is shocking.

As much as many of you will say its shite talk i reckon Mcgregor might be right, maybe he did get into Aldo's head. Maybe Aldo is more afraid of Conor than he tries to let on.

An interim belt is a bit of a joke but i can see why they are doing it what with all the money they pumped into promoting this and having McGregor as the main event. Hopefully the new Embedded series can create a bit of a buzz for this fight now. I definitely think Mendes will be a tougher match up for Conor but time will tell i guess. Either way it should still be a quality fight but it loses a bit of its appeal now the real title isn't on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

JustTheOne wrote: »
    But aldo as wiped the floor with many good wrestlers

Who's to say conor won't do the same?

Because conor mcgregor and jose aldo are two different people, and mcgregor is untested in the ufc at least against a top wrestler. I can't see why that is hard to fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Youtube mirror of last nights ESPN interview, is geo locked on ESPN site.....Dana sounds pissed, esp with the mention of the 5 pullouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTjX-o-tzDk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Just listened to Mendez on Ariel Helwani's podcast, now I know our Conor is no shrinking violet but Chad comes across as a grade A douchebag, really Hope McGregor puts him down quick, if there was ever a guy who deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

dulux99 wrote: »
    Because conor mcgregor and jose aldo are two different people, and mcgregor is untested in the ufc at least against a top wrestler. I can't see why that is hard to fathom.

So aldo isn't a top class wrestler?

For all Mendes wrestling he couldn't stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

magma69 wrote: »
    I'm not bothered by the pull out, I'd rather a healthy Mendes than an injured Aldo and let's be honest, McGregor didn't deserve the shot in the first place, if he wins, he'll rightfully earn his shot at Aldo next.

I feel sorry for the people going but it should still be a fantastic fight. Mendes is a very solid sub.
    It might be a healthy Mendes, but its a two week camp Mendes which isnt fair on him. Still a downer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Depp wrote: »
    Just listened to Mendez on Ariel Helwani's podcast, now I know our Conor is no shrinking violet but Chad comes across as a grade A douchebag, really Hope McGregor puts him down quick, if there was ever a guy who deserves it!

That's a running theme with Team Alpha Male and tbh Chad isn't the worst out of them. A McGregor win will be a nice little bonus as a knock to TAM.

Tommy Toe Hold has made a brilliant video about the whole thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

akelly02 wrote: »
    It might be a healthy Mendes, but its a two week camp Mendes which isnt fair on him. Still a downer for me.

I'd say he has been trading for weeks in case of this scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

JustTheOne wrote: »
    I'd say he has been trading for weeks in case of this scenario.

I know but how hard are you really pushing yourself when the chances were he wasnt going to get a fight? It looked like it was still on for a very long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Would have preferred Frankie however there is a fight, fightweek and general messiness that is vegas. Roll on Tuesday dublin airport. vegas baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

But I do firmly believe Aldo will not fight unless he's 100% or at least 90. He seems to have no problem pulling out of fights.

:cool: Sorry just had to throw that out there. Ne interesting to know If It was Aldo's decision or the doctors decision. Either way Mendes will be a good fight and would be Conor's best victory so far If he can beat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

:cool: Sorry just had to throw that out there. Ne interesting to know If It was Aldo's decision or the doctors decision. Either way Mendes will be a good fight and would be Conor's best victory so far If he can beat him.

I think it's a harder fight.

i'll be heading home to watch aldo v mendes two after work to really make up my mind in terms of how it may play out.

If he cannot bring conor to ground, he's spend a short night on his feet. in saying that, there was few deep breath moments in the siver fight were conor looked like he could polish his guard, or maybe he had felt the sting and it was no threat.

team alpha male with their selfies all standing with the tops off like a group of high school jocks!! eejits. I'd love for conor to take his head off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Depp wrote: »

Link?

What are the chances of Aldo Mcgregor being rescheduled in croke park, if Mcgregor beats Mendes?

• Advertisement

I think it's a harder fight.

In what sense? Aldo Is and has been the best featherweight in the world for a long time and until someone can actually beat him he will continue to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Am i missing something? How was Mendes a douchebag on the MMA hour? or is it more mindless "hes against Conor so we must hate him" rubbish?

rusty cole wrote: »

team alpha male with their selfies all standing with the tops off like a group of high school jocks!! eejits. I'd love for conor to take his head off.

Not like McGregor or SBG to take any topless pics. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What are the chances of Aldo Mcgregor being rescheduled in croke park, if Mcgregor beats Mendes?

Curfew.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Not like McGregor or SBG to take any topless pics. :pac:

No sure they are all very humble quiet guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

i'll be heading home to watch aldo v mendes two after work to really make up my mind in terms of how it may play out.

If he cannot bring conor to ground, he's spend a short night on his feet. in saying that, there was few deep breath moments in the siver fight were conor looked like he could polish his guard, or maybe he had felt the sting and it was no threat.
    Did he not find it hard to take Aldo down in his last fight?

I watched It and to be honest I recall he did, which may be a good sign. and also it was his insistence on getting aldo to ground which left him vulnerable to the knockout in the 1st fight, even though aldo used the cage kinda to pivot, it was still class.

Mendes didn't have much striking going into the first fight, second fight he was after knocking out like 4 people before getting the second shot so was much more comfortable with striking with Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Isn't is the best for Aldo and everyone who is watching the fight that he pull out if he is not 100% fit?

yes but striking wise can a wrestler with a crash course in pugilism overcome a seemingly deadly accurate striker in McGregor?? answer?? if not, take the legs!! by hand or by foot.

McGregor was a very good boxer in crumlin at the beginning, with phil suthcliffe apparently, who saw great talent in him. he has a natural talent for striking.

• Advertisement

Saipanne wrote: »
    Curfew.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What do you mean?

Croke park has a curfew that events need to be over by . 10.30/11.00pm I think.

This isn't good for the ufc as they wouldn't make as much money as they'd like in ppv if its not on at primetime in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I wonder will Aldo be sat cage side.....we might get another WWE type jump the cage showdown should Conor win :D

Personally I don’t think Mendes is a tougher opponent for McGregor as I don’t think they come tougher than Aldo (whatever about his pulling out business the chap is a monster in the cage)

But I think the way this has all played out makes this a tougher fight/situation than if he was fighting Aldo. Mendes is basically coming in with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Although if McGregor is as ice cold as he seems to be and doesn’t let any of this bother him matched with the classic SBG slogan of that every opponent is faceless and they don’t plan for one guy then I think Conor can make short work of Mendes with his reach and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Croke park has a curfew that events need to be over by . 10.30/11.00pm I think.

This isn't good for the ufc as they wouldn't make as much money as they'd like in ppv if its not on at primetime in the USA.

Ah yeah i see, so Is Dublin out of the question for such a big fight? I would have liked to have seen ALdo been made to fight in Dublin for pulling out so late.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

yes true but mendes had had luck with overhands and conor can leave himself open. I do think mendes could have an edge cardio wise. Anthony Johnson had not seen the 2nd round in a while and when dragged into a tough second and heavy 3rd, he gave up. conor had had quick wins which may be an issue. I still think conor should clobber him with right hands, ill be nervous though but I think he's do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Davei141 wrote: »
    Am i missing something? How was Mendes a douchebag on the MMA hour? or is it more mindless "hes against Conor so we must hate him" rubbish?

Hard to know how much of a 'douchebag' he is or isn't, but he came off absolutely terrible in that bar fight incident a few years ago, I've never really warmed to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

But I think the way this has all played out makes this a tougher fight/situation than if he was fighting Aldo. Mendes is basically coming in with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'd say Mendes actually has a lot to lose. Beaten twice by the champion and the potential to lose to the incumbent champion. That'd a pretty much write off any title challenges for a long time.

• Advertisement

Wonder will Conor think twice before kicking Mendez as to leave himself open for a double or single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think that by the end of the 1st round, we'll all see a noticeable class difference between McGregor and Mendes, and I don't see it being in Chad's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Knex. wrote: »
    I think that by the end of the 1st round, we'll all see a noticeable class difference between McGregor and Mendes, and I don't see it being in Chad's favour.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say Mendes actually has a lot to lose. Beaten twice by the champion and the potential to lose to the incumbent champion. That'd a pretty much write off any title challenges for a long time.

Couldn't agree more! I feel, as I'm sure many do, that Edgar should really have got the call up. I'd be a lot more excited to see that fight! He's coming off a 4 fight win streak, with arguably a tougher set of fights than Mendes has had and Mendes has also already just lost to Aldo. Mendes must be over the moon with his luck but as you say on the other hand a loss to McGregor will see him probably another 3/4 fights away from another title shot.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Hard to know how much of a 'douchebag' he is or isn't, but he came off absolutely terrible in that bar fight incident a few years ago, I've never really warmed to him

Charges that were denied and dropped a few years back? Nobody has ever said a bad word about him on this forum till now he is fighting McGregor.

Couldn't agree more! I feel, as I'm sure many do, that Edgar should really have got the call up. I'd be a lot more excited to see that fight! He's coming off a 4 fight win streak, with arguably a tougher set of fights than Mendes has had and Mendes has also already just lost to Aldo. Mendes must be over the moon with his luck but as you say on the other hand a loss to McGregor will see him probably another 3/4 fights away from another title shot.

From listening to McGregor talk he had a huge input into who he was fighting, I would say if he was going to fight Edgar he would want more time to prepare and who could blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

magma69 wrote: »
    New thread with a new poll imo.

I can set up a new one no problem at all and copy the information in the OP over but not sure how people feel about clutter and discussion on here being locked?

What do people/the moderators think? New thread and poll or no point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What does interim title mean?
    Winner gets the title for a short period of time , but has to give it back to Aldo, or fight Aldo with the title on the line.

is it just me or does anyone not see the whole edgar call up thing as ****e??? he'd be poll axed I think. he's tiny, even when fighting as the champ for years (best of which are long behind him) he was getting through but with a lot of damage. The sun has set on Frankie I think, how he got through the maynard fight is unreal but with hands like McGregor and the style being so unorthodox, edgar would be destroyed I feel. to long a reach, closing distance so well, which siver commented on, the kicks would start to add up.

What does interim title mean?
    Winner gets the title for a short period of time , but has to give it back to Aldo, or fight Aldo with the title on the line.

Winner guaranteed the title shot basically.

is it just me or does anyone not see the whole edgar call up thing as ****e??? he'd be poll axed I think. he's tiny, even when fighting as the champ for years (best of which are long behind him) he was getting through but with a lot of damage. The sun has set on Frankie I think, how he got through the maynard fight is unreal but with hands like McGregor and the style being so unorthodox, edgar would be destroyed I feel. to long a reach, closing distance so well, which siver commented on, the kicks would start to add up.

Jesus christ i have heard it all now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement