Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

So is the general consensus In here that no matter who Conor fights he will destroy them because he's just so class?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Davei141 wrote: »
    Charges that were denied and dropped a few years back? Nobody has ever said a bad word about him on this forum till now he is fighting McGregor.

The more serious charges were dropped when he accepted a lesser charge and paid a fine, which isn't the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Although if McGregor is as ice cold as he seems to be and doesn’t let any of this bother him matched with the classic SBG slogan of that every opponent is faceless and they don’t plan for one guy then I think Conor can make short work of Mendes with his reach and power.

Funny they say that, heard from a source in SBG that the day the statement went out last week about Aldo fight being on/poss interim fight with mendes was the same day 2 Bulgarian Olympic wrestlers who teach in the gym flew to Vegas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Gunner's last fight where he got boxed around showed that if a wrestler can't get you to the ground then your main strength is nullified. Could conor do the same to Chad and just box the head off him and not allow him to get close enough to take him to the floor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tox56 wrote: »
    The more serious charges were dropped when he accepted a lesser charge and paid a fine, which isn't the same thing

Every time he is interviewed or before/during/after his fights he is class act, but by all means judge him completely on incident from years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

sheehy83 wrote: »
    That's a running theme with Team Alpha Male and tbh Chad isn't the worst out of them. A McGregor win will be a nice little bonus as a knock to TAM.

Tommy Toe Hold has made a brilliant video about the whole thing :D

Thats it exactly theyre getting a bad reputation for it, who was it called them the ''frat boys of mma''? pretty apt with the way they go on, Dillashaw is the exact same. Still though kindve impossible to not like Faber at the same time...or Paige but the less said about that the better! :D

Edit: also I'll admit I'm going to be biased against any guy Conors fighting cause I'm a McGregor fan, not gonna apologise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Desmonddoyle

So is the general consensus In here that no matter who Conor fights he will destroy them because he's just so class?

McGregor said so didn't he - get with the hype man.:D

The UFC surely wouldn't risk McGregor losing, would they ? They throw in a reasonable opponent so not to lose the card, and still get the now even more eagerly awaiting super fight showdown with Aldo.

I would laugh for a week if McGregor got pummelled.

I think using the word class to describe McGregor is misplaced - I have rarely seen anyone display less class in how they conduct themselves. He's a twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I don't know where this Jose Aldo retirement talk is coming from and I know he's been around a while.

He's only 28!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

I don't know where this Jose Aldo retirement talk is coming from and I know he's been around a while.

He's only 28!

Accumulative damage, body worn out etc. etc.

Every time he is interviewed or before/during/after his fights he is class act, but by all means judge him completely on incident from years ago.

Jon Jones was a class act for the cameras at the start of his career, I don't see how judging him on that incident is any more flimsy than judging him on interviews. I wasn't even labelling him a douchebag, I just don't particularly like him

• Advertisement

He's only 28!

I don't think he'll retire but you can't just go on age. He's not that much older than McGregor but McGregor started his ufc career 2 years ago, Aldo started in the UFC/WEC seven years ago.

He'll probably move up to 155 after his next fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Funny they say that, heard from a source in SBG that the day the statement went out last week about Aldo fight being on/poss interim fight with mendes was the same day 2 Bulgarian Olympic wrestlers who teach in the gym flew to Vegas

I wouldn't put much faith in your "source" to be honest, they are wrong.

Clive wrote: »
    I wouldn't put much faith in your "source" to be honest, they are wrong.

"According to Sky Sources" :P

Tox56 wrote: »
    Jon Jones was a class act for the cameras at the start of his career, I don't see how judging him on that incident is any more flimsy than judging him on interviews. I wasn't even labelling him a douchebag, I just don't particularly like him

Fair enough, but everyone thought JJ was a twat long before his incidents. Don't see anyone within the MMA world disliking Mendes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Pulse8 wrote: »

Wouldnt put much pass on that anyway...I cant imagine he hasnt trained with them already, has Sergey Pikulskiy out with him too and it looks likes after moving the majority of SBG into the MacMansion at this stage anyway so it wouldnt really be news them flying out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Wouldnt put much pass on that anyway...I cant imagine he hasnt trained with them already, has Sergey Pikulskiy out with him too and it looks likes after moving the majority of SBG into the MacMansion at this stage anyway so it wouldnt really be news them flying out.

There is still a good few hundred here in the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Pity about Aldo as was looking forward to that. Still think the Menses match up will be exciting and I think it will go substantially longer than the 4 minute prediction from McGregor.
    Quick question to erase my curiosity, what are the 5 title fights Aldo has pulled out of / delayed?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd say Mendes actually has a lot to lose. Beaten twice by the champion and the potential to lose to the incumbent champion. That'd a pretty much write off any title challenges for a long time.

I wouldn't say so. Taking a fight on short notice (especially a “title” fight) won’t be held against him as much. If Mendes loses it will be: well he took the fight on 2 weeks’ notice and McGregor had a full camp.

I don’t see that going against Mendes in a run for the belt again, give him Frankie/Holloway/Lamas 2 and he’s back in the mix with a win.

But I was thinking in terms of mind sets anyway, Mendes won’t be worried about taking this fight. He’ll be thriving on it, a chance to take the interim belt and secure another rematch with Aldo. In that sense it’s everything to gain for him and fairly little to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

The poll should be changed now.
    Don't ever ask me to do that again. That was a poxy nightmare to do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Obviously feel bad for the people heading over, Aldo Vs McGregor is the fight we all wanted to see. But to be honest I'm kinda glad Aldo has pulled out, much rather see McGregor fight a fit Mendes than an injured Aldo.

I think Aldo prob could've fought with the injury but I'm convinced he would've missed weight, would've been a nightmare for him to cut weight with that injury IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Stop feeling sorry for us, we are heading to Vegas to see McGregor fight for a belt, its grand.

I don't feel bad for them, just very jealous :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Jesus christ i have heard it all now.

I'm actually inclined to agree with some of his points. Whilst I don't think Frankie is on the wain, I do think he's an easier opponent than Mendes. Chad has a better wrestling pedigree(open to correction on that) and also has way more power in his hands. I don't think Frankie has the ability to hurt Conor whereas I think Chad does.

Could see Conor walking Frankie down. I think he'll be a bit more cautious of the over hand rights that Mendes throws.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Gunner's last fight where he got boxed around showed that if a wrestler can't get you to the ground then your main strength is nullified. Could conor do the same to Chad and just box the head off him and not allow him to get close enough to take him to the floor?

There is a big difference between Gunner and Mendes. Mendes is not one dimensional as Conor eluded too in that interview.

Could he? Maybe, but this is Chad Mendes, he has only ever lost 2 fights and they were both to the no.1 featherweight in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This works out that Conor has an 8" reach advantage over Mendes. That's incredible. No way Mendes stands and bangs with Conor.

I think we'll see a fight similar to Esparza vs. Jędrzejczyk, where Mendes will be lit up on the feet and in the takedown attempts. Whether he can keep Conor down on the mat has to be his #1 priority, and I don't think he'll do it.

McGregor by TKO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Going for Conor by decision in the Mendes fight.

I think Chad will struggle to close the distance enough to fully utilise his takedowns. I don't think McGregor will KO him as I did Aldo (the injury was swinging it that way for me) as he can certainly take punishment in his stride, but I think Conor can do enough to pick him off and take rounds in a comfortable-ish decision. 49-46.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The poll should be changed now.
    Don't ever ask me to do that again. That was a poxy nightmare to do. :D

If only you had made it public mate so we can use it as a stick to beat each other with when we're wrong! :pac:

I'm actually inclined to agree with some of his points. Whilst I don't think Frankie is on the wain, I do think he's an easier opponent than Mendes. Chad has a better wrestling pedigree(open to correction on that) and also has way more power in his hands. I don't think Frankie has the ability to hurt Conor whereas I think Chad does.

Could see Conor walking Frankie down. I think he'll be a bit more cautious of the over hand rights that Mendes throws.

Saying you think Mendes has a better chance than Edgar is a very valid opinion, what he said though was nonsense "Edgar getting smashed, no chance". It defies all logic, this guy went toe to toe with the very best of both divisions and never got smashed or soundly beaten in his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I think the reach will be too much for Mendes to effectively close the distance.

if Mendes cannot take him down he is getting knocked out.

Really do not think this is going anywhere near a decision.

TKO Conor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Seriously.

Seriously what? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

nice to see a real test for Conor, before a title fight. If he defeats Mendes handily, he will deserve that title shot and will go into the fight with Aldo as the favourite.

magma69 wrote: »
    Seriously what? :confused:

You used the lords name in vain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

No way Mendes has enough in tank to win this.

He hasnt had any sort of a training camp.

He will gas badly.

CmcG TKO

nice to see a real test for Conor, before a title fight. If he defeats Mendes handily, he will deserve that title shot and will go into the fight with Aldo as the favourite.

Agree with everything except this. Why would he be favoured If he beat Mendes? (something Aldo has done twice in the past 3 years.) Against a guy who hasn't lost in over 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

:rolleyes:

I thought there was a noticeable class difference between McGregor and Siver, and while I don't see it being quite as large as that, I do think McGregor will be comfortable enough in the ring v Mendes.

That reach advantage and overall size advantage is just huge. You factor that in with a smaller training camp/prepartion etc, and I can't see Mendes winning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Does it really matter about who's favourite etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xtal191 wrote: »
    I think Aldo prob could've fought with the injury but I'm convinced he would've missed weight, would've been a nightmare for him to cut weight with that injury IMO.

The injury wouldn't have affect the weight cut. Two weeks out he should be close to cage weight. From there it's water/salt manipulation. If he's got a lb or two of fat to lose, that's all about diet.
    Moving less means you need to eat less.

Jesus christ i have heard it all now.

id be very wary of mendes and even lamas but jesus Christ or not, Frankie edgar has way to many miles on the clock now.. that's the beauty of opinions, they differ, makes life interesting. "hearing it all now" doesn't detract from things based on hypothesis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Am I alone in thinking that in credibility terms, Conor has a lot more to gain by beating Mendes than he does by beating Aldo? Surely a comprehensive and convincing victory over Mendes will silence his doubters and anyone saying that he cant handle an elite level wrestler.

Also, does anyone know how this affects his PPV bonuses, if at all?

there's a huge perception out there that McGregor cannot handle a wrestler, so in that respect, YES a win would put that to bed. there's no doubt he can stand up and has good hands, so lets see them in action with mendes.

anyway conor talks about adaptive behaviour and evolving etc, if there's truth to his philosophy, it will be a win!! IN THEORY!

id just hate to see a night of pure leg grabbing!! it's MMA not wrestling!!

• Advertisement

John_D80 wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking that in credibility terms, Conor has a lot more to gain by beating Mendes than he does by beating Aldo? Surely a comprehensive and convincing victory over Mendes will silence his doubters and anyone saying that he cant handle an elite level wrestler.

Well yes, because what you're saying is implying that Mendes is a more credible fighter than Aldo which he is not.

However I still think a win over Mendes for McGregor is huge. Of course Mendes has only had a 2 week training camp so he is at a disadvantage but regardless, If Conor can beat him, he will gain a lot more credibility.

rusty cole wrote: »
    there's a huge perception out there that McGregor cannot handle a wrestler, so in that respect, YES a win would put that to bed. there's no doubt he can stand up and has good hands, so lets see them in action with mendes.

anyway conor talks about adaptive behaviour and evolving etc, if there's truth to his philosophy, it will be a win!! IN THEORY!

id just hate to see a night of pure leg grabbing!! it's MMA not wrestling!!

Wrestling is a form of Martial Art...

Knex. wrote: »
    I thought there was a noticeable class difference between McGregor and Siver, and while I don't see it being quite as large as that, I do think McGregor will be comfortable enough in the ring v Mendes.

That reach advantage and overall size advantage is just huge. You factor that in with a smaller training camp/prepartion etc, and I can't see Mendes winning.

Mendes isn't Siver...
    id be very wary of mendes and even lamas but jesus Christ or not, Frankie edgar has way to many miles on the clock now.. that's the beauty of opinions, they differ, makes life interesting. "hearing it all now" doesn't detract from things based on hypothesis!!

It is based on zero facts and zero evidence. Just some random thought that popped into your head.

Beating Aldo is the pinnacle no matter what anyone says about wrestlers.

paul McKenna???? is that you???? it's the mind reader and inception
    impresario emself!!

Just random thought's in your head. get a grip will ya...

Well yes, because what you're saying is implying that Mendes is a more credible fighter than Aldo which he is not.

However I still think a win over Mendes for McGregor is huge. Of course Mendes has only had a 2 week training camp so he is at a disadvantage but regardless, If Conor can beat him, he will gain a lot more credibility.

Wait are you contradicting me or yourself here? ;-)

Wait are you contradicting me or yourself here? ;-)

Please elaborate

Beating Aldo is the pinnacle no matter what anyone says about wrestlers.

Of course this is the case, he is champ after all. But solely in terms of silencing critics, wouldn't McGregor have a lot more to gain by beating Mendes?

Had the Aldo fight gone ahead, and McGregor won, there would still be the usual naysayers and excuse-makers peddling the same old crap about him not being able for the high level wrestlers in the division.

I dont necessarily agree with people who say he should have fought Mendes or Edgar first but there can be no ambiguity from here on in as to who the real #1 contender really is.

Of course this is the case, he is champ after all. But solely in terms of silencing critics, wouldn't McGregor have a lot more to gain by beating Mendes?

Had the Aldo fight gone ahead, and McGregor won, there would still be the usual naysayers and excuse-makers peddling the same old crap about him not being able for the high level wrestlers in the division.

I dont necessarily agree with people who say he should have fought Mendes or Edgar first but there can be no ambiguity from here on in as to who the real #1 contender really is.

What difference does this make? If you beat the champion fair and square, you are the no.1 fighter in your division no matter what the "naysayers" or excuse makers say. With opinions aside It Is the only true measure of who is currently the best fighter in the division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well one thing is for sure, Dana White will be praying to whatever God he believes in that CMcG doesn't get beat by Mendes.

• Advertisement

paul McKenna???? is that you???? it's the mind reader and inception
    impresario emself!!

Just random thought's in your head. get a grip will ya...

This makes more sense than you talking about Edgar.

Come on, in no universe is beating Mendes going to gain more credibility because a pocket of MMA fans say he can't fight a wrestler.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement