Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 189 -Chad Mendes v Conor McGregor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

What difference does this make? If you beat the champion fair and square, you are the no.1 fighter in your division no matter what the "naysayers" or excuse makers say. With opinions aside It Is the only true measure of who is currently the best fighter in the division.

Perhaps you didn't read (or misread) the opening sentence of the post you just quoted. I clearly said 'solely in terms of silencing his critics'. Different issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Aldo said recently that he wanted to retire as champ like GSP did.......

I can see it happening to be honest. No amount of money is worth it to him if it means losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

nc19 wrote: »

I can see it happening to be honest. No amount of money is worth it to him if it means losing

Not so sure about that, this fight was twice or three times bigger than most paydays.

Davei141 wrote: »
    This makes more sense than you talking about Edgar.

Come on, in no universe is beating Mendes going to gain more credibility because a pocket of MMA fans say he can't fight a wrestler.

that would nearly be an insult where it not for you lack of imagination!

Come on, in no universe is beating Mendes going to gain more credibility because a pocket of MMA fans say he can't fight a wrestler.

I'd say its considerably more than a pocket though. They are for the most part talking utter sh1te of course but to be fair, his percieved inability to handle wrestlers is the main criticism levelled at him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

As if aldos wrestling is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Gonna be an interesting fight.

Connor has the advantage standing up. Longer reach and more of a boxing background, plus a nice selection of kicks to choose from. While Chad's stand up has improved significantly his foot movement is non existent, very rigid. Both have knockout power though.

On the ground you would have to stay Chad. But Connor is a big lad and will be hard to hold down.

Also, a two week camp? No doubt he's been hitting the gym but will Mendes be in top shape? I don't know.

Leaning towards Connor, but will be close. Hopefully a good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

John_D80 wrote: »
    I'd say its considerably more than a pocket though. They are for the most part talking utter sh1te of course but to be fair, his percieved inability to handle wrestlers is the main criticism levelled at him.

But if we find out he can hang with a wrestler (which i believe he can) that hardly means much if you can't beat Aldo. So being Aldo is the highest achievement. The critics will be critics regardless.

But if we find out he can hang with a wrestler (which i believe he can) that hardly means much if you can't beat Aldo. So being Aldo is the highest achievement. The critics will be critics regardless.

Of course beating Aldo is the top prize but as a standalone achievement, championship accolades notwithstanding, beating Mendes will silence a lot more critics than beating Aldo would IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AndThatsAFact

Lads where is the best place to put a few pound on conor McGregor with the best odds?

• Advertisement

Of course beating Aldo is the top prize but as a standalone achievement, championship accaolades notwithstanding, beating Mendes will silence a lot more critics than beating Aldo would IMO.

How like think about what you're saying

Aldo has beaten Mendes twice, he is undefeated champion.

There is some nonsense been talked here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

If McGregor beats Mendes, it's because Mendes didn't have enough training.

If McGregor then later beats Aldo, it must have something to do with the ribs or the delay in training.

If McGregor then beats Edgar, sure he is on the way out.

He can't win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Agree with everything except this. Why would he be favoured If he beat Mendes? (something Aldo has done twice in the past 3 years.) Against a guy who hasn't lost in over 10 years?

Because aldo and mcgregor were pretty much even odds before inury was announced, conor beating Mendes would only shorten the odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Ugh, gutted. Was hoping this was just Aldo trying to get inside McGregor's head.

Don't like that it's for the belt, but with the money the UFC have put into this I can understand their reasoning.
    Mendes and McGregor is still a huge fight. All the FW's must love him really with the amount of attention he has brought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Saipanne wrote: »

If McGregor then later beats Aldo, it must have something to do with the ribs or the delay in training.

He can't win...

Come off it, if he rattles of those three wins there will be mass hysteric P4P/GOAT talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He can't win...

Simple, just beat them all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

JustTheOne wrote: »
    How like think about what you're saying

Aldo has beaten Mendes twice, he is undefeated champion.

There is some nonsense been talked here.
    What he's saying is 100% correct. (If I'm understanding it correctly.)

Conor has gotten a lot of stick from people saying he hasn't been tested against a strong wrestler and he'll be shown up when he does face one.
    Mendes is an excellent wrestler and if Conor handles him well and wins, then that'll silence those critics a bit.
    I don't think anyone is saying that beating Mendes is a greater achievement than beating Aldo.

I'm illustrating the point that you will never shut the critics up, no matter who he beats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

Gonna be an interesting fight.

Connor has the advantage standing up. Longer reach and more of a boxing background, plus a nice selection of kicks to choose from. While Chad's stand up has improved significantly his foot movement is non existent, very rigid. Both have knockout power though.

On the ground you would have to stay Chad. But Connor is a big lad and will be hard to hold down.

Also, a two week camp? No doubt he's been hitting the gym but will Mendes be in top shape? I don't know.

Leaning towards Connor, but will be close. Hopefully a good fight.

i thought Chads movement was very good for a lot of the Aldo fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Perhaps you didn't read (or misread) the opening sentence of the post you just quoted. I clearly said 'solely in terms of silencing his critics'. Different issue.

i did read your opening sentence. Solely in terms of silencing critics beating the no.1 fighter and the champ who hasn't lost in over 10 years would silence them a hell of a lot more than beating the guy who lost to the champ twice and had a two week training camp.
    nc19 wrote: »

Are you trying to suggest Aldo was afraid to fight McGregor?

He can't win...

If,If,If, If he beats any of them there are no excuses, they will be big ones, no matter what happens critics will be critics.
    Because aldo and mcgregor were pretty much even odds before inury was announced, conor beating Mendes would only shorten the odds

Who gives a sh1t about odds??? Aldo is the favourite against anyone he faces unless there's reason to believe any different. His accomplishments and accolades and fighting ability are superior to every other featherweight right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

What happens if this is all just one big joke and they go to step on the scales and Aldo walks out?

Dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Mendes is a seriously strong fighter and in Aldo vs. Mendes 2, he was dishing out some serious damage.

Given the fact Conor only has 2 weeks of prep for this I think Mendes will just go for the takedown every time and smother him. Play the safe game and win on points instead of a flashy K.O. against a good standing fighter.

I know Conor has a good ground game but he's been prepping for a decent standup the past few months.

My heart says Conor but my head says Mendes.

Can we please just agree that bookies odds by no means gives an idea of what way a fight will go or who will get the most respect from each fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't think Mendes is a bad guy just comes off as bit of a dweeb to me, I certainly don't hate him or anything but not the type of personality i would be drawn too.

But Team Alpha Man is the most douchiest team alive. First off the name is so ridiculously douchey. Such Southern California bro douchey "I'm so Alpha bro".

Now has anybody actually googled their website? http://teamalphamale.com/

Jesus Fcuking Christ

It's like an advertisement for a gay steel mill. A bunch of greased up lads with black jizz on their face. All i could think of was this "We work hard, we play hard"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I...

question: How prepared in Mendes for this fight?
    granted Mcgregor was training for Aldo but he has still put in a decent training camp , in terms of time.

Has Mendes been preparing as a possible alternate or is he now gonna rush a 2-3 week camp ?
    No matter how "in shape" mendes is , a title fight with 3 weeks of a training camp is a bit "brave".

or have a missed something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads where is the best place to put a few pound on conor McGregor with the best odds?

Paddy Power, 888 Sport, Unibet or 32Red:

http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/chad-mendes-v-conor-mcgregor/winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Caliden wrote: »
    Mendes is a seriously strong fighter and in Aldo vs. Mendes 2, he was dishing out some serious damage.
    Jose-Aldo-post-UFC-179-intvw-750x370.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Jose-Aldo-post-UFC-179-intvw-750x370.jpg

If Conor hit aldo the same amount of times mendes did, he would have knocked him out 10 times over!

arayess wrote: »
    question: How prepared in Mendes for this fight?
    granted Mcgregor was training for Aldo but he has still put in a decent training camp , in terms of time.

Has Mendes been preparing as a possible alternate or is he now gonna rush a 2-3 week camp ?
    No matter how "in shape" mendes is , a title fight with 3 weeks of a training camp is a bit "brave".

Question: why are you asking me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Its pretty admirable of both McGregor and Mendes to go ahead with this fight, all things considered.

Short notice and both could have taken the easy route and waited till a more favourable time and situation, but they're game to go.

The huge money involved will definitely help, but its probably a sign of two guys who are very confident in their abilities and hopefully we'll get a good fight.

Dave 101 wrote: »
    If Conor hit aldo the same amount of times mendes did, he would have knocked him out 10 times over!

Hahaha, I love things like this. Mendes did extremely well to land so many punches on Aldo, It takes a lot of ability,technique and intelligence to land consistently on Aldo, not just anyone can do It.

Sure If I was allowed to punch Aldo in the face ten times I'd be pretty confident I could knock him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

arayess wrote: »

How much training do you think he's done since his last fight, 3 months ago?
    Do you think Mendes gets out of shape between fights?

I don't get why people are acting like Chad is coming out of retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Mendez was saying on MMA hour he is always in shape etc, if he uses excuses then play back his interview to him

Mellor wrote: »

I don't get why people are acting like Chad is coming out of retirement.

I don't think anybody is acting like that, It's just a fact that McGregor will be more prepared than Mendes.

Mellor wrote: »

I don't ger why people are acting like Chad is coming out of retirement.

He has had 2 weeks notice, sure he stays in shape but lets not pretend 2 weeks notice is no big deal to fight elite competition.

• Advertisement

Hahaha, I love things like this. Mendes did extremely well to land so many punches on Aldo, It takes a lot of ability,technique and intelligence to land consistently on Aldo, not just anyone can do It.

Sure If I was allowed to punch Aldo in the face ten times I'd be pretty confident I could knock him out.

I wouldn't say you would, yes mendes did well , but hasn't got power Conor has that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Question: why are you asking me?

cos you strut about this forum like you know things....:pac:

nah,, it was just based on the point you made , the question wasn't entirely directed at you

I wouldn't say you would, yes mendes did well , but hasn't got power Conor has that's all

And what are either of those statements based on?

Based on what? Both have KO power so you are pulling that out of your arse.

Mendes would have been on standby for this situation

And seems aldo has pulled out of half his fights the odds would have been strong for this happening

Don't be fooled into thinking Mendes wasn't preparing properly for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

xtal191 wrote: »
    Obviously feel bad for the people heading over, Aldo Vs McGregor is the fight we all wanted to see. But to be honest I'm kinda glad Aldo has pulled out, much rather see McGregor fight a fit Mendes than an injured Aldo.

I think Aldo prob could've fought with the injury but I'm convinced he would've missed weight, would've been a nightmare for him to cut weight with that injury IMO.

Did you see that documentary they did where they tested everything, punch and kick speed and power and said McGregor is the Elite of the Elite. I reckon Conor has far more KO power than anybody at 145. See what he did to Poirier? Nobody has done that ever to Poirier. The man has ridiculous power.

Have sparred with both of them, we'll see when Conor puts aldo away when they do fight

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

As someone who has only recently jumped on the MMA bandwagon how much of a chance realistically does Mendes have against Conor?

Is this over before is has even begun for Mendes?

Have sparred with both of them, we'll see when Conor puts aldo away when they do fight

.... you sparred with Chad Mendes and Conor McGregor?

KO of the night against Clay Guida!? Don't be fooled, Mendes has power!

Edit: And I forgot I actually saw this one live in Australia: v Yaotzin Meza

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    As someone who has only recently jumped on the MMA bandwagon how much of a chance realistically does Mendes have against Conor?

Is this over before is has even began for Mendes?

Certainly not. Mendes has only ever lost to Aldo. Nobody else. Saying that I reckon Conor to win by KO/TKO

KO of the night against Clay Guida!? Don't be fooled, Mendes has power!

I didn't say he didn't

I won't question whether you have or not because you might have. But If you did then surely you would know enough about fighting to see that's It's not as simple as who has the stronger punch, your first statement was laughable If you are a trained fighter.

Mendes has a good chance I would say 45%/55% in McGregors favour but don't be surprised to see either one win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

I think Mendes has a huge chance. Not only those Chad possess massive knockout power he's also an All American Wrestler.

If Conor can stuff his takedowns and start landing in the early going I'll be alot more confident.

Very worried for McGregor here to be honest. Would have much preferred they went with Diaz and fought Aldo in 3 months.

In saying that, I still expect McGregor to win. Have a bad feeling about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Gutted to hear this morning , but what can you do. What is the craic with Aldo pulling out of so many fights? Is he suiting himself , crying wolf or do you reckon he is genuinely afraid of being beaten by McGregor and trying to put it off for more training , maybe hoping Mendes will beat McGregor and he won't have to fight him and can retire as champion?

Not good for the UFC this , he is a champion and should act like one. Pulling out of 5 title fights isn't good either he training is wrong or he's a bit precious. Plenty have fought with a bruised rib.

As for Mendes now, I agree it shouldn't be a title fight at all as neither are champion but maybe the UFC is sending Jose a message here with this as well because he has pulled out of so many fights. I think if they felt it was genuine and he hadn't a history with it they may have not brought the interim belt in at all.

I know most on here support Conor and want him to win , I do as well but lads nobody really has a clue how much KO power he has over Mendes unless any of you have actual fought him or taken a punch off him so saying he'll kill him with his power and that is a bit rubbish, I've watched both fighters and their both very good , very powerfull with differant styles and that's as much as anyone really knows for sure.

Hope it's a good fight anyway! Hopefully Conor wins , if not Aldo may have pulled off a master stroke here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement